Thread: PSO-1 Telescopic Sights: Are they any good?

Counting the paces on the path back to Babylon.

Default PSO-1 Telescopic Sights: Are they any good?

A couple years ago we acquired an Soviet made SVD Dragunov from what we believe to have been Polish stocks. Apparently the rifle had been sitting unused in a Polish Army warehouse for a couple of decades, and after Communism fell there, they sold off a lot of their old stocks, yada yada.

So anyways, my father acquired this SVD in 2004. It had probably been fired only a couple of times at the factory, and hadn't been fired after that. It was (and still is) in pristine condition, the only thing was that it's PSO-1 sight was missing, for some reason or another. We've been using it ever since just with the iron sights, which work well enough.
    Anyways, one of my dad's friends has a spare PSO-1 sight that he is looking to sell, for a good price ($100). We've looked at it, and it is in good condition, as far as we can tell. No scratches, dents, or marks on the glass, everything looks to be in order.

My question is, do you think the scope is worth it?
    I understand that SVD's are mated with PSO-1's at the factory, and was wondering if any problems would arise with having a scope and rifle with different serial number's? Also, are they accurate (relatively)? I understand that they cannot be adjusted for wind age or range, hence the elaborate range finding reticle. Any other knowledge on the scope would be appreciated.

Generally, I really like the design of the PSO-1, it's pretty unique in regards to how it's reticle is set up, and I think learning to shoot with it would be fun as well.

Any responses would be appreciated.

100 dolars? Go for it

Go for it. They aren't Zeiss, but for that price you'll not regret it.

Just make sure it's built in Russia, Belarus. Stay away from Chinese copies, as these are usually sub standard...

Banned user

The scope during tests by western experts, sometimes was favored even more than the weapon.

PSO-1 is sh1t compared to quality glass like Swaro or Zeiss, but 100 bucks for it is a steal. It'll last you for a lifetime and it can take a beating. It's not a easy reticle to use but when you get used to it, it can be used for estimating distances quite accurately. Just don't expect too much out of it. For example it's worthless in low light conditions etc.

Its not as good as other much more expensive optics, but its well worth its price.

And you will get it well below its usual price. Just zero it properly.