Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WWII - Old stuff from my grandfather

Default WWII - Old stuff from my grandfather

Hi everyone,

I actualy wanted to post this in the thread made for posts like this, but with the pictures and everything i thought i was better of making this thread.

My now dead (2002?) grandfather fought in the second world war on the german side. He never talked much about the war, and back when i had the chance i didnt really know much to ask about, something i regret to this day. I do remember a couple of things though which i have digged up both from old documents he left us (the family) and from what he told us.

My Grandfather joined the German Wehrmacht in early 1942 as an infrantryman. After his training he joined the 29th infantry division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/29th_In...on_(Wehrmacht)) in the 15th grenadier regiment. He was sent to the unit which was already in Russia, in late 1942 where he fought in Stalingrad(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Stalingrad). I dont know much of what happened down there, i know he was wounded, i know he was sent back from the front on one of the last planes before Paulus surrendered (which saved him from a soviet work camp, and probably death). I cannot imagine how it must have been like, apparently their unit had quite a few casualties, especialy from the conditions. I remember talking with my grandfather once, he said he didnt take of his boots for 3-4 months. The ones that did take theirs off (to dry socks and whatnot) often died. Because once your boots were off you couldnt take them back on because of the cold. When he returned home from stalingrad he weighed some 42-45 kilogram. My grandmother always says that he never really left stalingrad.

After a break off the front the division was reestablished, from soldiers that made it out (wounded, reserve, vecation) and another unit. The new 29th Panzer-grenadier division (mot) (http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/...en/29PGD-R.htm) fought in Italy for the rest of the war. My grandfather was wounded twice until he was taken of the front once again, probably beause of one of his two new injuries (3 total, one bullet in his hand, one to his leg, and one unknown to me)

Anyway, I've taken quite a few pictures of old documents and medals/badges.(I've been told that its best to put watermarks on the pictures which is sad i think. I hope you can still enjoy the pictures.)

Heres a picture of the first pages of his soldbuch (a soldiers personal book, with all needed info).

Heres a picture of a box containing the medals and in a room on the back all documents that he saved. The medals are, from the top: Nahkampfspange III. stufe (close combat clasp III), Eisernes kreuz 2 (iron cross 2), eisernes kreuz 1 (iron cross 1), Verwundeteabzeichen silber (wound badge silver), infantrie-sturmabzeichen bronze (infantry assault badge bronze).

Close combat clasp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_Combat_Clasp
    Wound badge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_Badge
    Infantry assault badge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infantry_Assault_Badge

The close combat clasp should actualy have looked goldish, but since its been in that box for the past 60 years or so the materials have reacted with the oxxygen so they need some polishing to look like new. The clasp apparently was a bit rare since only about 600-700 got the clasp during the war, which is kinda cool i think.

Heres a picture of a letter sent by an officer saying that my grandfathers unit was mentioned in the paper called "Falke".

Heres two pictures of my grandfater taken in 1942.

And heres some other pictures that i couldnt be bothered to comment

If you have any questiens feel freeto ask.

Regards
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by PostmandPer; 07-18-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Thanks for putting this out there. Regardless of whose side one was on, this is a living piece of history, brought to life by you. You have put this out there for the world to see and comment on, and that is awesome. Too few care what their Grandfather did, let alone care enough to bring it all to light.

My Regards and Respect.

Very nice, PostmanPer. You’re fortunate to have such meaningful mementos of your Grandfathers outstanding service.

Thanks for posting.

BTW, he has an uncanny resemblance to a member of these boards.

Boy, did he look young. A terrible time to be in one's early twenties.

I remember talking with my grandfather once, he said he didnt take of his boots for 3-4 months. The ones that did take theirs off (to dry socks and whatnot) often died. Because once your boots were off you couldnt take them back on because of the cold.
    i only want to say that Volgograd (former Stalingrad) is relatively southern Russia and there cant be 3-4 month of deep cold. may be 1 month if winter is really cold.

Truly amazing. Thank you for sharing.

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ljrmisty View Post
    Thanks for putting this out there. Regardless of whose side one was on, this is a living piece of history, brought to life by you. You have put this out there for the world to see and comment on, and that is awesome. Too few care what their Grandfather did, let alone care enough to bring it all to light.

My Regards and Respect.
    x2..................

wow beautiful medals ...

keep alive the memories of his grandfather

best regards

I love the smell of Turkey in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by ljrmisty View Post

My Regards and Respect.
    again x2....postmanper, keep these and your grandfathers memory alive. Glad you are taking care of these and hope you pass them on to your kids/grandkids.

Suspended for infractions

Incredible memories and keepsakes. Preserve them, you have quite a lot of family history there.

Thanks for sharing , very interesting .

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians ¯\(º_o)/¯

The CCC is a bronze grade - the most commonly awarded one.
    Over 36 k awards for this clasp.

Mind to share more photos of the medals?
    Look if they are marked - so you can tell the manufacturer.
    If not - post additional photos anyways.

Don't polish or clean them.
    You will ruin the patina and this will effect the value.

A one looker - in a good way - killer grouping.
    Take care of it!
    If you should ever considering selling the group, than please drop me a line.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Jarhead; 07-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Wow, guys. Thanks for all your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by merk666 View Post
    i only want to say that Volgograd (former Stalingrad) is relatively southern Russia and there cant be 3-4 month of deep cold. may be 1 month if winter is really cold.
    I never did say it was deep cold. Ofc. my grandfather was old, so the amount of months might not be exact. But that you werent able to put back your boots i still believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    The CCC is a bronze grade - the most commonly awarded one.
    Over 36 k awards for this clasp.
    How can you tell? There isnt really much color left on it. I thought about it being bronze once since the color on the left was a bit dark and therefore reminded more of the bronze color. But he never recieved the bronze one, in the papers it all says nahkampfspange III. stufe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

A one looker - in a good way - killer grouping.
    Take care of it!
    If you should ever considering selling the group, than please drop me a line.
    I will, though its family stuff so i probably wont sell it.
    Last edited by PostmandPer; 07-17-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians ¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote Originally Posted by PostmandPer View Post
    How can you tell? There isnt really much color left on it. I thought about it being bronze once since the color on the left was a bit dark and therefore reminded more of the bronze color. But he never recieved the bronze one, in the papers it all says nahkampfspange III. stufe.
    I made a mistake there - it looked totally like a bronze grade clasp on my cellphone.
    Now while re-looking at the photos on my PC I can clearly see the traces of the gold finish.
    It's not always easy to tell if its a bronze grade or a golden one which has lost all it's finish.

A rare and desireable group for sure.

By the way - I'd suggest you to put a water mark on the photos or at least black out the name ouf your Grandfather.
    There are many crooked fellows around the internets.
    Last edited by Jarhead; 07-17-2012 at 06:35 AM.

Thanks for posting that PostmanPer.

Could someone explain to a Florida boy the boots thing? They got stiff or something if you took them off?