Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whiny old man happy that Affleck not running for senate

Default Whiny old man happy that Affleck not running for senate

Because Ben Affleck decided not to run for Senate! Woohoo..

Ben Affleck is passing on the role of a lifetime. The “Argo” director and star announced Monday on Facebook that he won’t seek the Senate seat that John Kerry plans to vacate in Massachusetts if he’s confirmed as the next Secretary of State.

“I love Massachusetts and our political process, but I am not running for office,” wrote Affleck, 40, who was raised in Cambridge.
    He added that he has other priorities, including his Eastern Congo Initiative, a nonprofit group that helps the impoverished central African nation. Affleck testified before a congressional committee last week about security in the country.

“We are about to get a great Secretary of State and there are some phenomenal candidates in Massachusetts for his Senate seat. I look forward to an amazing campaign,” he wrote.

Affleck was coy during an appearance on CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday about whether he would run, saying he’s “really happy being involved from the outside in government.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...#ixzz2G7qt53UW

Okaaaay. Misleading thread name is misleading.

Zune Free At Last FlintHillBilly's Avatar

[SIZE=2]‘I love Massachusetts and our political process, but I am not running for office,’ the Hollywood actor wrote on Facebook. The son of the late Sen. Ted Kennedy also said he won’t run. [/SIZE]
    [LEFT][*******#000000]

I can't give the both of them enough thanks. The US has a glimmering light of hope now. Who can I send my token of appreciation to?
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Quote Originally Posted by Impartial Bias View Post
    Okaaaay. Misleading thread name is misleading.

Why do you say that? The world is much safer today, because a movie star is not entering politics.....I wish Al Franken would do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by HK in AK View Post
    Why do you say that? The world is much safer today, because a movie star is not entering politics.....I wish Al Franken would do the same.
    You a Reagan fan, bro?
    And personally, I think the offing of some Jehadi asshat in a place like Yemen, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. would make the world a safer place today. But a movie star deciding not to go into politics...? lol

Zune Free At Last FlintHillBilly's Avatar

You a Reagan fan, bro?
    And personally, I think the offing of some Jehadi asshat in a place like Yemen, Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. would make the world a safer place today. But a movie star deciding not to go into politics...? lol
    What does the article or what HK have anything to do with Reagan, sis. Bro stuff gets old.

As for the world being safer without more of those less qualified movie stars who seem to be entitled to enter politics due to their ego popularity complex, then i would agree that we are safer with their announcements. Sis.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

You a Reagan fan, bro?
    Ben Affleck a Reagan in the rough?

Quote Originally Posted by FlintHillBilly View Post
    What does the article or what HK have anything to do with Reagan, sis. Bro stuff gets old.

As for the world being safer without more of those less qualified movie stars who seem to be entitled to enter politics due to their ego popularity complex, then i would agree that we are safer with their announcements. Sis.
    Damn, cuz, you be harshing my mellow.
    The world is much safer today, because a movie star is not entering politics
    The way I read this, I interpreted it to mean that all movie stars should not enter into politics. It is quite possible that I misinterpreted this. I am not perfect. Alas, this is how I interpreted the statement.

As for entitlement, people determine there own "entitlements". This man has determined not to run, and so he is not entitled. If he were, he'd run for the hell of it. And ego popularity complexes are things that are near ubiquitous for those who go into politics, IMO. As a matter of fact, mass media has made it somewhat of a requirement to run for public office.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Ben Affleck a Reagan in the rough?
    Not what I was referring to.

You're forgiven because of your age.

You're forgiven because of your age.
    Please don't discount me because of that.
    I am legally an adult, if you feel that I am acting a fool, call me out on it and explain why.
    It is constructive.

Reagan has nothing to do with this issue. But since you brought it up, Reagan was a two-term governor of California before he became president. Prior to being governor of California, he was president of Screen Actors Guild.

So when you look at his career and then look at Franken and Affleck, they pale in comparison! It doesn't mean they can't grow to be people that deserve a vote, but right now neither should be in office (something that is unfortunate for Franken).

My title is the one I chose. And some dirtbag killed in some back alley isn't going to make the world safer, because they are like weeds...one just grows in their place. But a US senator has a reach much farther.

I don't know where you get your info, but Al Franken is doing a pretty damn good job representing the middle class, blue collar worker in his state

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

You didn't say anything about his politics, just the fact that it's good because a movie star is not running for office. So the question about Reagan seems appropriate.
    Just say you don't like his politics instead of hurr, movie stars suck.

Reagan has nothing to do with this issue. But since you brought it up, Reagan was a two-term governor of California before he became president. Prior to being governor of California, he was president of Screen Actors Guild.

So when you look at his career and then look at Franken and Affleck, they pale in comparison! It doesn't mean they can't grow to be people that deserve a vote, but right now neither should be in office (something that is unfortunate for Franken).

My title is the one I chose. And some dirtbag killed in some back alley isn't going to make the world safer, because they are like weeds...one just grows in their place. But a US senator has a reach much farther.
    Everyone has to start somewhere though. I think Affleck has good intentions, he just doesn't put them to use effectively, IMO. This fact alone probably eliminates him as someone I'd want being a senator, so yes.
    However, why I brought up Reagan was because he didn't have too much political experience before he became Governor. While he had helped other actors in their election campaigns, he was a Democrat at the time, and his views evolved over time from there. His Governorship is the first time he really started gaining worthwhile political experience.

You have to continually clean the weeds from your garden. It is a task that must be completed on a regular basis, for if you do not, eventually your garden will become over infested with weeds, which will overcome and deprive your flowers of nutrients and suffocate them.