Thread: New York murder rate at lowest rate in 50 years

Default New York murder rate at lowest rate in 50 years

Crime rates and gun laws across the country have been in the spotlight since the December 14 slaying of 20 children and six adults at an elementary school in Connecticut by a 20-year-old who also killed his mother and eventually himself.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-50-years.html

Congrats NY!

Just kidding, just kidding...

Hocus Pocus Diplodocus the Psychic Dinosaur

Gun control must be working then.

It'll be so much better when more criminals hand in their guns, too.
    Last edited by wagon; 12-29-2012 at 06:01 AM.

Where the pleasures are many, and the dangers are few

I once read somewhere that the droping murder rates are related to the better treatment of gunshot wound...

It's the economy. Gangstas can't buy ammo for their 9s

Hey everyone, look at me, I'm the only important one here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mackie View Post
    Yet you have the following published on Oct 3rd,

For the First Time in 20 Years, New York's Crime Rate Is on the Rise

That dropping homicide rate is almost worth celebrating until you compare it with a civilised part of the world with a similar population.

Looking at the slide since 1990 though, it would be interesting to see how trauma medicine and its provision in NYC has changed over the period.

This is the part in Batman where the Joker shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Der_ganze_Tod View Post
    I once read somewhere that the droping murder rates are related to the better treatment of gunshot wound...
    Well in the article it states the number of shootings are also dropping, and the number of people in prison as well.

I think there is a combination of factors, including harsher penalties on petty crime etc.

Happy New year MP.net!

Any statistics is as good as it's compiled. Crime statistics in USA is estimated using some counties reports as sampling examples. And it is as accurate as these reports are made (used classification choices, completeness of registration, etc.)

The New York is an exemption and is using centralized IBM made (of course, it's IBM home city after all) "complete" registration, mapping and analyzing system Compstat.
    Here one can find review of a book discussing application of this system in NYPD.
    http://clcjbooks.rutgers.edu/books/c...bers_game.html
    .....For additional evidence of impropriety, Eterno and Silverman compare Compstat data to hospital data on assaults and drug-related crimes. The NYPD reported nearly a 50% drop in assaults in the years 1999-2006, but hospital records for these years showed a 90% increase in emergency room visits for assaults, a 129% surge in ER visits for firearms assaults, and a 15% rise in hospitalizations for assault-related injuries. “Absolutely none of the hospital data showed the marked decrease in assaults that the NYPD claims. These data are in stark contrast to the NYPD’s and clearly are evidence of manipulation,” the authors claim. They also cite the disparities between a 22.5% decrease in drug use felonies reported by the NYPD between 2000 and 2009 (and a 32% decrease in drug-related misdemeanors between 2002 and 2006) in contrast to the 14% increase in the proportion of hospitalizations that were drug-related, according to data from the city’s Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Department for the years 1999 to 2006.....
    Here is a post on one interesting site, which probably should be the first choice to ask or look for police related information in the USA:
    http://lawenforcementtoday.com/2012/...me-statistics/
    ....Essentially the problem was there was such great pressure on supervisors to reduce crime statistics that it led to a systemic practice of the intentional misclassification of serious crimes as petty offenses and deliberate pressure to change reports to represent a less serious offense. Officers reported being pressured to change report classifications so as to under report serious crime. A typical example would be changing a report to reflect a theft from building rather then a burglary or a theft from person rather than robbery....

Just as reference:
    http://www.criminaljustice.ny.gov/cr...es/Regions.pdf
    burglary:

NY state non NY city:
    2002 2011
    46k 46k
    No changes at all;

NY city:
    2002 2011
    30k 18k
    Khhhm.
    Last edited by DS73; 01-01-2013 at 09:35 AM.

My point was that gun control has nothing to with it.
    NY is just socially more functional than other cities.
    There is no functional link between gun control and more/less crime.