Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemaking an AR15 and Hi cap mags. Ideas welcome.

Default Homemaking an AR15 and Hi cap mags. Ideas welcome.

I started a thread, about making USGI mags at home. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/140...own_Mags_.html

I played with the Idea of using a CNC machine to make a rollsroyce of an ATF follower out of solid aluminum. I guessed that would be sweet like the old Vietnam 20 rounders with an Aluminum follower.

Making a 20 round straight wall mag would be easier than making a 30 round curved one.

But what about a 25 or 30 round straight wall magazine? I know curvature is needed for reliable feeding. But what if you create a more aggressive slant on the bottom of a straight wall magazine to accommodate the changing geometry of 30 bundled rounds in a straight wall mag?

The idea is to make a simple, inexpensive, easy to make AR15 and magazine. It can be ugly as sin. as long as it is reliable and works. who cares?

I want everyone on ARFCOM to pitch in. If you work with CNC, work in the art of sheet metal. are in the trade post you're experiences suggestions etc. Seeing how AR15's and mags are unavailable. lets be creative to fill the void.

So far i've drawn these up.

You are obviously not an Engineer?

Quote Originally Posted by MeiJoa View Post
    You are obviously not an Engineer?
    want to contribute suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
    I saw that , i loled so hard at the awesomness.

trying to accommodate the design for stamped sheets, the buffer tube will be attached to the upper half since being attacahed to the lower would cause stress on a small amount of material. so the logical solution would be to move it othte upper for solidarity.

the lower housing would only accommodation trigger housing and the magazine.

Think about the magazine follower in your straight edgy magazine. How will this part change its pressing angle depending on your mag being full or almost empty?

It took a team of professional engineers at Colt's years to design a reliable 30 round magazine.

If you are thinking of using sheet metal, look at the AR18 or AR 180.

You can build the AR with a sheet metal lower and use a tube upper.

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
    trying to accommodate the design for stamped sheets, the buffer tube will be attached to the upper half since being attacahed to the lower would cause stress on a small amount of material. so the logical solution would be to move it othte upper for solidarity.

the lower housing would only accommodation trigger housing and the magazine.
    How will you disassemble it?

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    If you are thinking of using sheet metal, look at the AR18 or AR 180.

^^ The beauty of the AR-18's upper is that the bolt carrier rides on two pieces of round stock (78a) and doesn't touch the inside of the receiver, no precision machining needed.

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

I'm curious as to if anyone is looking into the idea of using a 3D printer to manufacture AR mags. I remember a while back the buzz about wiki weapons, and the idea of printing pistol receiver. I'm not sure of the quality of material available for such a printer, but it would be interesting to see if it's a viable concept.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFlag View Post
    I'm curious as to if anyone is looking into the idea of using a 3D printer to manufacture AR mags. I remember a while back the buzz about wiki weapons, and the idea of printing pistol receiver. I'm not sure of the quality of material available for such a printer, but it would be interesting to see if it's a viable concept.
    It was a 5 round mag. It failed horribly.

wouldent feed the first round.

They used a
    plastic spring too..

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It took a team of professional engineers at Colt's years to design a reliable 30 round magazine.
    I understand where you're coming from. But im still determined, evne if it is a difficult one.

The FAMAS has a 25 round straight magazine, with a larger taper on the bottom that a colt 20rd.

I really want to see is a 25 rd straight mag and 30 will be feasable with a more aggressive taper.

Going for the straight mag since it would be infinitely easier to manufacture in a shed than a curved mag needing a press.

I recall something about 25 rounders straight walls being used in Vietnam, and the french still use the 25 rounders.