Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: More than 2000 Abrams tanks stored in the American desert

Senior Member Breakfast in Vegas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    Personally, all the Abrams hate smells to me of various generals wanting that money for their bs pet projects that go nowhere.
    I wouldnt be surprised if it plays a role.

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Do you claim everybody in Poland earns the minimal wage? 1519 PLN? I was able to earn so "much" before I moved to the UK 5 years ago and I considered my salary pretty low. It was the only reason I've moved to the UK. Presently, I know a lot of uneducated people, who do physical jobs, and they earn 2000-2100 PLN a month without working any extra hours. So it's not a problem to earn about $700 in Poland even if you are not very well-educated. Needless to say, I have a friend, who is a computer programmer in Warsaw, and she earns 20,000 PLN a month. She's überskilled, that's true, but please don't tell me "most people" in Poland earn as little as 1215-1519 PLN. It's a bad joke.
    Indeed, it was a wrong choice of words, I should use many, and unfortunetly I'am definetly not a man that can earn so much money... yet.

I had always hoped that they stored at least some tanks in a nice big dry cave somewhere in PA.
    x2 on the book Damian.

why do they not use a simple cover for the million dollar tanks ? Defence industry and pentagon well know to screw tax payer dollars.

It seems that people do not read what is written... So I need to repeat myself.

Tanks are stored outside, because this storage area is in the desert, deserts are dry, there is not much rain there, so if there is enough paint on vehicles, they were not rust. The same way are stored aircrafts in famous AMARC. Of course personell responsible for maintaining Sierra Army Depot or AMARC or any other storage area, are not idiots, they also know that more delicate equipment like powerpack (engine + transmission) and electronics must be taken out of tanks, and placed inside nearbye storage magazines.

Besides this, did anyone of You complaining guys even calculated how many, how big of these magazines for vehicles You would need to build and how much it would cost? I doubt that.

As for vehicles, if they are needed to be put back in to service or sold to foreing customer, they are first send to Anniston Army Depot, where they are disassembled, cleaned, and prepared for refurbishement (some are refurbished in ANAD if modernization is not required), then tanks and their components are send via train, to Joint Systems Manufacturing Center in Lima, previously known as Lima Army Tank Plant. There tanks are modernized and assembled again, tested and if everything is ok, then they are ready to be fielded in combat units or sent oversees for foreing customers.

As a side note for these who will complain how much it costs, refurbishement and modernization of existing tanks, is cheaper, than manufcutring completely new tanks. The whole RESET program for the M1's, makes them as a new vehicles when they go out from factory, his is so called zero miles - zero hours condition, every component is new, even the vehicle structure is replaced with new elements if needed, composite armor is replaced with newer type, etc.

Now it is clear?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    We gave 300 each to Poland and Turkey and around 400 to Finland, Portugal, Austria etc, the rest should be stored.Between half and a third of the total.AFAIK sofar no Leo 2s were scrapped, only Leo 1s and Marders.
    Germany had max. 2125 afaik now. It is planned that 225 will remain active. Around ~1350 went to other nations...so roughly 550 in storage.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Damian90 View Post
    It seems that people do not read what is written... So I need to repeat myself.

Tanks are stored outside, because this storage area is in the desert, deserts are dry, there is not much rain there, so if there is enough paint on vehicles, they were not rust. The same way are stored aircrafts in famous AMARC. Of course personell responsible for maintaining Sierra Army Depot or AMARC or any other storage area, are not idiots, they also know that more delicate equipment like powerpack (engine + transmission) and electronics must be taken out of tanks, and placed inside nearbye storage magazines.
    Actually that’s not true. Deserts in general may be dry but that doesn’t make them all good storage areas. Store tanks outside in many deserts and they will rust away as quick as on a beach by the seaside no matter how little rain there is.

But the particular ‘boneyard’ sites used by the USA have three important characteristics: low rainfall (ie desert), high altitude (low atmosphere pressure) and very alkaline soil (low salt content). It is the combination of these characteristics that make for excellent low corrosion environments to store equipment.

Also the electronics and engines and the like are left in the vehicles. It’s far too expensive to remove them. Just a lot of sealant is applied to keep nature and water out of the interiors of the stored items.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey View Post
    that make ca 1000+, i guess i can live with that, thanks for the info!
    any idea where they store them?
    ive seen a pic of stored luchs-recon-"tanks" once,
    are there pics?

The BW has central longterm ****nals at Herongen and Pirmasens. Maybe there, or they are just left in the barracks they used to be. Often just under schlepddach or sometimes in garages.

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Gubler View Post
    Actually that’s not true. Deserts in general may be dry but that doesn’t make them all good storage areas. Store tanks outside in many deserts and they will rust away as quick as on a beach by the seaside no matter how little rain there is.

But the particular ‘boneyard’ sites used by the USA have three important characteristics: low rainfall (ie desert), high altitude (low atmosphere pressure) and very alkaline soil (low salt content). It is the combination of these characteristics that make for excellent low corrosion environments to store equipment.

Also the electronics and engines and the like are left in the vehicles. It’s far too expensive to remove them. Just a lot of sealant is applied to keep nature and water out of the interiors of the stored items.
    1) Desert point - I agree.
    2) Removal of electronics and engins - I heard that at least some tanks were stored without their powerpacks, I assumed that also electronics were removed, and stored in the nearby storage buildings or containers. However there is not much known about Sierra Army Depot and other storage areas where armored fighting vehicles are stored, can You provide additional informations, even on PM, it would greatly improve my knowledge about the subject, of couse if this is not against OPSEC rules.

BTW, Google Maps actualized it's photo of Sierra Army Depot to the high quality one, highly recommend to take a look.

Banned user

A briefing on the condition of the M1 Abrams selected for rebuild for the Australian Army LAND 907 project. Tanks are just *****ped of stuff designed to be removed in the field (tools, MGs, stores, etc), sealed up and stored in the open in boneyard, ultra-low corrosion sites. Some may have their engines removed because they would be needed for the active tank engine pool. But removing an engine from a tank is designed to be a simple thing as opposed to taking out all the electrical and hydraulic sub-systems.

That’s some very interesting Google Map imagery. A few M1 Abrams amongst the tank park are painted in a non-standard stone grey colour with darker camo over the top. No doubt some battalion commander wanting to be different but cool to see.

I think that there is visible also at least one in the old MERDC camo. But it is not on the screenshot I made.

[*******#333333]Now it is clear?[/COLOR]
    Pay 5 million for each . But avoid 100 bucks for a simple cover. Go ahead dude.

if they are needed to be put back in to service or sold to foreing customer, they are first send to Anniston Army Depot
    that depot should be under administration of a charity organisation .

People responsible for storing them, knows better than You what they are doing. Armchair generals are so entertaining these days.

For Your information, tanks and other armored fighting vehicles, are stored that way in many countries, and nobody is complaining about this.

that depot should be under administration of a charity organisation .
    What is the point of this nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by mokokko View Post
    Why would they need a cover? Nothing hitting the top of that thing except the sun's rays. It's a desert.

The paint should be good enough to keep that out for a decade or two. Even then it will only cause surface rust. You can buff it off with a wire wheel.

Things age differently there. Metal stuff is pretty much frozen in time.

Suspended for infractions

All those tanks

Alls they need is a driver...