Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: The Boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB

  1. #1

    Default The Boneyard at Davis-Monthan AFB

    This is where all Air Force planes go after retirement. It must be a cool place to visit, since the public can explore it with little restrictions.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_uKZ0a1KaI

  2. #2
    Tom of Mumbai's fluffer ubermensche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    On a beach, having a nice BBQ with Marine SEALs.
    Posts
    4,664

    Default

    Looks like I found the place for my next vacation!

  3. #3
    Zune Free At Last FlintHillBilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Generation lost in debt
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minefield View Post
    It must be a cool place to visit, since the public can explore it with little restrictions.
    I believe that is incorrect being it's a bus tour.

    Now the museum next door is pretty damn impressive. Quite the selection of planes/helicopters to keep you busy for hours.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Euroamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Potato and Sugarbeet Land
    Posts
    7,573

    Default

    DMAFB and AMARC are locked down except for the above described bus tours, if they are still doing those..

    You want to go to the Pima Air Museum. It is awesome. Go in Spring or Fall when it isn't too hot yet! There are also private scrapping and refurb businesses around south Tucson that you can drive by and look at hanger queens and aircraft that are getting recycled or smelted.

    I believe we have at least one member here on MP.Net who works at the Pima Air Museum.

  5. #5
    Moderator James's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Washington
    Age
    40
    Posts
    15,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroamerican View Post
    DMAFB and AMARC are locked down except for the above described bus tours, if they are still doing those..

    You want to go to the Pima Air Museum. It is awesome. Go in Spring or Fall when it isn't too hot yet! There are also private scrapping and refurb businesses around south Tucson that you can drive by and look at hanger queens and aircraft that are getting recycled or smelted.

    I believe we have at least one member here on MP.Net who works at the Pima Air Museum.
    Word.

    12345

  6. #6
    Zune Free At Last FlintHillBilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Generation lost in debt
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroamerican View Post
    DMAFB and AMARC are locked down except for the above described bus tours, if they are still doing those..

    You want to go to the Pima Air Museum. It is awesome. Go in Spring or Fall when it isn't too hot yet!
    I was at Pima in October and got to spend a few hours at the Museum, well worth the money and well worth a revisit IMO. I asked about the bone yard and they were at the time doing bus tours but my dumb self decided to go on a Saturday. So no tour for me. Next time if the bone yard is available I'll be sure to not go on a weekend. I took hundreds of photos at Pima alone.

    Just a few.
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/15ckqab.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/57a6e.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2mi17aw.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/17s4df.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/2a98gg2.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/oa7v2u.jpg[/IMG]

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    108

    Default

    I'm all for preserving a bit of history, but there must be millions of dollars worth of scrap metal in the boneyard.

  8. #8
    Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Posts
    10,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlintHillBilly View Post
    I was at Pima in October and got to spend a few hours at the Museum, well worth the money and well worth a revisit IMO. I asked about the bone yard and they were at the time doing bus tours but my dumb self decided to go on a Saturday. So no tour for me. Next time if the bone yard is available I'll be sure to not go on a weekend. I took hundreds of photos at Pima alone.
    Great shots, sir.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Cstafford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,930

    Default

    That p-51D looking jet is classy as hell looking.

  10. #10
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leading maxima10 around by the nose.
    Posts
    23,313

    Default

    That YC-14 is just depressing. And I wonder if they could get that B-58 back in the air with a lot of work? I know if I were Bill Gates that'd be my warbird (if they'd sell it to me).

  11. #11
    Senior Member Euroamerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Potato and Sugarbeet Land
    Posts
    7,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andypandy820 View Post
    I'm all for preserving a bit of history, but there must be millions of dollars worth of scrap metal in the boneyard.
    That's what they do in AMARC. Everything useful eventually gets recycled.

  12. #12
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leading maxima10 around by the nose.
    Posts
    23,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroamerican View Post
    That's what they do in AMARC. Everything useful eventually gets recycled.
    World's largest cannibalization yard.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Elbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Pollos Hermanos
    Posts
    5,829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andypandy820 View Post
    I'm all for preserving a bit of history, but there must be millions of dollars worth of scrap metal in the boneyard.
    And even more millions in spare parts waiting to be sold off.

  14. #14

    Default

    IŽd love to visit it, so much history there !

  15. #15
    Senior Member subotai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    L-Point
    Posts
    2,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armored_diplomacy View Post
    IŽd love to visit it, so much history there !
    Love that place. I wish the website had the history of the aircraft that the museum book does.
    These are some of my favorite birds there:

    http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=36
    http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=58
    http://www.pimaair.org/collection-detail.php?cid=92

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •