Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Krauthammer:Worst Case Scenario For Left Is If Sequester Occurs And We Come Out Alive

  1. #1
    Not Goat Roping Shermbodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16,814

    Default Krauthammer:Worst Case Scenario For Left Is If Sequester Occurs And We Come Out Alive

    [*******#000000][FONT=Georgia]CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Cutting is always attractive in the abstract but in the details it rarely is because there are constituencies who get affected if you have cuts. But the cynicism of the campaign of this administration is astonishing. The assumption is that somehow at every stage of the expansion of the liberal federal government we have reached a platonic ideal and that if you cut a dollar off that, it's as if God had devised exactly the size of government America needs and any cut leads to Armageddon. [/FONT][/COLOR]

    [*******#000000][FONT=Georgia]What we're talking about here is two cents on the dollar. Every dollar the government spends today, 35 cents is borrowed from the Chinese and others. What is going on here is ending up in a position where we borrow not 35, but 33 cents, and that is going to bring Armageddon. An example of the cynicism of this campaign, is one lobbyist for the liberal causes leading 3,000 organizations in opposing the cuts, who told [/FONT][/COLOR]The Washington Post the following: 'The worst case scenario is the sequester hits and nothing really bad happens.'

    Think of the cynicism of that. The worst case scenario is that the government makes a small, minuscule cut in spending on the way to beginning of a journey of recovery in to fiscal health, and that it doesn't hurt us, we actually come out of it alive. And, that to them, is the worst case. It means, think of how they are weighing the national interest, which needs a cut in spending and these parochial special interests.

    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...out_alive.html

  2. #2
    A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,254

    Default

    Of course we'll come out alive, just like we survived the Great Depression. Whether our place in the world will be the same after the dust settles is the real question.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    Of course we'll come out alive, just like we survived the Great Depression. Whether our place in the world will be the same after the dust settles is the real question.
    Great Depression?? Are you referring to the sequester or the Obama administration's policies, of which sequestration is a small part of.

  4. #4
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leading maxima10 around by the nose.
    Posts
    23,819

    Default

    What'll happen is that nothing will happen but Barry & Co. will trot out a bunch of "mulitcultural" homeless people, point, and shout, "THIS is what the ebil, racist GOP did to America!!" (Nevermind that Barry WANTED the sequester to happen and threatened to veto any effort to avoid it.) The usual Kool-Aid drinkers will nod to themselves and give an, "Amen Brother!" Rinse and Repeat 24/7 on liberal media.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern Hemisphere
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    What'll happen is that nothing will happen but Barry & Co. will trot out a bunch of "mulitcultural" homeless people, point, and shout, "THIS is what the ebil, racist GOP did to America!!" (Nevermind that Barry WANTED the sequester to happen and threatened to veto any effort to avoid it.) The usual Kool-Aid drinkers will nod to themselves and give an, "Amen Brother!" Rinse and Repeat 24/7 on liberal media.

    Exactly. The sequester is nothing compared to what this nation needs to do regarding it's spending. All it is is a decrease in the insane increase in spending. We're still spending more this year than last year, even with the sequester.

  6. #6
    Not Goat Roping Shermbodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
    Exactly. The sequester is nothing compared to what this nation needs to do regarding it's spending. All it is is a decrease in the insane increase in spending. We're still spending more this year than last year, even with the sequester.
    I was listening to a Senator today explaining that if we just spend 1% less every year we would hit a balanced budget in a decade. He said that would never happen because it is considered such a extreme idea.

  7. #7
    Senior Member [WDW]Megaraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Making people mad...
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    Problem is, the sequester doesn't begin to tackle entitlement reform which is the real threat to America's financial viability.

  8. #8
    Member rl64rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    None of your beeswax
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Bowles-Simpson had it mostly right . . . to bad they're being ignored.

    RL

  9. #9
    Not Goat Roping Shermbodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    Problem is, the sequester doesn't begin to tackle entitlement reform which is the real threat to America's financial viability.
    Quote Originally Posted by rl64rl View Post
    Bowles-Simpson had it mostly right . . . to bad they're being ignored.

    RL
    True on both points. I don't know how they can't see this? Maybe the corruption is systematic?

  10. #10
    Senior Member [WDW]Megaraptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Making people mad...
    Posts
    7,797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    Maybe the corruption is systematic?
    If you cut entitlements, you obviously hate the poor, black people, minorities, women, the elderly and children. And you're just trying to help your rich banker friends.

    Hence, it's easier to do nothing.

  11. #11
    Not Goat Roping Shermbodius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    16,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    If you cut entitlements, you obviously hate the poor, black people, minorities, women, the elderly and children. And you're just trying to help your rich banker friends.

    Hence, it's easier to do nothing.
    Good point. I do believe that Texas will secede from the union. Our constitution is not a suicide pact.

  12. #12
    Miss Convicted 2009 SBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dividing my time between the far east and the east coast.
    Age
    30
    Posts
    21,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    If you cut entitlements, you obviously hate the poor, black people, minorities, women, the elderly and children. And you're just trying to help your rich banker friends.

    Hence, it's easier to do nothing.
    You cut entitlements, you cut votes. Simple as that.

  13. #13
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why is me not banned?
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    You cut entitlements, you cut votes. Simple as that.
    Do you think the Republicans would cut costs (votes)?

  14. #14
    How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Leading maxima10 around by the nose.
    Posts
    23,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydiaper View Post
    Do you think the Republicans would cut costs (votes)?
    They'd gladly kill Obamacare given the opportunity. That would be a start, albeit a relatively small one.

  15. #15
    Banned user
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    why is me not banned?
    Posts
    2,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    They'd gladly kill Obamacare given the opportunity. That would be a start, albeit a relatively small one.
    Do you think they'd cut this one?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicar...ernization_Act

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •