Thread: Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (SABRE)

Default Synergetic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (SABRE)

"The Biggest Breakthrough in Propulsion Since the Jet Engine"

Press Release: Wednesday 28 November 2012:
    Reaction Engines Ltd. can announce today the biggest breakthrough in aerospace propulsion technology since the invention of the jet engine. Critical tests have been successfully completed on the key technology for SABRE, an engine which will enable aircraft to reach the opposite side of the world in under 4 hours, or to fly directly into orbit and return in a single stage, taking off and landing on a runway.

LINKY: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/news_updates.html

Additional linkies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE_(rocket_engine) & http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/

I'm not very geeky, so how does an air breathing rocket engine work when in orbit ?

LINKY: http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/sabre_howworks.html

That is definitely a step forward.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/sabre_howworks.html

Seems straightforward.

Instead of using liquid oxidizer like a normal rocket engine all the time. Use the air when the rocket engine is in the atmosphere instead.

So the answer to your question is that it brings some conventional fuel too.

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/sabre_howworks.html

Seems straightforward.

Instead of using liquid oxidizer like a normal rocket engine all the time. Use the air when the rocket engine is in the atmosphere instead.

So the answer to your question is that it brings some conventional fuel too.

I was being slightly rhetorical, apologies(See the final link). Thankyou to E.T. & L.L. for the explanations though

Hoots mon there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfah View Post
    I'm not very geeky, so how does an air breathing rocket engine work when in orbit ?
    I believe it has a small oxidiser tank in the rear of the fuselage. But much smaller than a conventional rocket.
    Last edited by Lazy Lob; 11-29-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Yoy rhetorical b@stard arfah

The empire. Never trust them.

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    The empire. Never trust them.
    It's good though, innit ?!

British Aerospace had a similar scheme back in the 80's called "HOTOL" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HOTOL

The opportunities are enormous and think of the reduction in costs compared to current programmes. Cheap space travel, shorter intercontinental travel, multiple tasks in a single voyage.

When did the Space Shuttle and Concord get it on ? I hope the manufacturer has a patent ?

I updated the existing thread about SABRE/Skylon with this news yesterday:

Revolutionary space engine system for Skylon tested - Good documentary about REL and their work in that thread too.

Personally I think the whole Skylon/SABRE program is fascinating, and something we as Brits should be intensely proud and supportive of; but I cannot fathom how it would be to work on something as hugely risky and expensive as getting it to a stage where there's a flying example.

Anybody got £250Mn to spare to complete the design work?

Hoots mon there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    I updated the existing thread about SABRE/Skylon with this news yesterday:

Revolutionary space engine system for Skylon tested - Good documentary about REL and their work in that thread too.

Personally I think the whole Skylon/SABRE program is fascinating, and something we as Brits should be intensely proud and supportive of; but I cannot fathom how it would be to work on something as hugely risky and expensive as getting it to a stage where there's a flying example.

The precooler is a fantastic piece of engineering.

I'm proud and supportive (It's a coincidence that I'm also British).

I updated the existing thread about SABRE/Skylon with this news yesterday
    That's torn it ! I didn't search very well, did I?

Dear Mr Moderator, please merge.

The Indian government could ? Unless it clashes with their notions of providing aid to countries with nuclear weapons and aircraft carrier building programmes

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lob View Post
    The precooler is a fantastic piece of engineering.
    Indeed. Even if the SABRE engine never gets off the ground there are many applications for these sorts of high-efficiency heat exchanges; a 1.5K temperature drop in a fraction of a second, and no frosting at temperatures down to below -150 Celsius is not to be sniffed at. They're smart to have kept the latter aspect a trade secret.

That's torn it ! I didn't search very well, did I?
    I wouldn't worry about it; I did consider starting a new thread myself, and no bugger else has posted in the other one since I updated it.

The Indian government could ? Unless it clashes with their notions of providing aid to countries with nuclear weapons and aircraft carrier building programmes
    I dunno. Maybe keeping the two separated could encourage a space race between the UK and India to rival the US/USSR era, and secure ridiculous amounts of government funding (even though REL don't really want it, and we're virtually broke)... or not.

Best of luck to them. Any kind of new, practical space technology is a step in the right direction. Looking forward to seeing if they can actually get a fully functional tech demonstrator rolling.