Thread: An american base in Erbil?

Default An american base in Erbil?

So after some research I found some images of a military base in Erbil. From what I've seen there is a mix of American soldiers and Peshmerga based there.

It's right by the new airport. I found some aerial pictures and linked it to pictures post by travelers.

A close up

This can be linked to (Erbil 2011)

I don't know the reason behind the flag on his arm, possibly just a nice gesture or to determine his location?

More pics of the base:

Maybe this is linked to the rumor back in 2010 which states 7000-10,000 Americans will be be based in the KRG or maybe just trainers?

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

When I was in Iraq, there was a field artillery battalion based in Erbil as part of US Division North. They also kept Abrams and Bradleys up there that weren't being used because it was easier to get them out of the country from Erbil International, but these were usually in the process of being sent out of the country and never more than company strength. The Army battalion up there was rolling around in MRAPS, and often caused problems with the KRG because they were still treating Kurdistan like it was the rest of Iraq, pointing their weapons at the Kurds, taking down intersections, etc. At the time, they wouldn't even let soldiers off base in less than squad strength with full battle rattle, while the rest of us that went up there were walking around in civilian clothes and having fun at the amusement park.

That base is gone now, as far as I know. I believe we turned it over to the Iraqi government (read: KRG) in 2011, but there are no US military units left up there, just some guys that might be helping with training.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    When I was in Iraq, there was a field artillery battalion based in Erbil as part of US Division North. They also kept Abrams and Bradleys up there that weren't being used because it was easier to get them out of the country from Erbil International, but these were usually in the process of being sent out of the country and never more than company strength. The Army battalion up there was rolling around in MRAPS, and often caused problems with the KRG because they were still treating Kurdistan like it was the rest of Iraq, pointing their weapons at the Kurds, taking down intersections, etc. At the time, they wouldn't even let soldiers off base in less than squad strength with full battle rattle, while the rest of us that went up there were walking around in civilian clothes and having fun at the amusement park.

That base is gone now, as far as I know. I believe we turned it over to the Iraqi government (read: KRG) in 2011, but there are no US military units left up there, just some guys that might be helping with training.
    Thanks for the info mate. I was in Kurdistan in 2004 and 2009 both times I saw a fair amount of American troops mostly in the holiday resorts they were however unarmed. I also saw a few armed soldiers in the cities but as far as I know no body had any problems with them, it always depends on the individual though, I'm sure there are a few *****s in every armed forces.