Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kia Motors, Hyundai Rotem to develop Korea's new tactical and armored vehicles

Default Kia Motors, Hyundai Rotem to develop Korea's new tactical and armored vehicles

Kia Motors, Hyundai Rotem to develop Korea's new tactical and armored vehicles

One of the main U.S. fighting vehicles is the Humvee, a highly capable four-wheel drive armored truck developed by AM General. The vehicle transports troops on the battlefield protecting them from bullets. It took over the role on the Jeep, which became famous during the Second World War.

Korean-style vehicle similar to this will be developed for mass production in 2016. Kia Motors Corp. said Monday that it has signed a contract with the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA) to develop and supply a small-sized next-generation tactical vehicle.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...11_124100.html
    Hyundai Rotem close to deal for armored vehicles

Seoul (The Korea Herald/ANN) - Hyundai Rotem, a unit of Hyundai Motor Group, has been chosen as the preferred bidder to develop proprietary amphibious armored vehicles by the Defense Acquisition Program Administration.

DAPA plans to develop up to three test vehicles, complete with Korean-made parts and equipment by 2015, and will be deployed at infantry units for operation beginning in 2016, an DAPA official said. DAPA will finalize its negotiations with Rotem by the end of December.

This is in line with efforts to build Korean indigenous combat vehicles and gradually replace the military's aging Fiat 6614s currently in use at infantry units.

Also, the military needs to boost mobility and precision of such vehicles at key strategic infantry bases to counter threats from North Korea.

http://my.news.yahoo.com/hyundai-rot...035001542.html
    Over 2000 LTVs and hundreds of amphibious APCs will be produced to provide the army with more versatile land transports. Currently the army relies on KM900 and a small number of Barracuda for wheeled armored vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kka5ldPSbhs

The Hyundai Rotem vehicle will most likely be the first user platform for Hyundai Wia's remote weapon systems (pic real heavy, I'm gonna post them all in one go!).

Yes, apparently they can swim.

And a big F-ing gun variant. =)

Last edited by Ambassador; 11-28-2012 at 10:55 AM.

I thought the amphibious armored vehicles project would be canceled because we bought second hand MRAPS from the USA ..... I wonder how these two vehicles can be combined in our army ....

Quote Originally Posted by Excelencia View Post
    I thought the amphibious armored vehicles project would be canceled because we bought second hand MRAPS from the USA ..... I wonder how these two vehicles can be combined in our army ....
    I was going to answer why MRAP would ultimately not be bought by ROKA when the news first came out, but hadn't had the chance to due to lack of time. At the time I cited MRAP's relative lack of amphibious capability compared to what we need as the reason. Purely US-tailored equipments, like Abrams and Bradleys, sometimes have trouble navigating Korea's swampy terrain, and likewise MRAP is not optimized for this type of terrain (I actually collected a hoard of pictures of Korean terrain to illustrate this, and couldn't post them ). Both the K1/K2 tanks and K21 have had conscious design considerations to trade some defense for improved amphibious capability, and it will be the same for these tactical and armored vehicles.

In short the MRAPs will not be bought, most likely. Unless they come at a really bargain to no price.

I'm a little surprised Daewoo isn't in on this with their experience building heavy machinery and tracked vehicles.

The Hyundai 8x8 will be a roll over nightmare, especially with the more eccentric variants. I wonder if they found out how much the Saudis like their 120mm LAVs before building that monstrosity BFG variant.

Why has every Rotem platform a complete different hull, while being a 8x8 system?

Considering the latest kia/hyundai cars and suv in the market are sexy beasts, i'm a little surprised they didn't design their military vehicles with the same concept in mind. lol just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    I'm a little surprised Daewoo isn't in on this with their experience building heavy machinery and tracked vehicles.

The Hyundai 8x8 will be a roll over nightmare, especially with the more eccentric variants. I wonder if they found out how much the Saudis like their 120mm LAVs before building that monstrosity BFG variant.
    Daewoo Group was dismantled in 1999 during the Asian financial crisis. Daewoo Motor is now part of the GM, and the Daweoo Heavy Industry was brought by the Doosan Group.

