Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Royal Navy trials new combat uniform

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy

Default Royal Navy trials new combat uniform

From a few weeks back:

Quote Originally Posted by MoD News
    A new combat uniform for the Royal Navy is being trialled by HMS Daring while on counter-piracy operations in the Gulf.

Sailors on board the new Type 45 destroyer are now wearing a specially-designed dark blue kit in place of the Royal Navy's traditional light blue outfit known as the Number 4 dress. The new kit is designed to be much more versatile and adaptable to the different weather conditions that the Royal Navy encounters as it carries out operations around the globe.

Each sailor on board HMS Daring has been issued multiple layers including a t-shirt, shirt, thermal fleece and windproof jacket - all in the new darker colour. The trousers have slanted pockets on the legs so it is easier to use them when sitting down. The whole uniform has been designed to make it easier to get dressed quickly - something that is essential for those on board ships who may have to be woken up in the event of an incident. The boots have zips as well as laces, and the collar can be turned up and fastened instantly with Velcro rather than fiddling with buttons.
    Full Article: MoD News

Pics:

[Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Keith Morgan, Crown Copyright/MOD 2012]

[Picture: Leading Airman (Photographer) Keith Morgan, Crown Copyright/MOD 2012]

universally despised or know as Capt. Buzzkill. GoSka37's Avatar
    Moses Lake, WA and such. I drink your milkshake!

That is a gigantic belt.

Looks pretty sharp other than the big rank square in the center. Then again, it wouldn't be the UK if it didn't look a bit funny to US sensibilities.

Sniper-Proof centrall worn rank insignia on a warship?
    Well at least it isn't camo

universally despised or know as Capt. Buzzkill. GoSka37's Avatar
    Moses Lake, WA and such. I drink your milkshake!

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Sniper-Proof centrall worn rank insignia on a warship?
    It is kind of like a huge "Hey! Here's my center-mass!" sign.

Yes, Muhammed Jihad snipers are a common problem on the high seas.

A Russian getting his education on in Vancouver, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by CMNot View Post
    Yes, Muhammed Jihad snipers are a common problem on the high seas.
    Shhht, or zombie Osama's army might hear you :P

On the other hand on action stations/general quarters, rank and name are usually on the helmet/flak (you can't recognize people anyway with flash mask and helmet) vest anyway so rank insignia on working rig doesn't really matter.
    And on normal duty rank badges are somewhat superflous on a ship as you know who's who anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Mustang View Post
    Looks pretty sharp other than the big rank square in the center. Then again, it wouldn't be the UK if it didn't look a bit funny to US sensibilities.
    Rank slides were (are) worn centrally on CS95 as well, throughout the entire armed forces. There are subdued rank slides as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    Can get it in camo if they want. It's virtually the same cut as the PCS Combat Uniform worn by the rest of the armed forces, just in navy blue:

I did read somewhere that during the development of PECOC/PCS, the RN asked the Defence Clothing team to look at a blue version of DPM for their working uniform (for image/branding purposes), but changed their mind when they saw how horrible it looked.

Besides the colour, the only real difference between PCS WU and PCS CU seems to be name tapes (which the RN have always had a penchant for) and the larger belt loops for a stable belt. I guess they've been 'allowed' to keep the latter as this isn't primarily a 'combat uniform' like the MTP-flavoured one.

Thank god they didn't go for a blue camo. But ballcaps? Too sceptic for my taste, makes em look like bin men. Bin the gash beret too and stick with the Pork Pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    I did read somewhere that during the development of PECOC/PCS, the RN asked the Defence Clothing team to look at a blue version of DPM for their working uniform (for image/branding purposes), but changed their mind when they saw how horrible it looked.
    Take a look at the blue version of the "Greek Lizard" pattern the Greek Air Force has and guess how the "blueish" DPM would've looked like...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    Besides the colour, the only real difference between PCS WU and PCS CU seems to be name tapes (which the RN have always had a penchant for) and the larger belt loops for a stable belt. I guess they've been 'allowed' to keep the latter as this isn't primarily a 'combat uniform' like the MTP-flavoured one.
    Belt loops are the same size. Here's a quick phot to demonstrate:
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/2r6p7wx.jpg[/IMG]

(Royal, before you have an aneuryism at the state of the Corps today, I literally just put my Corps Pattern Belt on my rig for that phot. Gen!)

PCS has far too much velcro for my liking and I can't speak for anyone else, but I hate the layout of the shirt pockets compared to CS95.

Banned user

Unlike the US Navy work uniform, the RN can't hide the paint drippings.

Quote Originally Posted by Greek soldier View Post
    Take a look at the blue version of the "Greek Lizard" pattern the Greek Air Force has and guess how the "blueish" DPM would've looked like...
    Actually there are quite a few countries around the world (particularly in the middle east) that have used blue DPM uniforms for various police/paramilitary units.

Some examples:

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=DPM

Glad it never happened.

-

Redders; tah for correcting me. Thought I'd seen a mention that stable belts couldn't be worn with PCS in amongst all the complaints about it looking 'scruffy' compared to CS95 when worn around camp etc. - guess I was mistaken.