Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Preparedness.

Mobile - Bug out bag with enough gear and food to be well of for at least a month.

In place - A year's food, water storage and heat and electricity. I am working on building a steam-powered engine that can burn wood or coal, with a drive-shaft that will turn a generator. I'll have an endless supply of electricity - have a huge coal reserve nearby. The generator will produce 20 KW of electricity.

Land of the Left and Rinos. Moonbeams Mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Coattail Rider View Post
    little known fact... when antibiotics arent available or are in short supply, often the antibotics available at pet supply stores for fish can be substituted....
    Yup, and cheaper too. I have used aquarium amoxicillin in the past with great results. A RN friend got me hip to it after i lost my job and medical.

"It's a Toyota D*ckhead" Beowulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Henry's Fork View Post
    Yup, and cheaper too. I have used aquarium amoxicillin in the past with great results. A RN friend got me hip to it after i lost my job and medical.
    damn - that's gangster

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    It has balconies and glass windows that i could breakdow, though it eould be hard to recover the rope. I am thinking of the worst case where some areas have collapsed and just using the rope tobget from one floor to the other and in stages.
    I am by NO means an expert on climbing/rope work, but I've done a wee bit.

There are simple methods for rope recovery when descending, such as running your rope double(meaning max descent is half the total length of rope). But you'll need a bunch of spare 'beaners/anchors that get left behind and can't be recovered.

What about communications ? phones, internet are shure to go down as soon as an earthquake hits(the area where i live had a 7.2 magnitude almost 40 years ago and another is "scheduled" soon) do you guys have CB radios or something simmilar ?

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droopy View Post
    What about communications ? phones, internet are shure to go down as soon as an earthquake hits(the are where i live had a 7.2 magnitude almost 40 years ago) do you guys have CB radios or something simmilar ?
    http://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-.../dp/B007H4VT7A

Got mine when it was $35 over the summer.

What about communications ? phones, internet are shure to go down as soon as an earthquake hits(the area where i live had a 7.2 magnitude almost 40 years ago and another is "scheduled" soon) do you guys have CB radios or something simmilar ?
    CB or Ham radio.

Ok, also i think an MP3 player (with a USB connection so it can be charged easy) loaded with your favorite music can be a morale booster, also some papers like a house deed or birth certificate might come in hand in the aftermath.

Here we were faced with so many emergencies (without power even today),so we always keep large quantities of canned food,flour,basic medications,honey(my brother in-law has bees),tools....even opened a well equipped with a water pump and purifier.
    I have a power inverter connected with 2 100 Amp.batteries which can last over 8 hrs connected to TV,Internet modem and laptop and few lights,a 10Kw genset,a 1000 litre fuel tank(diesel).
    A wooden stowe,lots of woods(no central heating,power supply unstable),every year I buy almost 6 cubic metres of wood,2 8L propane tanks.

And lots of guns and ammo.

As for comms.in our country everything has a backup energy source,all institutions have generators,which can run for weeks...as it happens I`m a generator mechanic and I work for a cell phone company,so every BTS(Base Transciever Stations) have a backup energy source(generators),that can run for a month non-stop....so no loss of comms here...unless something happens to me!
    Last edited by Mate; 12-22-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: adding more things

Nobodys mentioned a can opener yet...

That comes with every multi tool...everyone has one!...i guess....if not you can always use a knife instead.

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

P51's are uber cheap. Keep one on a dog tag chain. I have like a half dozen in various bags.

Everybody spoke about canned food and that's the basis

Here are some other usefull things

*Decontamination pills for water
    *Basic fist aid box (painkillers, iodine disinfectant, dressing, large specter antibiotics etc etc .....)
    *some high energy pills (i use when i hike Coramin-Glucose tablets, a mix of Coramin-Cafein and Glucose 350 kCal a single tablet that gives a big energy boost)
    * lighter/matches
    *swissknife
    *flashlight

All those things have also their use in house or outdoor activities (like hiking) so it is not lost spending

Ah and if you have to get stuck for several hours in your basement because of a storm/hurricane/flood/whatever morale is a high priority so a little entertainment is a big plus (some books, even books about survival, a game of anykind but that doesn't need electricity etc etc)
    A bored person is a depressed person
    A depressed person will make mistakes and put its own (and others) survival at risk
    I really think that some kind of thing that keep your mind focused (while you are waiting for help or relieve or the end of the disaster) can be a kind of life saver

I've got a pair of wideband scanners...one handheld, one portable.....the most disturbing thing of all(more so than dead bodies) was the 3-4am movement away from the beach and into town after the 1st big quake with AM/FM broadcast dead across the spectrum and NZ Police completely off the air for nearly 30 minutes.....that was spooky.

Inexpensive PRS radios are useful(but think about sustainably recharging them).

I've got a pretty nifty and portable ex .MIL transceiver set to fiddle with that can be handcranked for juice or hooked up to my ute's battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mate View Post
    Here we were faced with so many emergencies (without power even today),so we always keep large quantities of canned food,flour,basic medications,honey(my brother in-law has bees),tools....even opened a well equipped with a water pump and purifier.
    I have a power inverter connected with 2 100 Amp.batteries which can last over 8 hrs connected to TV,Internet modem and laptop and few lights,a 10Kw genset,a 1000 litre fuel tank(diesel).
    A wooden stowe,lots of woods(no central heating,power supply unstable),every year I buy almost 6 cubic metres of wood,2 8L propane tanks.

And lots of guns and ammo.

As for comms.in our country everything has a backup energy source,all institutions have generators,which can run for weeks...as it happens I`m a generator mechanic and I work for a cell phone company,so every BTS(Base Transciever Stations) have a backup energy source(generators),that can run for a month non-stop....so no loss of comms here...unless something happens to me!
    1 month organic power is a LOT........with the events we had we lost mobile communication base stations far faster than that.......some lasted only a few hours on battery backup combined with a spike in traffic.