Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PRC selectively tolerant of Christian missionaries in Tibet

buck duck huck luck muck puck ruck suck tuck yuck fuuuuuuuu muck's Avatar

Beijing intends to destroy the Tibetan indentity and to achieve that goal they'd stoop to anything including the 'importation' of foreign religions. On a slightly related note, I have little to none respect for people who want to encourage others to give up their beliefs and adopt what the missionaries brought along.
    Chris and Sarah have a strong affinity for Tibetan culture, even if elements of Tibetan religion strike them as sinister or harsh: its icons, the shamanistic rituals, the draconian precepts of reincarnation. "I love these people so much, and I feel like I … I want them to be free from fear," said Sarah. God, she said, brought her overwhelming feelings of love and compassion – feelings she wanted her Tibetan friends to share. Yet so far, progress has been slow. "You can't expect to go into this really rocky field and immediately plant corn," she continued. "It's going to take some time."
    If they really respected the culture they'd leave the Tibetans alone.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    If they really respected the culture they'd leave the Tibetans alone.
    So people are incompetent to decide whether or not they will adopt aspects of foreign culture and need to be protected from it?

You're basically asking for restrictions on freedom of speech and the competition of ideas in the name of preserving culture.

I'm asking for nothing. All I was saying is that self-declared "affinity" to a culture and the desire to replace a crucial part of it don't go together.

Quote Originally Posted by muck View Post
    I'm asking for nothing. All I was saying is that self-declared "affinity" to a culture and the desire to replace a crucial part of it don't go together.
    Why?

A lot of people like Arab culture but wish they'd lay off the honor killings and Jihad.

A lot of people like American culture but wish we'd stop exporting crappy movies and Taylor Swift hate songs.

I like some aspects of German culture but I was pretty horrified to see 70 year old dudes laying out in the Tiergarten butt *****.

etc.

Keep the good, replace the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    Why?

Their religion is bad now?

Quote Originally Posted by Sootan View Post
    Their religion is bad now?
    According to some people, yes.

[*******#333333]Some lure young Tibetans with the promise of English lessons or professional training and coax them into conversion after making sure of their loyalty. Various Tibetans in Xining expressed disgust with this tactic. One likened it to bribery.[/COLOR]
    class act...

Banned user

According to some people, yes.
    Any trustworthy people?

If anyone destroys culture it is those missionaries

US missionaries managed to complete the work of the conquistadors in Latin America by destroying the remains of precolumbian culture and religion (of which surprisingly much had survived between a thin veneer of catholicism) and now they're at it in Tibet.
    If I were the chinese I would tolerate mainstream christianity (Catholicism, Lutheranism, Orthodoxy) but fight the US evanglical church industry.
    This is not "freedom of ideas" but multibillion dollar cooperations preying on the weak.

Why?

A lot of people like Arab culture but wish they'd lay off the honor killings and Jihad.

A lot of people like American culture but wish we'd stop exporting crappy movies and Taylor Swift hate songs.

I like some aspects of German culture but I was pretty horrified to see 70 year old dudes laying out in the Tiergarten butt *****.

etc.

If you say so. That was just a sideline comment by me anyway. One point still stands: those people make themselves willing tools in the Commies' quest to destroy the Tibetan identity.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    This is not "freedom of ideas" but multibillion dollar cooperations preying on the weak.
    Right. Obviously people in the Third World are too stupid to decide for themselves what culture to adopt and what religion to follow. They need to be protected from outside influences. Because they are "weak" and lesser human beings. That's not racist or imperialistic at all.

Right. Obviously people in the Third World are too stupid to decide for themselves what culture to adopt and what religion to follow. They need to be protected from outside influences. Because they are "weak" and lesser human beings. That's not racist or imperialistic at all.
    And why shouldn't a person living in a agrarian society be weak when confronted with a organisation from a industrial society?
    The difference in education and financial means alone is decisive.

[*******#333333]Chris and Sarah have a strong affinity for Tibetan culture, even if elements of Tibetan religion strike them as sinister or harsh: its icons, the shamanistic rituals, the draconian precepts of reincarnation.[/COLOR]
    Right, because a concept of someone first killing almost the entire planet and later sending his son to be tortured to be able to forgive sin, which he knew is going to be committed, who will later judge the entire planet and either send people to eternal place of happiness or eternal place of torture is perfectly ok. Oh, and of course their book doesn't teach that slavery, killing unbelievers (even if it is the whole town), marrying rapist, killing rape victim who didn't scream loud enough, women who are not virgins on wedding night, blasphemers, killing people working on holy day, killing sons of sinners is perfectly ok

What the heck...

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    And why shouldn't a person living in a agrarian society be weak when confronted with a organisation from a industrial society?
    The difference in education and financial means alone is decisive.
    Umm we're talking about convincing people to change religions, not war...

I'm not sure what education and financial means have to do with it. People are either convinced or they aren't.

You should read up on the growth of Christianity in the Third World. Most of it is not spread by western missionaries but by religious leaders preaching to their own cultures and communities. In fact many of these places have turned the tables and are now sending missionaries to western nations. For example In college I lived in a dorm with a kid from South Korea whose dad came to the US to preach Christianity to Americans. There's a church near where I live that was founded by missionaries from Rwanda to the United States.