Thread: US Advisors in Boliva ...

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

Default US Advisors in Boliva ...

In what capacity did the US play in helping with the Eventual Capture of Che Guevara . Am not convinced that the Bolivian Army alone had the skills to hunt and track down Rebellion against the Pro or current Regime which the US HELPED but after Che's eventual capture and execution .. did anything improve for the peasants and poor people within Boliva ....

Just want to clarify am not taking sides just asking a question

The story I know is that Bolivian farmer Pedro Pena told the Army where to find Guevara for a $4,000 dollar reward. After a short pursuit into a small canyon and a gun battle they surrendered. He was captured by the US trained 2nd Bolivian Ranger Battalion. Felix Rodriguez, a CIA operative, was supposedly with the Bolivian Rangers. That's the story I know but I'm no expert on it by a long shot.

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

Cheers ..............

Both the CIA and US Army Special Forces "advisors" were involved in the hunt for Che. I'll have to dig around to post links where you can read over the info in more detail.

IIRC Major Pappy Shelton of then 8th Grp trained the Bolivian Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
    In what capacity did the US play in helping with the Eventual Capture of Che Guevara . Am not convinced that the Bolivian Army alone had the skills to hunt and track down Rebellion against the Pro or current Regime which the US HELPED but after Che's eventual capture and execution .. did anything improve for the peasants and poor people within Boliva ....

Just want to clarify am not taking sides just asking a question
    Che and his band in Bolivia where a very small group(dozens) mostly Cubans and the operation depended on a link with a underground network in the capital which was was cut almost as soon as they deployed. They also had communication problems with Havana.. The concept of operation was extremely optimistic they basically needed the peasants to rise up en masse or they where doomed. Che wound up as Algerian Pm warned him a few years earlier as a Tarzan like figure in the jungle The band nearly starved to death in the mountains at one point. The Bolivian army with or without USA aid would have dealt with them in the end. I pretty sure(off to of head) the last actual capture contact the Americans where not involved and Felix turned up afterwards.

His Bolivian campaign is covered in great detail in numerous books
    Che himself left a detailed account in a captured diary
    The book Che Guevara a revolutionary life Jon Lee Anderson is a good account

The CIA agent legendary anti-communist fighter Felix Rodriguez
    (in many ways he and Che where a mirror image both fanatics and both welded to the use of physical force ) discuss his death here.