In my opinion we need to recolonise the joint again. If more then anything the past 50 odd years has proven that the West pulled out way too soon. Many countries are now worse off then what they where when they were colonies.
This time however I would.
1. Redraw national boundries consistant with ethnical divisions. Lets be honest, most conflict in Africa can directly be attributed to ethnic rivalry.
2. Before they start ruling themselves democracy and rule of law must be in place for at least 10 years.
3. Schools should be compulsory
4. Child Labour and slavery needs to be abolished.
5. The continent except for peacekeepers and North Africa and South Africa need to be completely and demilitarised.
6. No wealth generated by natural resources is to be handled by the people themselves but by an international commission, not under the control the United Nations and spent only on critical infrastructure, education and health. Costs attributed to any occupation should also be split 50-50 between the coloniser and the natian being occupied.
7. The occupation will last until such a time when elected officials and beurocrats no longer have any ties to former regimes.
Africa's problems are for Africans to fix...if they want my personal help all they have to do is email me....I'd be happy to if I felt I could affect positive and lasting change.
Personally, I reckon mother nature is a bit overdue in culling the sh!t out of us stroppy little self-important bugs.
Just as long as my family isn't under the magnifying glass getting fried like an ant.
We are in bad, bad shape when it comes to energy production.
No matter how much you drill, no matter how realistically optimistic you are with energy production/efficiency, we are running into a wall.
The only way to "fix" it so a good chunk of people on the planet can continue down a reasonably similar standard of living path is for heaps to die or worse, move into the dark ages.
The numbers don't stack up and there's NO saviors on the foreseeable horizon ALT energy wise....none.
So it's the usual old school prison rules, the ones we pretended we didn't know or use anymore because we went all temporarily civilized and enlightened.
Look after your own tribe.....steal what you can for as long as you can.....country to country, culture to culture....tribe to tribe....that's how it seems we are wired.