Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemaking an AR15 and Hi cap mags. Ideas welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by MeiJoa View Post
    Think about the magazine follower in your straight edgy magazine. How will this part change its pressing angle depending on your mag being full or almost empty?
    I would figure that a larger accomdated tolerance in an anti tilt follower be given. give it some play to tilt to allow the increased gemotry by a stack of 20+ rounds of 5.56

Quote Originally Posted by Roebuck View Post
    It was a 5 round mag. It failed horribly.

wouldent feed the first round.

They used a
    plastic spring too..

Someone made a lower out of ABS printing. but the lower cracked by the buffer tube area after 6 rounds.

Its a week spot. Something either needs to reinforce it. either by metal, or a different design as seen on billet lowers.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    How will you disassemble it?
    Im thinking Bolts holding a reinforced tube with threads on it for the buffer tube.

Quote Originally Posted by shuredgefan View Post
    ^^ The beauty of the AR-18's upper is that the bolt carrier rides on two pieces of round stock (78a) and doesn't touch the inside of the receiver, no precision machining needed.

Attachment 192532
    thats what i'm trying to accomplish, but using AR15 components.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    If you are thinking of using sheet metal, look at the AR18 or AR 180.
    I would, but the problem being, parts for the AR18 are rare. compared to AR15 parts.

They are abundant. While making an AR18 in a shed would be a tried and proven design. parts are an issue.

I would, but the problem being, parts for the AR18 are rare. compared to AR15 parts.

They are abundant. While making an AR18 in a shed would be a tried and proven design. parts are an issue.
    Not to completely derail the thread, but why not go for making guns based on stamped designs first.

I have been doing some reading and it seems AK's can be assembled more easily. Many AK parts are pretty basic, some stampings, and a few milled pieces The receiver is essentially a 1mm-1.5mm piece of sheet metal with appropriate holes that are then pressed on a die and heat treated. Some guy as shown earlier built his receiver from pieces welded together forgoing bending a piece of sheet steel.

The AR is a good platform, but most likely it is a good platform because of the professionalism of its manufacture. If you want a gun good made easy something like the Sten is notorious for being made in basements. As the old engineering saying goes, KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.

Mar Lamah

Quote Originally Posted by LowLamah View Post
    Not to completely derail the thread, but why not go for making guns based on stamped designs first.

I have been doing some reading and it seems AK's can be assembled more easily. Many AK parts are pretty basic, some stampings, and a few milled pieces The receiver is essentially a 1mm-1.5mm piece of sheet metal with appropriate holes that are then pressed on a die and heat treated. Some guy as shown earlier built his receiver from pieces welded together forgoing bending a piece of sheet steel.

The AR is a good platform, but most likely it is a good platform because of the professionalism of its manufacture. If you want a gun good made easy something like the Sten is notorious for being made in basements. As the old engineering saying goes, KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.

Mar Lamah
    Yep, STENs are easy. Parts kits were abundant as well, last I checked. The only thing that's really keeping me from building one is that I can't bring myself to put that stupid-looking 16" barrel on it.

On the AR. you can also get a casting then do all you machining/drilling to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedsABetterName View Post
    Yep, STENs are easy. Parts kits were abundant as well, last I checked. The only thing that's really keeping me from building one is that I can't bring myself to put that stupid-looking 16" barrel on it.
    Id imagine if you had access to the machinery, an Owen gun would be simple enough to make...or a ppsh 43

Hocus Pocus Diplodocus the Psychic Dinosaur

What about making a curved plastic magazine out of 'sheet plastic', making the required internal shaping, then plastic-welding it all together? Could that work for diy purposes? (I know bugger-all about guns, but I have some good ideas sometimes)

I would figure that a larger accomdated tolerance in an anti tilt follower be given. give it some play to tilt to allow the increased gemotry by a stack of 20+ rounds of 5.56
    I dont know what your background is, but I am an engineer and I know this is much more difficult than you may think...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    On the AR. you can also get a casting then do all you machining/drilling to make it work.
    how's this compare in time vs benting and cutting sheetmetal?

Any reason they stopped the production of the AR-18? Sorry it is a bit off topic.

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    Any reason they stopped the production of the AR-18? Sorry it is a bit off topic.
    I think it was a combination Colt's aggressive and successful marketing of their AR-15/M-16, which they'd purchased from Armalite in 1959 and early production quality control problems that effected reliability.

In 2001, the re-formed Armalite Co introduced the AR-180b, an updated version with an AR compatible mag well and a steel reinforced polymer lower receiver for around $600. It was accurate and lightweight at 6.0 lbs (2.7kg) and was generally well reviewed. And I kick myself for not getting one.

From an earlier thread:
    [*******#000000][FONT=verdana]Unfortunately, Armalite ceased production of the AR-180b a few years ago because high demand for AR-15 type rifles.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=verdana]I got the following response to a query about Armalite restarting AR-180b production with maybe a folding stock this time:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=verdana]The 180B isn’t dead, we’re waiting to see what happens with another possible ban as we’re looking to make some upgrades to it and don’t want to invest the time, R & D and money to do this now when a ban might stop it’s production.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=verdana]Tim Rooker[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=verdana]Tech - Internet Support / Sales[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=verdana]ArmaLite Inc.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...R-180-or-AR-15

I have no idea what the time differential would be in building a cast or stamped receiver. Generally stamped is faster and cheaper than case.

I looked into buying a less than 80% cast AR15 lower, but the tooling, taps etc would cost a fortune, especially in building just a few. If you want to go sheet metal, I would build a AK over a AR.
    Last edited by Hollis; 12-26-2012 at 08:22 PM.