Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Preparedness.

Default Emergency Preparedness.

Purpose is to discuss how to help ourselves (and love ones) prepare for a disaster and to make it through it as comfortable as possible.

[*******#ff0000]WARNING: [/COLOR][*******#000000]This is not tinfoil hat, prepper, survivalist, shoot the zombies, or blue helmet wearer. All laws are to be respected.

While few of us actually have been in a emergency where local services are not there, food is low, etc, it would be wise to do a little planning on what to do and how to minimize any ill effect.

Most emergencies do not last long. Where I live the longest we have been without power is a week.

First thing to do is to take a good look around you. If the power went out for a week, do you have enough water, enough food, heat in winter, etc to do ok.

What I do when power is first cut off, is to flip my main breakers (fuse box) open. When power is restored there is usually a pretty large surge which can damage electrical equipment.

If we loose water, I would turn off the water going into the house. Depending on the cause for the loss of water, it can effect your home water lines. A broken line can introduce contaminants to your water lines. Your hot water heater is a storage tank, 30 - 80 gallons of water.

If it is raining or that time of the year, rain buckets are good to collect water for toilets, etc.

The benefit of living rural is, we naturally stock up on food. It is just not worth going into town for a loaf of bread.

As this thread develops we can discuss and refine our steps to insure our comfort during a emergency. Even things like cards or board games can help to pass the time.

Having a generator can be very beneficial. Wood stove or BBQ for cooking.

So what are your plans?
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by Hollis; 12-20-2012 at 02:51 PM.

To be quite honest I am not prepared for more then approx. 4-5 days without outside support however I would like to add some tips that could be helpful in the short term (7-21 days).

*Canned food such as ravioli, pasta bolognese, soups and so on will not only provide you with at "tasty" meal and provide sustenance but will also provide water and they can be consumed cold.
    *Heat, having a decent sleeping bag is (next to staying dry) a & o if you want to live
    *If you live in a rural area, learn about the local flora and fauna so that you know what you can eat and when
    *If you live in a rural area, get out or bunker up.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

- Stored water and water purification equipment
    - Canned, dry and dehydrated food
    - 5600W generator and stored gasoline
    - Propane stove, oven and heater and stored propane
    - Lots of unscented baby wipes to keep clean
    - Wood stove in the house
    - Rechargeable flashlights and lanterns I can charge off my car's 12V power
    - Camping equipment; tents, sleeping bags, etc.

I got a Camp Chef portable propane stove/oven at Costco, and it works great. They had them for $140, but unfortunately no longer carry them and they are far more expensive elsewhere. I could cook two family-sized five pound lasagnas while simultaneously cooking on the two large burners on top of the stove. It is designed for one pound propane bottles, but works fine with five gallon tanks using an adapter hose. It is a great piece of emergency equipment you can use either at home or out on the road.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Camp...ords=camp+chef

Since I have satellite TV, if the power goes out I can run the TV and satellite receiver off of the generator, which is a big plus so far as news and entertainment when you are stuck at home. If the cellular net is up, I can get internet and call out as well. If things get really bad, I have a portable shortwave radio.

I think one way to prepare yourself or family is to actually go through the exercise of living without the necessities that you might miss the most.

Try to see how quickly moral drops due to the lack of certain items like chocolate. (During 6 week lent we miss chocolate the most).

Need to test for the psychological obstacles.

I only keep a week or so of Emergency Food and Water. For disasters like floods, blackouts etc... Not prepping for doomsday. I sometimes also, pick up a few B&M Brown Bread in cans. And some canned beans too. It's a bit dry(the bread) but, always tickled my fancy, bread in a can.

I doubt the world will end in the next 100 years. It will suck more but, not end.

I have been looking at plans for a collapsible solar oven since we have tons of sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by themacedonian View Post
    I think one way to prepare yourself or family is to actually go through the exercise of living without the necessities that you might miss the most.

Try to see how quickly moral drops due to the lack of certain items like chocolate. (During 6 week lent we miss chocolate the most).

Actually you bring up a good point. While the necessities are there, what about those items that pertain to you personally. Chocolate? Medications? Beer? Something special to brighten up a other wise dark day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    Actually you bring up a good point. While the necessities are there, what about those items that pertain to you personally. Chocolate? Medications? Beer? Something special to brighten up a other wise dark day.
    +1 Great Idea. Chocolate is a must for me too LOL.

Certain medications are given out by chemist only 1 at a time so no bulk buy.
    Beer is a must since it comes down nerves, low alcohol, vitamin source.
    Diabetics are common of both types. So honey is a must.
    Allergies are common so adrenalin is good to have.
    Bag of flour, bag of rice, lots of instant noodles.

Kids are a problem so plenty Nutella is a must.

I think it is called camping.....I do that in the summer. It is interesting what you can do without.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by custodes View Post
    I only keep a week or so of Emergency Food and Water. For disasters like floods, blackouts etc... Not prepping for doomsday. I sometimes also, pick up a few B&M Brown Bread in cans. And some canned beans too. It's a bit dry(the bread) but, always tickled my fancy, bread in a can.

I doubt the world will end in the next 100 years. It will suck more but, not end.
    I live in an earthquake and volcano zone, so I am ready for a month without normal services or government assistance. I could go a lot longer, if necessary.

One thing most people do not realize is stored water is critical. In a severe earthquake, wells become useless as the shaking fills them with mud. With major volcanic eruptions, the ash will contaminate all surface water in the area, including streams, rivers, lakes and ponds. The earthquakes that always accompany such eruptions will also mud up your well. In an area like mine, just having purification equipment and/or a well is not enough.

Jack Daniels can get me through pretty much any disaster situation.

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

little known fact... when antibiotics arent available or are in short supply, often the antibotics available at pet supply stores for fish can be substituted....

Quote Originally Posted by HK in AK View Post
    I think it is called camping.....I do that in the summer. It is interesting what you can do without.
    Yes. That is right. I know what I can do without but I have seen my wife going psycho over lack of cheese at one given moment.

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

Diabetics are common of both types. So honey is a must.

honey is great.... it also has some interesting antibacterial qualities, and it keeps well