Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Iran nuclear talks kick off with low expectations

Default Iran nuclear talks kick off with low expectations

EU foreign policy head Catherine Ashton says she hopes for progress by end of meeting, but officials from six world powers harbor scant confidence for breakthrough

ALMATY, Kazakhstan (AP) — World powers began their fourth round of high-level talks with Iranian officials on Tuesday as negotiators from both sides pledged to offer new ways to break a years-long impasse over Tehran’s nuclear program and its feared ability to make atomic weapons in the future.

(…)

In a statement before the talks began Tuesday afternoon, Interfax news agency cited Russia’s envoy as saying easing of sanctions is possible only if Iran can assure the world that its nuclear program is for exclusively peaceful purposes.

(…)

Iran has been unimpressed with earlier offers by the powers to provide it with medical isotopes and lift sanctions on spare parts for civilian airliners, and new bargaining chips that Tehran sees as minor are likely to be snubbed as well. Iran insists, as a starting point, that world powers must recognize the republic’s right to enrich uranium.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-nu...-expectations/

Iran has a right to enrich uranium, I think that's everyone's right.
    Of course actually building and fielding nuclear weapons should be penalized - but it's hard to say something to Iran when so many other states have such arsenals both declared and undeclared.

Banned user

The Almaty talks will fail because the anti Iran atmosphere in the US senate (which will block any lifting of sanctions)

I find it funny that so much effort (& warmongering) is put around the possible Iranian nuclear program, while Pakistan - a failed & unstable state is allowed to develop bombs and delivery systems as they please, without anyone even sending them a reprimand letter. As far as I'm concerned (and history proves me right) Pakistan is a lot more likely to start some shyt than Iran.

I'm not saying that Iran should be let to do whatever they want, without oversight. I'm saying that Pakistan should be checked & pressed a lot more.

(and before someone points it out - the fact that Pakistan is not a signer of NPT and Iran is, its a silly excuse. Because if Iran withdrew from NPT they would be totally left in peace, right? )

Quote Originally Posted by ZapB View Post
    I find it funny that so much effort (& warmongering) is put around the possible Iranian nuclear program, while Pakistan - a failed & unstable state is allowed to develop bombs and delivery systems as they please, without anyone even sending them a reprimand letter. As far as I'm concerned (and history proves me right) Pakistan is a lot more likely to start some shyt than Iran.

I'm not saying that Iran should be let to do whatever they want, without oversight. I'm saying that Pakistan should be checked & pressed a lot more.

(and before someone points it out - the fact that Pakistan is not a signer of NPT and Iran is, its a silly excuse. Because if Iran withdrew from NPT they would be totally left in peace, right? )
    They'll be under tougher UNSC sanctions, like NK.

Banned user

deleted..................
    Last edited by Mithradatha; 02-26-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Weapons Expert! I play video games ragnarok's Avatar

You do raise a valid point. However, it's more of the intent than anything else. Pakistan just produces their nuke because of their paranoia with India. Iran on the other hand, states that their producing enriched uranium for peacful porposes, but with comments from Amamenijad about destroying Isreal with them, that type of retoric raised red flags. I agree though that Pakistan is a serious problem waiting to go from bad to worst. Iran also is a sponsor for terrorism like Pakistan is, but Iran allows their terroist proxies more freedom with the technology they can use (like homemade artillery rockets) and would give them more support than Pakistan does with their terrorist proxies.

Hmm.. statements likes these shows us that we need nuclear weapons, infact more than supposed 110 figure like at least 200. We know your indian friends dont like it but they are the one who started it.

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

Reason why they are allowed is because they KISS POLITICAL **** yet are so fukin 2 faced , If yer seen as We love the West yer Sorted

'No progress in Iran nuclear talks, atmosphere not good'

[*******#8F8F8F][*******#8F8F8F]By REUTER$[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [*******#8F8F8F]02/27/2013 09:21[/COLOR]
    [LEFT][*******#000000][FONT=lucida grande]
    [/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Final day of talks between Tehran and 6 world powers on Islamic Republic's nuclear program gets underway; source close to talks notes "no particular rapprochement"; Israeli official: Iran thumbing noses at West.

MOSCOW - Six world powers have failed so far to make any clear progress at talks with Iran on its nuclear program, Russian news agency Interfax quoted a source close to the talks as saying on Wednesday.

"So far there is no particular rapprochement. There is an impression that the atmosphere (at talks) is not very good," Interfax quoted the source as saying in the Kazakh city of Almaty where a second day of talks was under way.

(…)

In their latest attempt to break years of deadlock in the dispute, the powers are offering Iran a relaxation of some of the sanctions that are taking a heavy toll on its economy.

"Hopefully the Iranians will be able to reflect overnight and will come back and view our proposal positively," the spokesman for European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who represents the powers in the talks, said.

"The ball is in their court," Michael Mann added after the first day of discussions on Tuesday.

He did not give details of the offer, but other Western officials have confirmed it includes some limited sanctions easing if Iran closes a underground site where it carries out its most controversial uranium enrichment work.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/N...aspx?id=304697

Banned user

From a national security point of view: who in his right mind would close Fordow (hard to destroy) ?

He did not give details of the offer, but other Western officials have confirmed it includes some limited sanctions easing if Iran closes a underground site where it carries out its most controversial uranium enrichment work.

http://www.jpost.com/IranianThreat/N...aspx?id=304697
    They offer them to actually stop nuclear program for minor sanctions easing. The outcome of the negotiations round is predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by K...A..J... View Post
    From a national security point of view: who in his right mind would close Fordow (hard to destroy) ?
    +1

World powers, Iran wrap up crunch nuclear talks

[*******#666666][FONT=Arial]
    Two days of talks in Kazakhstan conclude with no sign of breakthrough; experts to meet in Istanbul in mid-March, negotiations to resume early April
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#646464][FONT=Arial]
    AFP

[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Arial][*******#000000](…)

[/COLOR][*******#000000]Experts will meet to discuss Tehran's nuclear program in Istanbul on March 17-18 and negotiations will resume on April 5-6, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said.[/COLOR]
    [*******#000000]
    (…)

[/COLOR][*******#000000]The second day began with a one-on-one session between EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton - representing the world powers - and chief Iranian negotiator Saeed Jalili.
    [/COLOR]
    [*******#000000]All the nations involved then opened a full plenary session behind closed doors. The first day's session lasted three hours but on the second day it wrapped up in just one hour.[/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000]"Talks have concluded," said a Western official, adding that details of the meeting would be provided shortly. An Iranian official also confirmed that the talks had now concluded, without giving further details.[/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][/COLOR][*******#000000]
    [/COLOR][*******#000000]
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...350119,00.html[/COLOR]

[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by geolocator View Post
    They offer them to actually stop nuclear program for minor sanctions easing. The outcome of the negotiations round is predictable.

+1
    Did you expect them to offer Iran a medal for defying the UNSC?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Camera View Post
    Did you expect them to offer Iran a medal for defying the UNSC?
    6 countries should not have monopoly to rule the world.