Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: China’s New J-31 Stealth Fighter Takes Off on Maiden Flight

Making Canadians look bad sepheronx's Avatar

Is this that same aircraft that we saw being transported by ground a few months back?

The company doesn't seem to have a high profile, at least nothing that they came up with themselves really. So my take is that the airframe may consist of 5th gen design (angles) and maybe (MAYBE) composite materials (I wouldn't doubt it as China has a large composite manufacturing base). Chances are though, the electronic systems are based off of older aircraft or using open technology that is off the shelf. Now that wouldn't make a bad plane at all, and could be a real threat to Russia, USA or India. Which is why it is kind of daunting that countries like Russia only wants around 200/250 PAK FA's when their own aircrafts in service now are getting too old.

Good on China I say. Even if it isn't so called "True" 5th gen, it could be a real problem down the line.

Banned user

Could the plane be for sale? Imagine if it actually works and does not make pilots suffocate like the F-35?

http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-b...-takes-flight/

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Nope, there is no RAM coating and there won't be for quite some time.
    Curious... Chinese Aerospace industry didn't hear about it yet or what?

Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by travis911 View Post
    Could the plane be for sale? Imagine if it actually works and does not make pilots suffocate like the F-35?

http://thediplomat.com/flashpoints-b...-takes-flight/
    It was the Raptor that had oxygen problems, not F-35. F-35's main problem is cost overruns that resulted in a rather outrageous pricetag.

Not to mention that such problems are not of the "now we should totally write the whole fleet off" type.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenza View Post
    Thats pretty quick but, anyone remember that computer breach at LM 17-18 months ago?
    I think the pieces of a certain F-117 from 1999 and an infamous stealth drone caught in Iran might have just as much to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by memfisa View Post
    Curious... Chinese Aerospace industry didn't hear about it yet or what?
    Prototypes don't get RAM coating until it's time for RCS testing. You probably also think that it flew with a radar.

Quote Originally Posted by twinblade View Post
    I suppose the black paint helps obscure the shape and seams of the panels and hence the level of technology with which the prototypes are being assembled with. Just my two cents.
    I think it's not so much a technical reason (altough a prototype should fly without paint imho, it just makes sense because of several reasons) but one of...we would call it "Inszenierung" over here, would be something like an artificial, dramatized, staged presentation. Shows a lack of seriousness and it being about the plane itself, but about a production of an image of what it ideally should look like, giving the picture of what to be afraid of, what you have to reckon with in the future, i.e. the Chinese stealth fighter, air force, military aviation industry etc. etc.. it worked well with the J-20, and it seems that this one just puts a ˛ up on that image/impression that is being presented, and perceived.

Anyone remember Robert Gates confidently said that no other country will field a 5th gen this decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Uruzu View Post
    Anyone remember Robert Gates confidently said that no other country will field a 5th gen this decade?
    So far he's correct.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    Prototypes don't get RAM coating until it's time for RCS testing. You probably also think that it flew with a radar.

I think it's not so much a technical reason (altough a prototype should fly without paint imho, it just makes sense because of several reasons) but one of...we would call it "Inszenierung" over here, would be something like an artificial, dramatized, staged presentation. Shows a lack of seriousness and it being about the plane itself, but about a production of an image of what it ideally should look like, giving the picture of what to be afraid of, what you have to reckon with in the future, i.e. the Chinese stealth fighter, air force, military aviation industry etc. etc.. it worked well with the J-20, and it seems that this one just puts a ˛ up on that image/impression that is being presented, and perceived.
    I totally concur. This is just ridiculous. Its as if there is no process in working out the various technical decisions made while creating the prototype. China just comes out with über stealth designs that are fully painted and production ready. There is apparently a total lack of understanding of how an aircraft design process works.

Billions of brainwashed Chinese forum phanbois are going to be more than happy though. Clearly another sign of technological superiority and breakthrough by China

Quote Originally Posted by Szarko32c View Post
    So far he's correct.
    Yup. Next decade is going to be a doozy, though.

They should have copied the x-32

Quote Originally Posted by BulletForTheBear View Post
    China just comes out with über stealth designs that are fully painted and production ready. There is apparently a total lack of understanding of how an aircraft design process works.
    Illogical post is illogical.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by subotai View Post
    Illogical post is illogical.
    chicom bot is a chicom bot

Quote Originally Posted by BulletForTheBear View Post
    I totally concur. This is just ridiculous. Its as if there is no process in working out the various technical decisions made while creating the prototype. China just comes out with über stealth designs that are fully painted and production ready. There is apparently a total lack of understanding of how an aircraft design process works.

Billions of brainwashed Chinese forum phanbois are going to be more than happy though. Clearly another sign of technological superiority and breakthrough by China

YF-22 and YF-23 were painted too. Seems to me that some people are just angry because Chinese are building new fighters.