Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Argentina's UN denounces the presence of British nuclear submarines in Falkland

  1. #1
    Banned user
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Screwing up and then blaiming others
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,126

    Default Argentina's UN denounces the presence of British nuclear submarines in Falkland

    Source http://www.defensa.com/index.php?opt...ica&Itemid=163

    The Argentine government, through its Deputy Foreign Minister Eduardo Zuain, yesterday denounced the United Kingdom to the World Conference on Disarmament of the UN by the proliferation of nuclear arsenal in the South Atlantic area surrounding the Falkland Islands. The country warned the alleged shipment of nuclear submarines of the Royal Navy with nuclear weapons to the islands, one week before the referendum in which the islanders will vote whether or not they want to continue to belong to the UK.
    Buenos Aires says London has violated the Treaty of Tlatelolco, Mexico and driven force since 1969, an international convention banning nuclear war equipment in Latin America and the Caribbean.
    Zuain criticized the archipelago is one of the most militarized areas in the world: 1,500 3,000 uniformed civilians. "This deployment includes the presence of a powerful naval fighter aircraft generation, an important center of command and control, and electronic intelligence base that allows 'monitor' air and sea traffic in the region," he said. According to the deputy minister, "the British Government has not so far provided clarifications requested on reported incidents, not so far offered any information to corroborate or refute recent displacements of nuclear submarines capable of carrying nuclear weapons".

  2. #2
    Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Plotting to take control of the Organic Farming Board of Cumberland
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,408

    Default

    How does he reconcil the Treaty of Tlatelolco and Argentina's previous efforts to develop their own nuclear arms and submarines?

    As neither Britain nor the Falklands are signatories to the treaty, it really has zero relevence.

  3. #3
    Senior Member happyslapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windsor, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,563

    Default

    This old bollocks again....

    - How could Argentina possibly know if the UK has a submarine in the South Atlantic, given that it lacks the means to detect one, and we're sure as hell not going to tell them.
    - What would it have to do with Arg, if there was an RN sub there anyway.
    - All defence measures in place, are there due to Argentine aggression.
    - The 'nuclear' bull**** is just that... bull****. The boats are nuclear powered, not nuclear armed.

    This is the usual propaganda which comes out of Buenos Aires every now and then. They've not even got the creativity to make something new up, seeing as we've has this "they're sending nukes to South America" crap several times before now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member happyslapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windsor, United Kingdom
    Posts
    7,563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    How does he reconcil the Treaty of Tlatelolco and Argentina's previous efforts to develop their own nuclear arms and submarines?

    As neither Britain nor the Falklands are signatories to the treaty, it really has zero relevence.
    We signed and ratified the additional protocols, which apply to the FI and BOT's in the Caribbean (but not, I believe, to Ascension or St Helena)

  5. #5

    Default

    This is about those islands that Argentina want to claim because someone believes that the remains of a fox skeleton may have belonged to a fox related to a South American fox that Fijian Indians rowed 200 miles over rough waters (day and night with no compass) out to the islands with, just to hunt, and that pre-dated the first British settlements there in the 1700s and the discovery of the uninhabited island in the 1600s.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    Isn't Brazil developing nuclear subs, I'm sure they are going to very supportive of Argentina on this issue. As a neutral it's getting harder harder to even find one positive argument in Argentina's favour, this just seems like another petulant whine they have no way of knowing if there are subs in the area let alone nuclear armed.

  7. #7

    Default

    Every internationally accepted definition of nuclear weapons expressly points out that nuclear power, even for military purposes, is not covered.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,858

    Default

    de Kirchner, please shut up already.

  9. #9
    Senior Member ~UNiOnJaCk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    This old bollocks again....

    - How could Argentina possibly know if the UK has a submarine in the South Atlantic, given that it lacks the means to detect one, and we're sure as hell not going to tell them.
    - What would it have to do with Arg, if there was an RN sub there anyway.
    - All defence measures in place, are there due to Argentine aggression.
    - The 'nuclear' bull**** is just that... bull****. The boats are nuclear powered, not nuclear armed.

    This is the usual propaganda which comes out of Buenos Aires every now and then. They've not even got the creativity to make something new up, seeing as we've has this "they're sending nukes to South America" crap several times before now.
    ^ all of this, and besides even if we were intending on nuking Argentina (as the government in their paranoia seems to think we are going to do) we wouldn't even need to get anywhere close to South America let alone Argentina itself. We could simply park one of our SSBNs out in the Channel and launch the birds from there. Furthermore if what Argentina calls "nuclear weapons" in the Falklands area is what the rest of the world would call an SSN then their argument is (excuse the oncoming pun) shot out of the water anyway. All bluster and no balls. The government’s pathetic mulling and whining has gone from being mildly amusing to just out right tediously annoying.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    781

    Default

    There was a fantastic interview between an Argentine supporter and a British delegate somewhere once where they tried to bring up the whole "SUBMARINES OMG" arguement. The delegate's reply was simple and won the entire interview in one line.

    "Do you know there's a submarine there?"

  11. #11

    Default

    Dear M. of Foreign Relationships of Argentina:

    - Please use google before making any comment, much specially before going to file a complaint at the UN.
    - Please, try not to make any comments at all
    - Please, stop making us look like pathetic whinners
    - Please, if the UK is actually representing a military threat to our country, STFU and start building / buying something to counter it. Crying like little girls will not help at all. Did I mention you make us look like pathetic whinners ? All tears and no preventive measures makes everybody think that either there is no such a threat or you are incompetent to deal with it. Considering the sad level of our armed forces, thanks in a significant part to your masters Nestor and Cristina, we are so defenseless that a British submarine could actually roll on an avenue in Buenos Aires and all we could do is to fine it.
    - Please resign
    - Please choke yourself

    Sincerely

    A citizen sick of your BS

  12. #12
    Senior Member ~UNiOnJaCk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armored_diplomacy View Post

    a British submarine could actually roll on an avenue in Buenos Aires and all we could do is to fine it.
    - Please resign
    - Please choke yourself

    Sincerely

    A citizen sick of your BS
    I actually cried with laughter (at the last two especially)

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    I actually cried with laughter (at the last two especially)
    Iīm glad it gave you a good laugh, but itīs specially sad, UJ, and itīs getting worse and dumber every week.
    These guys have made an incredible effort to put us aside from the world. Itīs not fair.

  14. #14
    Senior Member ~UNiOnJaCk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,888

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by armored_diplomacy View Post
    Iīm glad it gave you a good laugh, but itīs specially sad, UJ, and itīs getting worse and dumber every week.
    These guys have made an incredible effort to put us aside from the world. Itīs not fair.
    Not so much the state of Argentine affairs, as you say it’s kinda sad. But i am a sucker for good sarcasm, i really do appreciate that kind of humour and you hit my funny bone with your post. Apologies if you thought I was laughing at something other than your post.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    Not so much the state of Argentine affairs, as you say it’s kinda sad. But i am a sucker for good sarcasm, i really do appreciate that kind of humour and you hit my funny bone with your post. Apologies if you thought I was laughing at something other than your post.
    No need to apology at all, UJ

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •