Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: India Claims Problems With Russian-Leased Nuclear Sub

Default India Claims Problems With Russian-Leased Nuclear Sub

MOSCOW, December 26 (RIA Novosti) – India has asked Russia to replace the faulty parts on the leased Nerpa nuclear-powered submarine as they affect its operational readiness, the Times of India reported.

The Navy sources cited by the newspaper on Tuesday did not specify the components that needed the replacement but said they “were critical for the operations of the submarine.”

Neither Russian nor Indian defense ministries have officially commented on the report.

The Russian-built Akula II class nuclear attack submarine was inducted into the Indian Navy as INS Chakra in April.

The lease contract, worth over $900 million, was drawn up after an agreement between Moscow and New Delhi in January 2004, in which India agreed to fund part of the Nerpa's construction.

However, shortly after the start of sea trials in November 2008, an accident on board the submarine killed 20 sailors and technical due to a toxic gas leak when the automatic fire extinguishing system malfunctioned.

The Nerpa was finally handed over to India in January after prolonged and costly repairs.

The submarine has a maximum speed of 30 knots and a maximum operating depth of 600 m, while its endurance is 100 days with a crew of 73.

The vessel is armed with four 533-mm and four 650-mm torpedo tubes, although it cannot carry nuclear weapons under the lease provisions.

With the lease of the Nerpa, India became the sixth operator of nuclear submarines in the world, after the United States, Russia, France, Britain and China.

India’s domestically-designed INS Arihant nuclear submarine is expected to be ready for operational deployment in 2013 after final sea trials.

http://en.rian.ru/military_news/20121226/178402076.html

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Jesus. Poor India has awful problems lately with Russian hand-me-downs.

The Nerpa is not a hand-me-down, they are paying rent.

What in the hell happened to Russia's Industrial Base? This is verging on pathetic from a country like Russia. At least the U.S. get's their weapons delivered to India around deadline, AH-64 and P-8I as an example.

The Language seems harsh from .ru, which gives quite a negative impression..

Default Nuke sub Chakra facing problems with critical components: Navy

NEW DELHI: India's only Russian-origin nuclear submarine INS Chakra is facing problems with its critical components affecting its operational readiness.The 8,000-tonne submarine has been facing problems with its critical components and Russia has been asked to provide the parts for the vessel which need to be replaced, Navy sources told here.
    http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ra-ins-arihant

Quote Originally Posted by JasonC View Post
    At least the U.S. get's their weapons delivered to India around deadline, AH-64 and P-8I as an example.
    3 P-8I are still in Seattle, they never sign contract for AH-64. All six C-130 were delivered ahead of schedule, but let's not compare aircraft with unique carrier and nuclear submarine

Ah yes, all those AH-64's delivered on schedule.

Never mind none has been delivered at all.

Quote Originally Posted by metberkut View Post
    Ah yes, all those AH-64's delivered on schedule.

Never mind none has been delivered at all.

AH-64E BIII are under construction, which India bought, and will be delivered when the Boeing is paid. However, they already agreed to terms of set number of aircraft. P-8I are delivered to India, unless you are calling respectable defense websites liars. Meaning India has taken control of one, which they have.

Don't be butthurt that Russian Military Complex is shi**y at best. Can't even build their own LPD...

lol what a joke. How long was that thing delayed for, and the fire before that, etc...
    and now some critical components aren't working right; even after being in repair or whatever for god knows how long.

Who the fk is responsible for these screw-ups? Which engineers answering to which managers, answering to which bosses!? Off with the heads of all of them!

I have to say I end up siding with the Indians every time on such issues. Our greedy profiteers are too busy plundering their own factories to even pay attention to quality work.

AH-64E BIII are under construction, which India bought, and will be delivered when the Boeing is paid. However, they already agreed to terms of set number of aircraft. P-8I are delivered to India, unless you are calling respectable defense websites liars. Meaning India has taken control of one, which they have.

Don't be butthurt that Russian Military Complex is shi**y at best. Can't even build their own LPD...
    Don't get confused - quality control may be bad but the Russian military-industrial complex builds the most fearsome and amongst the most innovative weapons in the world. LPD is no problem but it's just a question of cost-vs-benefit.

What in the hell happened to Russia's Industrial Base? This is verging on pathetic from a country like Russia. At least the U.S. get's their weapons delivered to India around deadline, AH-64 and P-8I as an example.
    Maybe we should rephrase the article. Something like: The rented machine has a mallfunction. The Indians are trying to make a big fuss about it so that they don't have to pay for service and parts or they are just pushing the Ruskies to keep to the contract , whatever. It's just about whos gona pay for the service. And like all machines NukeSubs also need maintance.

The U.S. produces and delivers the armaments amazingly fast.

I can't believe how fast these procurement are going. Also the Super Hercules.

I'm sure the MoD is very satisfied.
    Last edited by Randy M; 12-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Interesting what parts exactly.
    This boat had a looong history of building, however for India it seems to be an uniq possibility and experience.

Haha First the engines of the SU-30MKI, then the bolier of the AC being blow up by bad firebricks, now this

The thing is the submarine is not a new build its actually been refurbished and refit for the Indian Navy from Cold War stock. Of course there are going to be some issues of replacing analog components for modern electronics. I bet India would probably wants her submarine to be equipped with domestic electronic systems and communications systems too, and with that it adds onto the problem with having to integrate software to work altogether..

For a country that has never operated a Nuclear vessel before like an India there is bound to be hiccups especially when one lacks the crew, training and experience in maintenance and handling. Even UK today are having trouble with their own recent builds of Astute Nuclear submarines its just not an easy thing to go about having.