Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ACU, modified

Default ACU, modified

"I actually modified my ACU's in Afghanistan buy dropping a bottle of Ritz Tan Color Dye in the wash. It made the Blue's in the ACU turn an Olive shade and the Grey into Tan. It blended very well in the environment. The Battalion XO threatened to give me an Article 15 claiming that I destroyed Government property. They rest of the guys in the unit were pissed because they thought that what I did was innovative and suggested that I pushed my modifications to Washington. I succumbed to pressure from the immediate chain of command and just put my modified ACU's at the bottom of my tuffbox."

Another:

"I took a bottle of Tan Rit dye, and a splash of Dark Brown. I ran it in the washing machine with warm water and let it agitate for a few minutes. After that I stopped it and let it sit for a while - maybe 30 minutes or so - before starting it again. While it was sitting I poured in a large pot of stove heated water (not quite boiling) with a cup of salt as per the instructions. After all that I let it run a second time without soap to wash out any residual dye."

i like the un tampered one's better..

It looks darker, which i'm betting helps because ACU's are quite bright lol.

I dont get why the US Army is getting so rigid, in the past soldiers were more or less encouraged to adapt to the environment they were fighting in. The army has developed a warped sense of what constitutes professionalism. Some of the most professional armies in the past didn't even have uniforms...

Because they no longer trust the soldiers.

Nevermind....

Senior Member I can't think of a name's Avatar

It gives the ACU that Dirty look that makes it blend in well after being used awhile

I wonder what the dye did to how the ACU appears in NVGs?

Personally, I think they look pretty good.

Hanging out of your mam's backdoors ya slaaaagggs!

Looks good to me (not that I wear ACUs anyway), looks better in fact, however as Alpheus said NIR/IRR matters too.

Odd how he was going to be charged with destroying Govt property, I thought US troops bought their own cammies?

I like it wes. Nice mod.

Is that you in the pic, Wes? You don't look 43.

Not a bad idea... looks pretty good... practical and aesthetically. Looks like it would work in the mountainous NE and the desert/arid Southern region.

I used good ol' Kaaantucky mud and they had the same/similar results. Plus, after 1-2 patrol in NE Afghanistan and OP improvement in the summer (so sweat, salt, and Afghan sand/dust/grit) caused (the same set) to blend very well into the terrain of NE Afghanistan.
    So... it naturally developed the camo I needed. It also helped that I was not able to wash my uniform while out there.

If I washed them (real wash not just swished around in a bucket of Afghan river water) it would probably loose some of it's natural camo but still be faded cause of the age and use.

I got kinda angry when my CO told me to take off my worn in pair and put on a clean/new (bright) pair because it was not 'proffessional' So I did.. then when I went out I switched back... until there was a time that I couldn't due to a "oh crap" situation and had to run out the wire and the bright pair also became naturally camoed.

Did you go around telling everyone of your new idea including your XO if/when asked? That's probably why. He had no choice but to do what he did. If it was kept quiet or told a different story... then no one is the wiser.
    Or can't you just use it on patrol/missions then switch back to an unaltered set when in the presence of high ranks or the hated combat garrisson-like environment.

I think I might try what you did with Ritz Tan when i get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Britboy View Post
    Looks good to me (not that I wear ACUs anyway), looks better in fact, however as Alpheus said NIR/IRR matters too.

Odd how he was going to be charged with destroying Govt property, I thought US troops bought their own cammies?
    He could also probably argue that he was in fact trying to protect government property (himself, as soldiers can be, and have been, charged with damage to government property when they harm themselves intentionally) by attempting to better blend in with the enivironment. It wouldn't fly of course.

Hanging out of your mam's backdoors ya slaaaagggs!

Troops charged with damaging Govt property when harming themselves? No way!

I've heard rumours of blokes being charged with self-inflicted injuries for sunburn and the like, but Govt property? I'm no property, I am a free man