Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US scraps entire fleet of Afghan cargo planes

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

Default US scraps entire fleet of Afghan cargo planes

[*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]On the west end of Kabul International Airport, twin-engine C-27As sit side by side, sunlight reflecting off their gray wings and the green, black, and red of the Afghan flag emblazoned on their tails. For more than a year, though, most of the planes had been little more than expensive aviation exhibitions, unable to fly due to lack of spare parts and maintenance.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://www.*****es.com/news/us-scrap...lanes-1.202220

Since when did the US government complete an acquisition process for a major end item and not plan for enough spare parts??? Or is it just that the contractor is slow-walking service/the fix?

[*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]An Alenia representative was quoted in the Journal as saying the company had not received word of the decision and that the program had recently shown improvement.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]“It’s all a bit surprising that this decision is being made now when the [remediation] plan is being fully implemented,” the representative said.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Maybe the "remediation plan" wasn't part of the contract, stoopid representative.

C-27J was a big fight between the USAF and the Army, the Army ended up conceding the Airframes that it owned and transferred them to the USAF. As always the USAF doesn't want the Army to own anything larger than a Cessna Skycatcher.

Wrong topic, Soldat. It's about the C-27A or G.222 in the Afghan Air Force. Not the C-27J that was originally intended for Army/USAF service.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    Wrong topic, Soldat. It's about the C-27A or G.222 in the Afghan Air Force. Not the C-27J that was originally intended for Army/USAF service.
    In the end, the US shouldn't be alowed around any flavor of C-27.

Heads should be rolling for this screw up. What's next? going hat in hand to Antonov, and probably ending up with the same result?

That's a shame, I saw them on the tarmac there and I thought they'd be quite suitable for the short-to-medium-ish distance hauling of people and stuff around the country.

Cheaper than running a Herc for smaller loads over shorter distances I would guess.

Anyone currently with a fleet of C130s and looking for some airframes to complement them might be able to find a bargain.

If they sell cheap enough, I wonder if the RNZAF would be wise in looking at a few of them?

It might help keep the Herc fleet going a bit longer here.

I'd be thinking Australia, Indonesia, and Malaysia might be interested?

Brutal...you know when you repeat numbers and ****.

Quote Originally Posted by JUNKHO View Post
    http://www.*****es.com/news/us-scrap...lanes-1.202220

Since when did the US government complete an acquisition process for a major end item and not plan for enough spare parts??? Or is it just that the contractor is slow-walking service/the fix?

Maybe the "remediation plan" wasn't part of the contract, stoopid representative.
    The article said that...
    Alenia Aermacchi North America, a unit of Italian defense conglomerate Finmeccanica SpA, failed to meet the requirements of their contract to maintain the fleet, according to an email from U.S. Air Force spokesman Ed Gulick, who was quoted in the Journal.

“This decision comes after failed attempts by the contractor to generate a sufficient number of fully mission-capable aircraft that would provide an effective airlift capability for the AAF,” Gulick said in the email.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
    That's a shame, I saw them on the tarmac there and I thought they'd be quite suitable for the short-to-medium-ish distance hauling of people and stuff around the country.

Cheaper than running a Herc for smaller loads over shorter distances I would guess.

Anyone currently with a fleet of C130s and looking for some airframes to complement them might be able to find a bargain.

If they sell cheap enough, I wonder if the RNZAF would be wise in looking at a few of them?

Australia is getting 10x C27J Spartans on order, pity that Alenia said they won’t support the US aircraft if they on sell them would be good for the Kiwis, along with the A400M Germans don’t want, they would fulfill the strategic lift for the Kiwis, but unfortunately the systems are not compatible between aircraft unlike C27J/C130J.

My father's WWII unit, the 87th Infantry Division JUNKHO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The article said that...
    check....i guess it's just I just didn't read with comprehension .... OR because I have friends who worked for contractors servicing support helo/aircraft there. Did not see the support myself, but saw the results in terms of availability, renewal of contract, and getting paid for not only maintaining the availability rate, but being well above it for months at a stretch (and getting built-in incentives).

Now I know it was done primarily for the money, that's business. But they were also being depended on by many people, some of whom were putting shyt on the line, and apparently that concerned the contractor also. Enough so at least that they did their job well and continued to do it for some time.

How could this program get so bad that the entire thing would be scrapped and the replacement component is not even on-hand? Makes my tiny brain bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagg View Post

these are pretty old aircraft, with no compatibility with the herc. Who on earth could use them?

G.222 have always been hangar queens, with a design flaw in the main landing gear's hydraulics system, and Alenia always have always had a pechant for screwing over whomever was unfortunate enough to buy them.

I'm not surprised they decided to scrap them.

My bad, I thought all C27 models had a lot of Herc compatibility.....not just the J model.

Still....I could imagine a market for private contract cargo and people hauling in semi-permissive AOs.

If 1 of those things was flying regularly in private hands on the circuit from Kabul to the provincial centres I reckon it could do some mean business.

Like a high risk UPS/Fed-Ex, maybe tied in with UNHAS.

With the crazy accident record by aircraft types like the An26(which I might have to fly in a few months), I would think something like a supply of 2nd hand C27s going into the private sector could be a good thing....maybe all the retired Italian Air Force planes is a good thing in terms of spares support.

ANZAC Moderator Ngati Tumatauenga's Avatar

You should read 'Outlaws Inc', bro.

[*******#333333] the Army ended up conceding the Airframes that it owned and transferred them to the USAF.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Spacepope View Post
    In the end, the US shouldn't be alowed around any flavor of C-27.
    I don't understand what you mean. No C-27A/J for the US at all? Just C-130?

From what I've heard the -J were doing just fine in their units and on deployment.