Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taliban has been offered peace treaty in Oslo

Default Taliban has been offered peace treaty in Oslo

So 13 years for nothing.........................

People thinking that it's "simply just a matter of slaying them all" to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan have a seriously messed-up perception of how things work over there IMHO. Meaning that, some form of talks and some form of truce/deal needs to be struck with these folk/ilk, like it or not. Luckily for me, these sort of talks are way above my pay-grade and level of things.
    Having said that however; Me, from my point of view having a total of six deployments and 26 months of service in that country find it absolutely amazing how that crook Karzai offered them this:
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]"Karzai sent a message to the Norwegians offering the Taliban the Ministry of Justice and the position of Chief Justice" the source told Al Jazeera. A second source also close to the Afghan Taliban in Doha confirmed the offer.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    This war has been going on for too long IMHO, and the way we've been fighting this war and dealt with almost everything else there has gone from good to bad and as of late descended into pure madness. Afghans will be afghans, in both good and bad - but at the same time, with the way things have been dealt with, i can understand the traditional afghan way of fence-sitting. It's time to head back home with the bulk of it all and put in place other measures to control the enemy. Might as well do a 10 kiloton controlled demolition of all of the surplus equipment left there too. And leave Karzai to hang and dry once we're out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsuitor View Post
    People thinking that it's "simply just a matter of slaying them all" to bring peace and stability to Afghanistan have a seriously messed-up perception of how things work over there IMHO. Meaning that, some form of talks and some form of truce/deal needs to be struck with these folk/ilk, like it or not. Luckily for me, these sort of talks are way above my pay-grade and level of things.
    Having said that however; Me, from my point of view having a total of six deployments and 26 months of service in that country find it absolutely amazing how that crook Karzai offered them this:

This war has been going on for too long IMHO, and the way we've been fighting this war and dealt with almost everything else there has gone from good to bad and as of late descended into pure madness. Afghans will be afghans, in both good and bad - but at the same time, with the way things have been dealt with, i can understand the traditional afghan way of fence-sitting. It's time to head back home with the bulk of it all and put in place other measures to control the enemy. Might as well do a 10 kiloton controlled demolition of all of the surplus equipment left there too. And leave Karzai to hang and dry once we're out.
    I'm totally with you on your points, but once again we will face this issue when the talibans/AQ by peace or by violence overrides the throne and begins to use Afghanistan as a base to conduct attacks outwards, into other countries. So in one way or another, we will have to meet them again, unfortunately.

Weapons Expert! I play video games ragnarok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
    I'm totally with you on your points, but once again we will face this issue when the talibans/AQ by peace or by violence overrides the throne and begins to use Afghanistan as a base to conduct attacks outwards, into other countries. So in one way or another, we will have to meet them again, unfortunately.
    Given the conditions on the ground, I think thats probably what will happen. The only thing to stop or at least hinder this, would be to apply crippling sanctions on Pakistan and force them to quit supporting the Taliban in general.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Marsuitor View Post
    that crook Karzai offered them this:
    My jaw pretty much hit the desk.

Pack up, go home and construct a 20 000 metric mile concrete wall around that sand pit, come around knocking again in 600 years and see if they've left the stone age sums up my emotions pretty much.

This wont end well...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydiaper View Post
    My jaw pretty much hit the desk.

Pack up, go home and construct a 20 000 metric mile concrete wall around that sand pit, come around knocking again in 600 years and see if they've left the stone age sums up my emotions pretty much.
    Good idea.

They have won.

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]
    Karzai sent a message to the Norwegians offering the Taliban the Ministry of Justice and the position of Chief Justice" the source told Al Jazeera. A second source also close to the Afghan Taliban in Doha confirmed the offer.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Right now I'm laughing at the lunacy of Karzai's supposed actions, but if this is confirmed by Western media God help me that man deserves to die.

Quote Originally Posted by NanT View Post

Right now I'm laughing at the lunacy of Karzai's supposed actions, but if this is confirmed by Western media God help me that man deserves to die.
    X2... I have no words...

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

**** them. pull out the troops, cut off the funding... and if they cause a problem bomb them back into the stone-age (not a long trip)

the Ralph Wiggum of Mp.net. timetraveller's Avatar

....The support for the tallys has always come within pakistan ... Mullah omar and Zalwhairi [ sp ] will be having the last laugh

T3ngu and Zorro's Love Child Coattail Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timetraveller View Post
    ....The support for the tallys has always come within pakistan ... Mullah omar and Zalwhairi [ sp ] will be having the last laugh
    is your keyboard broken TT? youre always missing whole words in your sentences.

Karzai sent a message to the Norwegians offering the Taliban the Ministry of Justice and the position of Chief Justice" the source told Al Jazeera. A second source also close to the Afghan Taliban in Doha confirmed the offer.
    Pragmatically speaking, this is actually not such a bad development. Can you imagine offering the taliban control over the Ministry of Defense or Foreign Ministry?

If giving these guys the ministry of justice (so that they can implement their anachronistic Sharia law and stone a couple of people once in a while) will buy peace in Afghanistan and more importantly continued Western influence over the military and foreign affairs, why not?

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

If indeed true, we will never forget this