Thread: Eagle Industries FILBE

Default Eagle Industries FILBE

Anybody had a chance to pick up the new version of the ILBE as designed by Eagle Industries...looks a little more compact than the full size ILBE and the frame is improved as well.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...mystery-ranch/

They're starting to popup on Ebay as of late, thinking about getting on to replace my ILBE main pack.

Our battalion gunner gave one to a guy in our platoon during the deployment, as well as one of the new daypacks. Said they're both a massive improvement over the ILBE. Still not truly "comfortable" when there's a load in, but he said that both are significantly "less miserable," and they fit pretty well with body armor.

outstanding, thx for the real world input. I thought the ILBE system had great promise but sucked greatly at properly distributing a heavy load. wonder if my ILBE assault pack would attach to the new FILBE main pack like it does now w/ my ILBE main pack?

seems like my assault pack is a bit larger than the new one, would prefer to keep the one I got...

Quote Originally Posted by CPLHUNTER View Post
    outstanding, thx for the real world input. I thought the ILBE system had great promise but sucked greatly at properly distributing a heavy load. wonder if my ILBE assault pack would attach to the new FILBE main pack like it does now w/ my ILBE main pack?

seems like my assault pack is a bit larger than the new one, would prefer to keep the one I got...
    It's really not that much bigger, if at all. Also, the daypack for FILBE (or whatever the Corps is actually calling it) attaches to the lid of the pack rather than the back, so it doesn't end up sticking out like 4 feet behind you.

ILBE is pure garbage in my opinion. The Marine Corps basically bought an off-the-shelf alpine hiking pack from Arcteryx and made token changes to "militarize" it. The surface that goes against your back forms a pretty sharp convex surface when packed full, which makes it damn near impossible to get the pack stable with armor on (especially when combined with the ****ty shoulder straps). The narrow opening to the main compartment makes it difficult to pack with good efficiency, or retrieve items without pulling every single thing on top of it out. The tall design makes it sit too low on short guys like me. The hip belt is too stiff to easily wrap around armor and chafes like crazy. As noted above, the daypack attaches to the back of it, which makes it stick out insanely far when both packs have **** in them. And what the **** is with the absurd number of useless straps on the main pack?

ok i got ya, yeah much better idea attaching to the top than to the back...the crazy amount of straps confused the **** out of me too, thought I was the only one haha.

i would much preferred a more clam shell style design for the ILBE since like you said you have to pull out nearly everything to get to anything and you can only pack it so well, at some point in
    time you will need something on the damn bottom of the pack.

i assume the FILBE is a top loader as well? would be cool if it could be accessed from the front or side as well as the top...

Quote Originally Posted by CPLHUNTER View Post
    ok i got ya, yeah much better idea attaching to the top than to the back...the crazy amount of straps confused the **** out of me too, thought I was the only one haha.

i would much preferred a more clam shell style design for the ILBE since like you said you have to pull out nearly everything to get to anything and you can only pack it so well, at some point in
    time you will need something on the damn bottom of the pack.

i assume the FILBE is a top loader as well? would be cool if it could be accessed from the front or side as well as the top...
    The ILBE has the side zippers to theoretically access things without pulling everything out, but the zippers are so ****ty and didn't really work when the thing is loaded up. The FILBE is a top-loader only I believe, but it does have the modular sustainment pouches to make it easier to stow **** you need to access quickly.

One design I really liked was a Mystery Ranch pack that comes with some new electronics I got a class on at CAX. Three zippers form a Y across the top (forming a lid) and then down the center of the back. So you can either just open the lid for top-loading, or you can split the whole pack open. Made it really easy to get to stuff. On the other hand, I'd be hesitant to take it to the field as zippers have a tendency to break or jam, in which case your pack is stuck split open. At least flaps/buckles can be jerry-rigged with 550 cord if necessary.

Tactical Plumber - Pontificator on all matters DPM - NATO stock numbers a speciality Lerch's Avatar

You mean this one? It's the Mystery Ranch 3-Day Assault Pack (3DAP). I've had mine for over a year now, using it as everything from a radio pack to a patrol pack to a gym bag.

That said, MR does offer larger sized packs with the trizip design, and they're all pretty nice. I've never had a problem with the zippers as the top zips overlap the center one, so there isn't much that's going to open the zippers other than the user.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

The Corps did not select the 3 day pack from MR...I saw it today and it's alright. I would encourage any Marine that gets issued this to invest in a Mystery Ranch NICE frame as it's compatible with it.

I was given one of those 3DAPs. It's really too small to be useful IMO and still not very stiff. Seem like it might be a decent radio pack. Mine didn't have those weird foam bits though that are suppose to keep it snug on your plate carrier. That new Marine pack looks damn interesting. I'm huge into new packs that can utilize the ALICE pack. There was a picture of SEALs doing some modifying of assault packs to ALICE frames. Not sure if anybody saw that.

For those who didn't see it

From here: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...=1#post6338263

I guess am in the minority but I loved the ILBE. It is not without its problems (Yes the hip belt is garbage) but overall I thout it was the best pack I ever carried. I found it versatile, stabile and comfortable. I love the tall and thin design because it keeps weight closer to my body. I could understand why a shorter guy didn't like it but I am onthe tall side of average (5'11"). It held up damned well to whatever I threw at it too.

This thing looks like another uncomfortable marshmallow pack, withthe weight way out behind me but I will reserve judgement until I am under one for some miles which isn't likely to be anytime soon. I will say the wider opening will be more concvenient for living out of.

Hey, maybe the ILBE will start filtering into the ebay market for cheap after this is fielded on a large scale. I would love to own one for camping etc.