Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The USMC's Stinger .30-06 machine gun

Default The USMC's Stinger .30-06 machine gun

And i thought the MG42/3 was a badass?, This ones ROF was around 1,200/1,400 RPM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And no, Im not going to photoshop it!)

Banned user
    Im not a wannabe. I have shot an AK-47, M4, M16, 50.cal machine gun, 50.cal barreta sniper, colt 191

thank god youre not going to shop it...

I was going to say it's gutted up from a .30 cal and found this:

The Marine who created that was Tony Stein with the 28th Marines on Iwo .Tony was a toolmaker from Dayton Ohio and he cannibalized a .30 cal machine gun from a fighter plane he was later killed on Iwo and received the MOA .

September 30, 1921 - March 1, 1945

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, First Battalion, Twenty-Eighth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Island, 19 February 1945. The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Corporal Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position and, when his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machine-gun and mortar barrage, gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns. Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes one by one and succeeded in killing twenty of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault. Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition. Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements on ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of eight trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time. Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification. Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position. Stouthearted and indomitable, Corporal Stein, by his aggressive initiative, sound judgment and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustained and enhanced the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
    But you really can't have that high rate of fire in a machine gun that does not allow to quickly swap the barrels - short bursts are a must!

Thanks for that interesting post, StukaJr. It's sad that this important story was omitted by Jabroni in his rush to start yet another thread.

Very interesting! a true hero right there

I read about Tony Stein and his "Stinger gun" during the battle for Iwo Jima. Unfortunately, Cpl. Stein was killed in the fighting.
    Rest in Peace.

Looks like a 1919 conversion, If it is, it's rate of fire is over rated. Browning were not that fast. Instead of pushing the round from the belt into the chamber like the M60/MG42/etc, it would grab the round, pull it back, round would drop down and then the bolt would push it into the chamber. The MG 42 design was much faster.

Honest, I'm not really a Pommie Git! Hydro's Avatar

I believe it was a conversion of a .30 AN-M2 from a fighter, which did have a very high rate of fire.

IT was a converted AN-M2. I believe they orginally got them out of crashed Dauntless dive bombers (they were the twin tail guns).

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
    Looks like a 1919 conversion, If it is, it's rate of fire is over rated. Browning were not that fast. Instead of pushing the round from the belt into the chamber like the M60/MG42/etc, it would grab the round, pull it back, round would drop down and then the bolt would push it into the chamber. The MG 42 design was much faster.
    In 1995 I had the honor of meeting Mitchell Paige, and he described modifications that they made to their water cooled M1917s, milling away parts of the bolt or something, changing springs, etc. that got their rate of fire up to about 1200 rpm.

Men at war tend to be an ingenious lot. I've heard an example of an M113 crew in Vietnam "modifying" their M60 to exceed 1,000 rounds per minute.

AKA Airbornebrotherhood; British_airborne; Lewis_2_para_

And one of the men in Band of Brothers converting his M1 Garand to fire full auto.

Quote Originally Posted by super_noodle View Post
    And one of the men in Band of Brothers converting his M1 Garand to fire full auto.
    I think it was Forrest Guth.

I met him. Very nice chap.

hmm i wonder how u get an M1 to go full auto? man that would have some kick to it