Thread: Operation Homecoming: 40 Year Anniversary of the Return of US POWs from Vietnam

Default Operation Homecoming: 40 Year Anniversary of the Return of US POWs from Vietnam

40 years ago this week, some remarkable men (and one woman) became the first of several groups of heroes to return home from the prison camps of the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong . . . respect.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123336076

Cheers!
    RL

In 1999 I had the honor of being on one of those C141As on its last leg of moving troops. Once it unloaded our troop cargo, it was heading to Wright Patterson AFB to be put on display. Will never forget the honor of that experience. The inside airframe had framed pictures all along the fuselage of those POWs. Thanks for sharing.

If I can remember his story correctly, my cousin (AF pararescue with the JGG) was actually stationed in the Philippines when one of those planes stopped to refuel. During his tour(s) in Vietnam, two of his partners went MIA, and from one of the incidents, he saw him "just disappear into the jungle..." But anyway, when the POWs got off to stretch their legs and whatnot, his buddy that disappeared right before his eyes stepped right out of that plane. Needless to say, it was a rather tearful reunion (and remembering it still causes him to tear up). Both of his teammates would come home apart of that Operation.

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedVulture View Post
    In 1999 I had the honor of being on one of those C141As on its last leg of moving troops. Once it unloaded our troop cargo, it was heading to Wright Patterson AFB to be put on display. Will never forget the honor of that experience. The inside airframe had framed pictures all along the fuselage of those POWs. Thanks for sharing.
    I visited that C-141 in the National Museum of the United States Air Force. Really incredible, one of the most moving planes there. That and the Vietnam POW exhibit were very powerful parts of the museum to visit.