Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on 40mm Grenades

The most of the military explosives aren't going to explode if shot through or set on fire etc. As everyone can probably imagine it would be quite counter productive if this wasn't a case. They have gone through a great trouble to invent explosives that are only going to blow up when they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoror View Post
    Yep you are right James and that has modified the pattern of wounds epidemiology
    However comparison with WWII and Vietnam still shows that even back in those days, central mass wounds were not the majority (check more specificaly that article : http://www.wheelessonline.com/userfiles/19-1-1.pdf especially fig n2 )
    Extremities come always first then astonishely head/neck come second
    If I'm not mistaken most soldiers wounded from WWI to the present were from artillery/mortar/IED.

In a suit, with a pipe, pondering how to retort

Quote Originally Posted by Mordoror View Post
    Extremities come always first then astonishely head/neck come second
    I'd guess that's because that's the head/neck are more exposed than the torso when you're leaning over/around cover? If you're looking at an enemy position, you need line of sight to it, while your torso can be safely behind the wall/sandbags/earth.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    If I'm not mistaken most soldiers wounded from WWI to the present were from artillery/mortar/IED.
    http://history.amedd.army.mil/booksd...cs/default.htm
    an interesting study

Potty trained to the excess kerfuffled's Avatar

^^^That is indeed interesting. While it is valuable information it must have been very disturbing work compiling all that gruesome information.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Correct. Indirect fire is the highest cause of casualties on battlefield since WWI and up to "modern era" when it became replaced by smart and precise air dropped ordnance

I'd guess that's because that's the head/neck are more exposed than the torso when you're leaning over/around cover? If you're looking at an enemy position, you need line of sight to it, while your torso can be safely behind the wall/sandbags/earth.
    Didn't thought about that but make sense