Thread: Indonesia ditches Dutch tank deal, goes to Germany instead

Default Indonesia ditches Dutch tank deal, goes to Germany instead

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Indonesia has abandoned plans to buy 80 second-hand tanks from the Dutch army and has placed the order with Germany instead, according to local media reports.

[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]According to the Jakarta Post, the government opted to do business with Germany because it 'offered more security about the delivery date and the number of tanks'.

[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]A majority of Dutch MPs had opposed the sale because of the human rights situation in Indonesia. The deal would have generated €200m towards the defence ministry budget.

more: http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...tch_tank_d.php[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is probably the first time that a country has chosen Germany because of better chances of delivery in such a case.

Usually the fears over human rights are the thing that stops many German exports.

[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]
    Indonesia said Tuesday it had pulled out of a $280 million deal to buy 100 Leopard battle tanks from the Netherlands after waiting several months for the Dutch parliament to approve the sale.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]The Netherlands’ minority government planned to sell the tanks to raise money for unmanned drones, but the majority of parties in parliament opposed the deal because of Jakarta’s poor human rights record, Dutch media reported.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]“We are disappointed because we were serious in wanting to buy the Dutch tanks,” defense ministry spokesman Hartind Asrin told AFP.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]“We had gone to the warehouse to look at them and they were good. The price was also right, at around $280 million.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]“The Dutch government was agreeable to the deal, but the Dutch parliament kept us waiting. There was still no approval after eight to nine months of waiting, so last week we called off the deal,” he said.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/...ks-deal/528362

-------

I think this is the real reason.

Nice. We do business even with Saudi Arabia so wtf...

From what I heard, tanks will be from German stocks. Some Leopard 2A6's and some Leopard 2A4's upgraded to A6 variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Reader View Post
    This is probably the first time that a country has chosen Germany because of better chances of delivery in such a case.

Usually the fears over human rights are the thing that stops many German exports.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefrog View Post

-------

The human rights issue was one of the principal reasons why the Dutch parliament had its doubts about the deal, as the article points out. Who knows what the Bundestag has to say about the matter?

Quote Originally Posted by RSone View Post
    The human rights issue was one of the principal reasons why the Dutch parliament had its doubts about the deal, as the article points out. Who knows what the Bundestag has to say about the matter?
    Just the normal charade. The usual suspects will cry big crocodile tears over this "fascist and murderous export deal" and play the outraged for as long as there is some media attention. Afterwards no on gives a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by variable View Post
    Nice. We do business even with Saudi Arabia so wtf...
    Saudi Arabia a very rich country. We have to sell to someone i guess

Scuttling between Amsterdam and Marseille

I'm fine with this.

Why should Germans consider human rights issue when Saudis gets 84 F-15, rather than more EF-2000, and if they refuse they will buy more Uncle Sam Abrams stuff ... but are these new or second-hand ones?! They probably wanted 80 just retired 2A6 from Dutch.

Indonesian Army to buy German Leopard 2A6 MBTs

[*******#333333][FONT=arial]
    The Indonesian Army is planning to purchase up to 100 refurbished Leopard 2A6 main battle tanks (MBTs) from Germany in a $280m deal, following a failure to finalise acquisition of similar tanks with the Dutch Government.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=arial]Lieutenant general Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin, Indonesian deputy defence minister, said the that his country's Ministry of Defence (MoD) had ruled out previous plans as there was no assurance from the Netherlands Government.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=arial]"We have stopped the ongoing processes with the Netherlands to let us focus on the procurement from Germany," Sjamsoeddin added. "We chose Germany because we can have certainties in terms of time of procurement and volume to meet our needs."[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=arial]The sale of Leopard tanks to Indonesia, originally approved by Netherlands in November 2011, was strongly opposed by Dutch legislators, citing rampant human rights violations across the archipelago, especially in Papua New Guinea.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://www.army-technology.com/news/...2a6-mbts-deal/

I wouldn't hold my breath over this... Germany probably won't sell anything to them.

Quote Originally Posted by icefrog View Post
    [*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif][/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]

-------

The real reason was fear from some Dutch political parties that these tanks would be used by Indonesia against its own citizens, i.e. in Papua.

I guess the Germans don't care about that risk...

Quote Originally Posted by JJHH View Post
    I guess the Germans don't care about that risk...
    Yes, indeed, we Germans are well known for our lack of concerns regarding human rights issues.

Any explanation why there seem to be no problems US selling 24 used F-16s to Indonesia and UK tried to sell them EFT-2000?