Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World War II emblem of U.S. military - which unit?

Question World War II emblem of U.S. military - which unit?

Greetings to all,

This is my first message here, because I am searching for information about some kind of emblem of the U.S. military, and Google is not much of a friend. I have made a photograph of the emblem and thrown it on Photobucket (having read the admins instructions about photographs, just for the record I can state that I owe both the picture and the object that it's on.).

Perhaps someone can tell which unit it belonged/belongs to. I only know that it was a World War II unit, active in Europe. It would be great, if anyone could tell more about it.

Link below:

As you can see, it looks like a bomb with flames at the top with, obviously, the letters U.S. in it. (An artillery unit?)

There is a bit of a story behind this emblem - or rather the object that it is on - if anyone is interested to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starborn View Post
    There is a bit of a story behind this emblem - or rather the object that it is on - if anyone is interested to hear it.
    Sure, and welcome to the forum!

it's the US Ordnance stamp. My guess is that it is on a M1 scabbard ?
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Pardon me for the perhaps dumb questions, but what is the U.S. Ordnance stamp?

Closest I could find for a unit would be the Gunner insignia,

Otherwise I'd say US Ordnance stamp.

I am sure someone will be more precise, however to make it simple, it the stamp, the US Gov't acceptance mark by the Ordnance Corp. You can find it on gun parts, blades, ordnance. It is a flaming bomb which may differ in shape and details, it depends on the era.

The U.S. Ordnance Corps. I found this just now:

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/362...cs-page-2.html

Wikipedia has this to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordnanc...States_Army%29

I think my question is answered. Fascinating.

Now I am curious : did I guess it right? is it on a scabbard?

Here's the story about this emblem.

My grandfather, who passed away in 2009, was a World War II volunteer. For decades he had this dagger (and his own army knife too, which is also still supposed to be somewhere in the house, but I've not found it. Yet.) After the passing of my grandmother earlier this year, we found the dagger in the basement of their house.

I remember my grandfather telling me the story of this dagger often. Sometime at the end of WWII, he was guarding German POW's, when he asked one German soldier if he was concealing any weapons. The German said "Nein" (so to speak), but when my grandfather searched him, he found a dagger on the German soldier.

My grandfather has always kept this dagger, and now that he is no more, I am kind of the new "owner", so to speak.

It is fascinating, when I think about this dagger - a dagger from an American GI, taken by a German soldier, confiscated by my grandfather, and now I am holding it in my hands.
    It must be at least 60 years old.
    I can't help but wonder who the American soldier was. Was he captured by the Germans (or worse)? When? Where? Who was he, where did he come from? Questions that I know I will never know the answer on.
    I hope that the American GI, whoever he was, made it back home safely.

So, sgtfcm, yes the emblem is on the scabbard of the dagger.

fascinating story! It would be nice to see a pic of the dagger and the scabbard ! I have to tell you though that the scabbard it will be US not german, but it is possible that your grandpa kept the german dagger in his scabbard. Let's see if we can help giving a correct ID.

Do you mean the dagger itself could be German? It fits in the scabbard, though. The grip looks like it's from wood, but it looks and feels more like plastic or something.

I didn't make pictures of the dagger itself. Being from/in Europe, I kind of hesitate to making and uploading pictures of knifes/daggers. Weapons (which this dagger is too, in a way) aren't as "accepted" here as they are in American culture, as the Americans here will surely know (silly as this may sound).

Don't tell me. Here bayonets and daggers must be registered as guns.
    I should see the dagger : the scabbard in my opinion could be like the one I posted above, right? so if it's US, it will not be a dagger but a bayonet. Here you have some examples of M1 bayonets http://www.johkaz.co.uk/knives.html

Oh what the heck. A couple of more photographs.

two

three

I don't think it's a bajonet. The upper part is genuine leather, not fabric.

What do you think?

interesting piece: the main scabbard is US made, but it looks like it has been modified, repaired with the leather parts (US members of the forum may be more accurate). The knife is a dagger as you stated. However it looks to me like a Fairbairn & Sykes blade (so british) with a replaced horn handle. Not a german "grabendolch" or combat knife.

http://www.fairbairnsykesfightingknives.com/