S. Korea To Produce Wheeled Armored Vehicles
    Dec. 4, 2012 - 11:33AM
    By JUNG SUNG-KI

SEOUL — The South Korean Army will deploy 600 wheeled armored vehicles from 2016 to help build rapid-response forces modeled after U.S. Stryker combat brigades, according to the Defense Acquisition Program Administration (DAPA).

The arms agency announced Hyundai Rotem, a subsidiary of Hyundai Motor Group, as the preferred bidder Nov. 26 to develop and produce those wheeled armored vehicles. The company beat a consortium of Samsung Techwin and Doosan DST.

“Hyundai Rotem will develop a couple of prototype vehicles with six and eight wheels by 2015 with investment of about 28 billion won ($26 million),” a DAPA spokesman said. “After field tests, the company will produce 600 vehicles in stages by 2020.”

The DAPA and Hyundai Rotem will sign a final contract in December for the wheeled armored vehicle development, said the spokesman.

http://www.defensenews.com/article/2...yssey=nav|head
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post

Doosan DST bid and lost to Hyundai Rotem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
    Why has every Rotem platform a complete different hull, while being a 8x8 system?
    They are all prototypes being experimented. Some are much older than the others. the twin 30mm platform was tested in 2006 and the 8x8 mortar carrier, the most recent model, was first shown in 2011. In the next three years Hyundai Rotem will determine which prototype best fits the multipurpose requirement and streamline its design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    They are all prototypes being experimented. Some are much older than the others. the twin 30mm platform was tested in 2006 and the 8x8 mortar carrier, the most recent model, was first shown in 2011. In the next three years Hyundai Rotem will determine which prototype best fits the multipurpose requirement and streamline its design.
    Actually I think a single design is being experimented on and they are updating the design every time they build a new potential variant.

Doosan is torturing these innocent APCs... evil Doosan.

The South Korean ambassador,when it will be operational? It will have an active protection system?

Why do doosan keep developing them it they lost the bid? It isn't like the markets arn't already saturated with wheeled apcs

Quote Originally Posted by Laker1 View Post
    The South Korean ambassador,when it will be operational? It will have an active protection system?
    They will begin operation in 2016. The IFV variants will be equipped with non-reactive explosive armor and DIRCM (land-use variant of Surion's survival package) as primary protection systems.

I don't know exactly how many of them will receive APS. They will be produced in number of thousands. Not every vehicle will receive them; perhaps some for selected units. What I know is that Korea has several APS and C-RAM programs at various level of completion, some projectile and some laser-based, which are being designed for APCs as well as other platforms. The scale of their deployment will depend on North Korea's battlefield anti-tank and artillery capability. Some are operational and most of them will be prepared by 2013-2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniffit View Post
    Why do doosan keep developing them it they lost the bid? It isn't like the markets arn't already saturated with wheeled apcs
    Those vehicles were developed before the bid in a private venture. They were mainly exported to foreign armed forces, and some are used by the police. Black Fox is the basis of Indonesia's Anoa and Tarantula IFVs and Barracuda is used by Iraqi, Malaysian and Indonesian armies (Malaysian designation 'S-5'). The Korean police and army also use a few number of Barracudas.

Last edited by Ambassador; 02-04-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Ah ok, cool I thought that they were some new kind of project. Sorry.

Aside from slat armor for defense against RPG, certain variants of Barracuda appear to be upgraded with IED and mine blast protection. The reinforced panels provide general improvement in survivability against various explosive and ballistic threats greater than 7.62mm AP round.

The use of two countermeasures, smoke grenade and chaff/flare dispenser, can disable more types of anti-tank missiles (optical, IR, laser). S-5 uses both, along with a security camera. More advanced security and remote weapon systems can improve protection further in insurgency areas.