Thread: Interpol calls for Iraq vice-president Hashemi's arrest

Default Interpol calls for Iraq vice-president Hashemi's arrest

(*******) - Interpol called for the arrest of fugitive Iraqi Vice-President Tareq al-Hashemi at the request of Iraqi authorities on Tuesday on suspicion of planning attacks, a move likely to complicate attempts to defuse Iraq's political crisis.

Hashemi, a Sunni Muslim politician with the Iraqiya bloc, fled Baghdad in December when the Shi'ite-led government accused him of running death squads, a dispute that risked upsetting a delicate power-sharing agreement.

The vice-president, who is in Istanbul, has denied he was involved in murdering six judges and other officials. He says the charges are politically motivated and has refused to stand trial in Baghdad.

"My defense lawyer will present an appeal to Interpol in the next few days," Hashemi said in a statement. "I won't submit to pressure and blackmail."

(r.e.u.t.e.r.s)
    http://www.*******.com/article/2012/...8470Y420120508

I didn't think INTERPOL typically called for arrests but rather informed all member countries about people who have warrants out of a serious nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro C9 View Post
    I didn't think INTERPOL typically called for arrests but rather informed all member countries about people who have warrants out of a serious nature.
    Yeah. Stupid headline.

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

Sunni-shiite divide? Now that a Sunni is in the crosshairs, Aljarzeera remembers the divide? Who woulda thunk?.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

Al Jazeera wasn't around when Saddam was.

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

^^ wasn't saying they were. Rather, I was referring to their reports (or lack off) about Syria, Bahrain, where the Sunni-Shiite divide was evidently at the crux of the issue, but doesn't exactly suite their "narrative". Hence, they conveniently ignore that divide as a major underlying issue. I realize my initial post wasn't clear enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gresh View Post
    Yeah. Stupid headline.
    Not much wrong with the headline. Interpol issued a red notice which is the closest thing to an arrest warrant that can be issued by Interpol as they do not have the authority to issue arrest warrants in the formal sense of the word given the sovereignty of the member state. so yea, they are indeed calling for his arrest.
    Last edited by Universals; 05-08-2012 at 09:50 PM.