if i think back to before 2008 and try to list the things that have gotten worse for me, they would be:
1. Gasoline FEELs more expensive than in 2008 (not sure if this is correct or not)
2. The dress shirts that i always buy have increased by 50 percent. 40 dollars to 60 dollars.
3. Soda has gotten alot more expensive. I believe the vending machine had it in our office at 1.25. now its at 1.75.
4. My financial portfolio took a dive in 2008-2009. Luckily i sold before it hit rock bottom and recovered quite well.
5. I have to take my shoes off at the airport inspection.
6. My auto insurance keeps going up every single year even though ive been accident free for YEARS (im in northern new jersey btw)
7. With the wars winding down, my job has less money for training/travel.
8. This one i believe is entirely on Obama: Interest rates at my savings account was at 4 percent 4 years ago? now its down to .75 percent. Imagine having that high savings rate today? Though still not as great if you were to make conservative investments like buying the S&P 500 index fund.
9. Air travel FEELS (not sure about this one) more expensive than before. This may be due to all of those mergers and acquisitions by the airlines.
10. The perception that the banks are up to major major shenanigans feels alot stronger than it was before 2007.
Thats all i could list for now. It'd be interesting for others to post how different 2008 was compared to 2012.
For some background.
28. NJ. Engineer. Earning MBA.