Thread: Russia's Anti-Putin 'Singing Paratrooper' Has Car Wash Demolished

Default Russia's Anti-Putin 'Singing Paratrooper' Has Car Wash Demolished

[LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]
    The Russian authorities have knocked down a Moscow car wash belonging to a paratrooper-turned-opposition-activist. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Mikhail Vis****ky, whose amateur band the Singing Paratroopers shot to fame with a song sharply critical of President Vladimir Putin, says the building was unlawfully demolished overnight.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]"OMON riot police occupied the premises overnight, without any bailiffs present," he told RFE/RL.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]"Without any documents or explanations, they started taking people to police buses and stations, and destroyed our building. In my opinion, this is real banditry, a real property grab."
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-.../24811297.html
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]
    Hey, looks like the 90s are back.
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

I wonder who's behind this. Those cops in the video obviously know something is not by the book either, that's why they're acting so evasive.

Quote Originally Posted by Spezz View Post
    I wonder who's behind this. Those cops in the video obviously know something is not by the book either, that's why they're acting so evasive.
    My money would be on the people trying to build the shopping center, and the people they bribed. Though it is a bit of a weird coincidence that the car wash in question just happened to be owned by a guy who wrote a protest song against Putin, maybe its a case of local authorities trying to kill two birds with one stone?

Banned user

Car Wash was build illegaly from what I know.

[LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]From the above article:

The former paratrooper was notified about the pending demolition in October. He was told that the car wash had been renovated in violation of city regulations and needed to be razed.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Vis****ky appealed and a court on December 24 backed him up, ruling that the bailiffs [/FONT][/COLOR]had no legal authority [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]to order the demolition.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]

Apparently the court thought differently just last week. [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Polonium comin' up next.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Polonium comin' up next.
    Ever tryed read before posting? I mean not just a headline.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Polonium comin' up next.
    Nah, if this story gets enough public attention in Russia it may actually go Vis****ky's way, if not, then he'll be waving his Dec. 24th court decision around but that won't do him any good. Hopefully Navalnyj will get on the case and spread the word.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Vanya View Post
    Nah, if this story gets enough public attention in Russia it may actually go Vis****ky's way, if not, then he'll be waving his Dec. 24th court decision around but that won't do him any good. Hopefully Navalnyj will get on the case and spread the word.
    The knight in shining armor will come to rescue for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by my name again View Post
    The knight in shining armor will come to rescue for sure.
    Well, his blog is probably one of the best mechanisms for getting information about things like these to max number of people in shortest possible time...but sorry, you were accusing me of idol worship I think, do go on.

It doesn't matter if a construction is build illegally. It can not be razed without a proper procedure. The state can not respond to illegal acts in an illegal way.
    Riot police, entering the premises at night, refusing to identify themselves, not presenting any documents, detaining people for asking questions... yea, all that sounds ok .

Sorry for honest Russians living in Russia if the 90s are back...

Making Canadians look bad sepheronx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BogT View Post
    It doesn't matter if a construction is build illegally. It can not be razed without a proper procedure. The state can not respond to illegal acts in an illegal way.
    Riot police, entering the premises at night, refusing to identify themselves, not presenting any documents, detaining people for asking questions... yea, all that sounds ok .

Sorry for honest Russians living in Russia if the 90s are back...
    Doubt it is that bad. Examples of my view from afar:
    1) No Chechen war
    2) New jobs being built consistantly (maybe in poor regions or more so in rich regions, don't know)
    3) Very low unemployment (not counting illegals)
    4) Extremely more amounts of money

But it seems like corruption is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by sepheronx View Post
    Doubt it is that bad. Examples of my view from afar:
    1) No Chechen war
    2) New jobs being built consistantly (maybe in poor regions or more so in rich regions, don't know)
    3) Very low unemployment (not counting illegals)
    4) Extremely more amounts of money

But it seems like corruption is still there.
    Corruption has always been there, not just in the 90s. Corruption was there in the 19th century and the 20th century and in the 21st.

Yep. Everyone who thinks that corruption is a new problem in Russia or is specific to any particular government should brush up on their Gogol.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamming_Python View Post
    Yep. Everyone who thinks that corruption is a new problem in Russia or is specific to any particular government should brush up on their Gogol.
    Difference being that I haven't heard of anything like this happening since the early 2000s...outside of Krasnodar Krai atleast. What I find very strange in this is that Vis****ky appealed the original court decision and won, the court cleared his car wash. If the appeal was shot down, everything would be simple: someone with money wanted the land, bribed the court, court took care of the rest; but this added twist makes no sense what so ever.
    Last edited by Uncle_Vanya; 01-03-2013 at 02:08 AM.