Thread: Sa80 Bayonet

Default Sa80 Bayonet

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but
    can the sa80 with grenade launcher attached, be fitted with a bayonet, I have often read that it cannot but the Photo on the British army website page for 'personal equipment' seems to suggest it canany ideas ?

Daniel

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

tbh, i think you answered your own Q.

i will confirm in about 2 weeks though.

can help you out if you want to try yourself though.

also, being as the foreguard is only plastic (and redicually over priced) im sure it could be "trimmed to fit"

(although, if i have a UGL and i need to use a bayonet, somethingsgone drastically wrong!!)

anyone who says "all assault rifles need a UGL" should actually fight in a SA and CQB battle before making judgment and if they have already, they need to re-evealuate their own skills. support wpns are there for a reason...to support.

I think seem to remember hearing one of the 'improvements' featured on the current L123A3 over the L123A1/A2 was that the plastic hand-guard was modified to accommodate a BFA or bayonet, which wouldn't fit around the rifle's muzzle when the original UGL module was installed.

looking, thinking: lifes too short to dance with fat chicks

lets be honest.

if anyone with a UGL needs a boyonet, things have gone seriously wrong.

thats the whole point to teach soldiers the correct use of the weapon.

if they still end up in that position im sure their opo will sort it out.

Quote Originally Posted by greendzflash View Post
    lets be honest.

if anyone with a UGL needs a boyonet, things have gone seriously wrong.

thats the whole point to teach soldiers the correct use of the weapon.

if they still end up in that position im sure their opo will sort it out.
    Not really. Operational experience in Afghan has shown that firefights can develop at point-blank range with no warning. Actual use of bayonets on several occasions prompted UK MoD to urgently seek ways of increasing the number of bayonet-capable rifles in a section from just two (i.e. the only two standard rifles) to include those with UGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Rearlugs View Post
    Not really. Operational experience in Afghan has shown that firefights can develop at point-blank range with no warning. Actual use of bayonets on several occasions prompted UK MoD to urgently seek ways of increasing the number of bayonet-capable rifles in a section from just two (i.e. the only two standard rifles) to include those with UGL.
    When on ops, I was blessed to be one of the two that had the ability to fix bayonets.

I was able to mount an OKC-3S bayonet on my M16A4 with M203. It's a little tricky and takes some finagling vs. a regular M16 however, and it prevents you from being able to safely fire the 203. And in a near ambush as a team leader/grenadier, I'm more focused on getting a couple HEDP rounds in to the enemy as quick as possible. Kind of moot anyway, as we weren't issued bayonets when I deployed with the 203. I carried a fixed-blade KA-BAR instead.

bit unfair towards GF seeing what he does for a living :P

The MoD put a tender out for a new, lighter bayonet last year that explicitly stated that it must fit all SA80 variants including those fitted with the L123A3 UGL (also the L86A2 LSW and L22A2 carbine) and for some reason they want it to fit the LMG as well:

[*******black]The key user requirements are as follows:
    [/COLOR][*******black]1. The user requires a lightweight bayonet that shall be fitted to:
    [/COLOR][*******black]Threshold: L85A2 (SA80 IW) fitted with and without the L123A3 (UGL). L86A2 (SA80 LSW). L110 (LMG). L22A2 (SA80 Carbine). All weapons must be capable of completing a full BFM with the bayonet fitted.
    [/COLOR][*******black]Objective: L129A1 (sharpshooter)[/COLOR]
    http://england.unitedkingdom-tenders...t_2011_Bristol

So I assume if the current one still doesn't fit the UGL, whatever follows will. Of all the weapons listed the L85/L123 combo seems the easiest requirement to fulfil.

In a pinch there's also that daft looking rail-mounted adapter they made to fit the current bayonet on the L129A1, which I imagine also fits the LLM rails on some of the other weapons. It's basically a long metal rod to clip on the rails parallel to the barrel, that the bayonet slip on the end of like it would do an L85's barrel - I imagine it's *****e though as I've only ever seen one pic of it fitted on a sharpshooter rifle in theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratamacue View Post
    I was able to mount an OKC-3S bayonet on my M16A4 with M203. It's a little tricky and takes some finagling vs. a regular M16 however, and it prevents you from being able to safely fire the 203. And in a near ambush as a team leader/grenadier, I'm more focused on getting a couple HEDP rounds in to the enemy as quick as possible. Kind of moot anyway, as we weren't issued bayonets when I deployed with the 203. I carried a fixed-blade KA-BAR instead.

In an old US field manual there was a photo of an M16A1/M203 with an offset baynote mount(90 degrees) so that the 40mm could be fired with the bayonete on. Guess it din't got off the test fase

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted kayaker's Avatar
    At the wall table of a greasy spoon cafeteria with a battered,red Mini outside..with Mary on my mind

any chance of piccy/scan Flanker?

Nope, sorry. It was a long time ago. I don't even remember where I saw it

I have actually seen a picture of the SA80 with a UGL and with a Bayonet it is from 2 Para in 2008 the person in the picture was killed shortly after though.

zomgdeltaairsofter101 Sheikh Al Stranghi's Avatar

Maybe a modern type of napoleonic socket bayonet would be the solution for 40mm gunners.

A common bayonet for all weapons in a rifle section? Wow, no idea what kind of attachment it would use, but it'd be strange to say the least!