Thread: Record Number of Afghan Soldiers Killed in 2012

Default Record Number of Afghan Soldiers Killed in 2012

[SIZE=4]Record Number of Afghan Soldiers Killed in 2012[/SIZE]

Dec. 30, 2012 - 11:35AM | By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

KABUL — More than 1,000 Afghan soldiers died in action this year, the highest since the Taliban insurgency began, as the army assumes more responsibility before NATO forces withdraw in 2014, officials said Dec. 30.

“In the past nine months, 906 Afghan army soldiers were killed. A total of 1,056 soldiers were killed in 2012,” defense ministry spokesman Gen. Mohammad Zahir Azimi told reporters in Kabul. “The toll has increased compared to the previous years.”
    Article continued @ Defense News

Sad news. As I understand these are just the numbers for the ANA, not including ANP forces?

Rest in Peace.

€dit:

According to an AP report:

Nearly 1,400 police died in the 10 months from March 21, 2012 to the end of this year, compared to about the same number for the 12 months beginning March 21, 2011. The Afghan government follows a calendar year starting March 21.
    The last article also includes the number for ISAF soldiers killed in action (394), Afghan civilians (ca. 800-1200) and insurgents (ca. 3000).
    Last edited by Steak-Sauce; 12-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak-Sauce View Post
    Article continued @ Defense News

Sad news. As I understand these are just the numbers for the ANA, not including ANP forces?

Rest in Peace.

€dit:

According to an AP report:

The last article also includes the number for ISAF soldiers killed in action (394), Afghan civilians (ca. 800-1200) and insurgents (ca. 3000).
    Well it would make sense to see higher numbers of Afghan National Army and Police deaths what with their gradual assumption of greater responsibility for operations. Still sad news however.
    I think we can probably expect the civilian casualty figures to be grossly bloated out of proportion by the media which will have more people up in arms about the whole campaign as they are otherwise ignorant of what is really going on out there. It really winds me up when i see people talking in the news about how there have been "hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians killed" and how ISAF and the coalition has killed "thousands of children" in the country, or that ISAF is in fact somehow responsible for the vast majority of civilian casualties when it is clearly the opposite by an enormous margin.
    I really wish they would do some independent research in to the topic instead of merely blurting what the sensationalist press print, even worse is the fact that the press often seems to follow the line of insurgent propaganda, even here in the UK especially where airborne and drone operations are concerned.
    If only people tried to find out the real story, it often makes me question as to who the public really supports in this whole thing.

I also believe that 2012 has sadly been a record year for Green on Blue attacks, quite awful this whole business.

We must be thankful for the coalition’s sacrifices. RIP.