Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cameron: We Will Not Return Koh-I-Noor Crown Jewel to India

Default Cameron: We Will Not Return Koh-I-Noor Crown Jewel to India

AMRITSAR, India, Feb 21 (*******) - British Prime Minister David Cameron says a giant diamond his country forced India to hand over in the colonial era that was set in a royal crown will not be returned.Speaking on the third and final day of a visit to India aimed at drumming up trade and investment, Cameron ruled out handing back the 105-carat Koh-i-Noor diamond, now on display in the Tower of London.

The diamond had been set in the crown of the current Queen Elizabeth's late mother.One of the world's largest diamonds, some Indians - including independence leader Mahatma Gandhi's grandson - have demanded its return to atone for Britain's colonial past."I don't think that's the right approach," Cameron told reporters on Wednesday after becoming the first serving British prime minister to voice regret about one of the bloodiest episodes in colonial India, a massacre of unarmed civilians in the city of Amritsar in 1919.

"It is the same question with the Elgin Marbles," he said, referring to the classical Greek marble sculptures that Athens has long demanded be given back."The right answer is for the British Museum and other cultural institutions to do exactly what they do, which is to link up with other institutions around the world to make sure that the things which we have and look after so well are properly shared with people around the world."I certainly don't believe in 'returnism', as it were. I don't think that's sensible."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_2730168.html

First the jews now the Indians. I guess the international doctrine of "finder's keepers, losers weepers" applies.

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dimethyltriptomine View Post
    First the jews now the Indians. I guess the international doctrine of "finder's keepers, losers weepers" applies.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Well there goes any chance of getting them to buy Typhoons instead of Rafales.

Banned user

the largest Diamond in the World Darya-ye Noor (182 carat the second largest Kooh-i-Noor is 105 carat) is also Indian in origin,Nader Shah of Iran invaded india in 1739 and captured it. Now its in Hands of Central Bank of Iran. In the Largest Diamond collection in the World ( Royal Iranian Jewelry Museum )
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darya-ye_Noor

Indians should sue in America. OR better Americans of Indian descent. ICON THIS IS YOUR CHANCE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimethyltriptomine View Post
    What a load of s*#t. The Jews were citizens who were betrayed by their country and/or occupying power and had their goods stolen. The Koh-I-Noor diamond was seeded by the Sikh Empire to the UK as part of the Treaty of Bhyowal that ended the Second Anglo-Sikh War.

If the UK has to give back the diamond then will India allow the independence of the Punjab? Because the only reason it was ever part of the Indian Empire which became India and Pakistan was because of the outcome of this war. Not to mention the 300 million pounds (in today's money) that the UK paid the former Marajah of Punjab as part of this treaty.

Why feel so defensive, Even if we pay back 600 million pounds we know UK wont give it back, Its good to know UK intention in Open, It clears the atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by asgnr View Post
    The Koh-I-Noor diamond was seeded by the Sikh Empire to the UK as part of the Treaty of Bhyowal that ended the Second Anglo-Sikh War.If the UK has to give back the diamond then will India allow the independence of the Punjab? Not to mention the 300 million pounds (in today's money) that the UK paid the former Marajah of Punjab as part of this treaty.

Banned user

It is curious this British eagerness for stones or rocks, movables or immovables.

Quote Originally Posted by churruca View Post
    It is curious this British eagerness for stones or rocks, movables or immovables.
    Yawn...........

Tom Waits is my Batsignal ronnieraygun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by churruca View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Yawn...........
    Bwahahaha.

Why is this news? There are a lot of rooms adorned with looted Holocaust treasures for starters. Churruca's country once had an obsession with other people's gold. They have nice churches like in Cadiz that were built almost entirely on gold stolen from forced indigenous slave labor in the western hemisphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunal Biswas View Post
    Why feel so defensive, Even if we pay back 600 million pounds we know UK wont give it back, Its good to know UK intention in Open, It clears the atmosphere
    Defensive? Because the dude compared the Koh-I-Noor diamond to the mass thefts against the Jews by the Nazis. Two states fought a war and in the peace treaty at the end of it the losing side handed over a diamond, sovereignty and got a lot of cash for their head of state. This is not the holocaust!

Banned user

I wonder what will take for the British museum to give back all the stolen or fraudulently bought historical artifacts.....

Banned user

These demands are the consequences of Western societies to fully embrace a kind of collective guilt that passed over the generations. It is very simple. If you apologize too much, others try to take advantage of that by asking for more and more compensation. If Western societies stopped asking for apologies for generation long passed, these demands would stop to occure.

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolph BG View Post
    I wonder what will take for the British museum to give back all the stolen or fraudulently bought historical artifacts.....
    Most of those things weren't stolen.