Thread: Bergen royal marines?

Default Bergen royal marines?

Hello. The wide range of backpacks that paraded through the islands, my favorite is this:

It is called "body rucksack arctic" and is a huge junk. However, its imposing frame, does not match the capacity of the bag. Apparently other experimental or first-element in the conflict. Was attributed to royal marines for visual evidence but, in a documentary, I could see a welsh guard with one of these. So what is the specific body of marines arctic rucksack? Does the conflict continued to use after? I think not. regards

Royal Marines with their backpacks

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

that is the arctic bergan that was issued to the marines for norway etc. yes they used it when they went down south. the reason you see them with it and i stand to be corrected, but at least one CDO unit had just finished its norway deployment when it was deployed down to the S.atlantic and so had its arctic kit.
    the rucksack you show is of "civvy" design as it was more useable when skiing (hence the arctic name). IIRC, that was the design at the time.

The paras had the para/sas began...much the same (external frame etc) but this could be kept on and rounds returned whilst wearing in the P_R_o_ne position (it didnt ride as high).

other units (hats) had the GS bergan (a smaller version of the Para/SAS bergan) or the '58 pattern large pack.
    again though, iirc, not many units actually tbbed/yomped/marched which their bergans all the way.
    tbh, from what i have been told, 3 para did carry theirs very much at all. their webbing kit though weighed in excess of 50-60lb so the bergans were flown forard when they reached their assembly area. (this wasnt often though! ammo take priority...as it should)

Quote Originally Posted by greendzflash View Post
    other units (hats) had the GS bergan (a smaller version of the Para/SAS bergan) or the '58 pattern large pack.
    I seem to remember a number of photos from the conflict showed Scots Guards boarding the QE2 with a load of blue Berghaus Cyclops rucks in addition to the other packs you've mentioned being used in the conflict.

IIRC a rather large number were bought from Berghaus and issued to the task force, and when they ran out of green ones the MoD started taking blue ones as well to fill the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    I seem to remember a number of photos from the conflict showed Scots Guards boarding the QE2 with a load of blue Berghaus Cyclops rucks in addition to the other packs you've mentioned being used in the conflict.

IIRC a rather large number were bought from Berghaus and issued to the task force, and when they ran out of green ones the MoD started taking blue ones as well to fill the order.
    qft.

also im sure that after the longdon attack, the marines on 2 sisters took down their arctic tents as they became what was later known as "aiming marks" for the harriers trying to put airstrikes onto tumbledown.
    tbh, if you havent been down there you wont understand what the terrain looks like...pics only tell a bit of the story

I think the whole purpose of the Arctic, SAS and GS bergans was to instill fighting spirit into the troops by ensuring that they went into action nursing raw "bergan burns" and crippled necks & shoulders. Hard to envisage a more uncomfortable method of load carrying - apart from, of course, the '58 pack....

Berghaus Centurions and Crusader rucksacks in green & DPM were hot sellers at the PRIs...

Quote Originally Posted by Rearlugs View Post
    I think the whole purpose of the Arctic, SAS and GS bergans was to instill fighting spirit into the troops by ensuring that they went into action nursing raw "bergan burns" and crippled necks & shoulders. Hard to envisage a more uncomfortable method of load carrying - apart from, of course, the '58 pack....

Berghaus Centurions and Crusader rucksacks in green & DPM were hot sellers at the PRIs...
    Still use the PARA bergen for tabbing in work no great dramas with bergen burns or sore neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rearlugs View Post

in PRI's who could afford such luxuires...!

the "SAS bergan" which i still have (dated 1985) since 1990 has severed me well on very operational tour i have ever been on.

without doubt, the best bergan i have evr have.

its up for sale BTW.....

Quote Originally Posted by AIRBORNEJOCK View Post
    Still use the PARA bergen for tabbing in work no great dramas with bergen burns or sore neck.

Do you wear a soggy red PT vest at the same time, just to get the full experience?

The SAS bergans were very strong and robust, but they were very badly balanced by comparison with a Berghaus or similar - particularly with some of the monster loads used in parachuting! I don't think anyone in my regiments regretted the replacement with the current issue "crusader clone"; these are much easier to lift and fit when fully bombed-up.

I do have my old SAS bergans and, yes, I occasionally do go for a tab with one just for old times' sake!

I always wanted to use on of those here in Alaska..I won a Para bergen on Ebay but it was lost in the post and never arrived...nice pack..