Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blessed Russian arms

Default Blessed Russian arms

Hello MP.net, a long time lurker & first time poster greets you with respect. Sure feels quite weird posting here, having simply followed the often great conversations for such a long time. Indeed, Iīve been silently watching you since maybe -08, I saw the PAK FA fly here (bloody exciting times!), I too was shocked when the forum travelled back in time, I donīt miss Sandman and yes, CJ is awesome. I also learned never ever again to search for the "Tom of Finland" -thread

Anyway, itīs time to break silence. I stumbled upon this picture on a finnish funnypics website, and grew curious.. What exactly is going on, why and does this happen elsewhere?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blessed_russian_arms.jpg 
Views:	1692 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	195502

XII Detached Signals Company, Artillery Platoon, 1999-2000

Quote Originally Posted by KZAQ666 View Post
    Hello MP.net, a long time lurker & first time poster greets you with respect. Sure feels quite weird posting here, having simply followed the often great conversations for such a long time. Indeed, Iīve been silently watching you since maybe -08, I saw the PAK FA fly here (bloody exciting times!), I too was shocked when the forum travelled back in time, I donīt miss Sandman and yes, CJ is awesome. I also learned never ever again to search for the "Tom of Finland" -thread

Anyway, itīs time to break silence. I stumbled upon this picture on a finnish funnypics website, and grew curious.. What exactly is going on, why and does this happen elsewhere?

Yeah. Return to Christianity and its values bring some times such moronic things as blessings of facilities, vehicles, and even weapons with "holy water".

We have same thing in Greece too. Maybe it's a "thing" of Orthodox countries only, but contrary to majority of Orthodox countries Russia is a multinational and multi-religious country. I wonder if they call Imams to bless same weapons for Muslim soldiers too. Quite funny, reasonless, retrograding, stupid.

In Greece, we have blessing ceremony in every school in September of each year. It is not unusual to people to order blessing of their new bought car and especially of new office/company etc. Airline companies also order blessing ceremony of new purchased airliners for example. I also do understand importance of priests in Military... but blessing of firearms... that goes beyond my understanding of values preached by religion.

same here. Roman Catholic blessing of Daewoo SAWs.

Name:	tumblr_m7n5a9VcO51r9khx4o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	2631 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	195505

Quote Originally Posted by KZAQ666 View Post

Kind a restoring of traditions:

Btw one of Su-34 is named after saint Nicolas:

This is Santa for boys who were really bad)

Quote Originally Posted by Aznthang View Post
    same here. Roman Catholic blessing of Daewoo SAWs.

Name:	tumblr_m7n5a9VcO51r9khx4o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	2631 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	195505
    Roman Catholic?? I donīt think so.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by BitnikGr View Post
    Yeah. Return to Christianity and its values bring some times such moronic things as blessings of facilities, vehicles, and even weapons with "holy water".

We have same thing in Greece too. Maybe it's a "thing" of Orthodox countries only, but contrary to majority of Orthodox countries Russia is a multinational and multi-religious country. I wonder if they call Imams to bless same weapons for Muslim soldiers too. Quite funny, reasonless, retrograding, stupid.

In Greece, we have blessing ceremony in every school in September of each year. It is not unusual to people to order blessing of their new bought car and especially of new office/company etc. Airline companies also order blessing ceremony of new purchased airliners for example. I also do understand importance of priests in Military... but blessing of firearms... that goes beyond my understanding of values preached by religion.

"I shall not dishonor these sacred arms, nor leave the man stationed
    beside me in the line. I will defend both the sacred and secular places
    and not hand over the fatherland smaller, but greater and mightier as
    far as I and all are able, and I shall listen to those in power at the
    time and the laws which have been drawn up those that will be, and if
    anyone will abolish them I shall not give way to them as far as I and
    all are able, and I will honor the ancestral cults. My witnesses are
    the gods Aglauros, Hestia, Enyo, Enyalios, Ares, and Athena Areia,
    Zeus, Thallo, Auxo, Hegemone, Herakles...

Ancient Greek Hoplite oath.
    Last edited by PKSPO; 02-10-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormovik View Post
    Roman Catholic?? I donīt think so.
    What's so hard to believe? Those look like Filipino Army soldiers and last i checked they were a predominantly Catholic country.

Potty trained to the excess kerfuffled's Avatar

Does holy water make the guns rusty or do they use holy Hoppe's oil?

Yeah, this happens in Russia and Belarussia.
    No comments...

Quote Originally Posted by kutter View Post
    What's so hard to believe? Those look like Filipino Army soldiers and last i checked they were a predominantly Catholic country.
    Definitely Roman Catholic. This was taken with AFP soldiers down south and those are K3 SAWs.

Imagine the international ***** storm if some rabbis start blessing weapons for IDF in this fashion.

It gives +1 fire damage and +3 cold resilience to the wielder.

Joking aside, orthodox christian faith is a big part of national identity in some countries. Just a part of observing some of those traditions and upholding of that identity.

Suspended for infractions

Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    Imagine the international ***** storm if some rabbis start blessing weapons for IDF in this fashion.
    Not only were those arms blessed for the fight down south, our president back in 2000 ate roast pig inside a captured mosque back in 2000. Political correctness is an alien term here.

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

Happens in many countries that are Catholic or Orthodox Christian, see it on a yearly basis in Romania.

Military Units get blessed with their equipment on various Saint / Holy days.

Not all countries practice a clear division of Church & State.