Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: White House Grants Aaron Swartz's Wish: Taxpayer-Funded Research Will Be Free

A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day

Default White House Grants Aaron Swartz's Wish: Taxpayer-Funded Research Will Be Free

[*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]Aaron Swartz, a well-known Internet activist who killed himself last month, believed that information should free, not digitized and put behind pay walls.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]"The world's entire scientific and cultural heritage, published over centuries in books and journals, is increasingly being digitized and locked up by a handful of private corporations," he once wrote.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]The Obama administration just granted his wish -- at least as it pertains to research funded by taxpayers.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]The White House directed federal agencies on Friday to make the results of federally-funded research freely available to the public within one year of publication. The new policy came after more than 65,000 people signed a petitionasking for expanded public access to the results of studies paid for by taxpayers.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Georgia]"Americans should have easy access to the results of research they help support," John P. Holdren, the president's senior advisor on science and technology, said in a memo announcing the new open-access policy.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ref=technology

A neat gesture, kudos.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Yeah, neat. It was so unfair to make China work for it so let's just give it to them.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by C.Puffs View Post
    Yeah, neat. It was so unfair to make China work for it so let's just give it to them.
    Yeah because the Chinese would find it hard to come up with the funds to get a "Nature" or "American-Geophysics" etc. subscription.

Banned user

You just keep on giving with your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydiaper View Post
    You just keep on giving with your posts.
    You're not very bright are you?

Glad my tax dollars are being used effectively.

Banned user

You're not very bright are you?
    Actually I am.

And you're a ****-head.

Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    Glad my tax dollars are being used effectively.
    By everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydiaper View Post
    Actually I am.

And you're a ****-head.
    (I'm probably going to regret actually taking you seriously but. . .) Okay, so why do you think it's a good idea to give all knowledge gained with tax dollars to competing countries?

How stupid can one be to believe this? Obama's presidency has done wonders to Conservatives. China hacks into most secure corporate data bases but has a hard time raiding Lexus-Nexus for some articles? This is a positive move that will only benefit society. Most academics that are involved public research do not profit from their work while publishers and online libraries rake in money, never made sense!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Note in the original statement "Within one year of publication". If it was secret squirrel stuff, it wouldn't be published - paywall or not.

Be happy, a lot of scientific material of public interest - and used to influence public decisions - is unavailable to the people who pay for it and are affected by such decisions. Climate Change research springs to mind as an example where instead of releasing the data, you get a press release. That won't be possible in future.
    So they're going to publish what's already been published? What?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexx View Post
    So how do you know that state secret research is covered by this? Could you provide a link to where military technology companies will be forced to open their gates for the Chinese inelligences service?

"[FONT=Georgia]make the results of federally-funded research freely available to the public within one year of publication[/FONT]"

Does it say what will be shared and what won't? Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by JJC View Post
    How stupid can one be to believe this? Obama's presidency has done wonders to Conservatives. China hacks into most secure corporate data bases but has a hard time raiding Lexus-Nexus for some articles? This is a positive move that will only benefit society. Most academics that are involved public research do not profit from their work while publishers and online libraries rake in money, never made sense!
    Okay, so say the government makes a break through in the manufacturing of carbon nanotubes. Something that's so good it could effectively replace carbon fiber in the production of military aircraft. We should just give that away?

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

So they're going to publish what's already been published? What?
    "[FONT=Georgia]make the results of federally-funded research freely available to the public within one year of publication[/FONT]"

Does it say what will be shared and what won't? Nope.

Read the article! Stuff still get published behind a paywall. It can stay there for up to a year. After that it's available to all. Not that complicated.

What on earth makes you think that TS stuff gets "published" in the first place?????

Banned user

(I'm probably going to regret actually taking you seriously but. . .) Okay, so why do you think it's a good idea to give all knowledge gained with tax dollars to competing countries?
    Well firstly, almost all (except the ones federally/corporately censored) scientific researches worth the paper its written on end up on online journals shared with other Universities and other establishments. So unless you think getting a few chinamen into a couple of American/European colleges to access anything and everything in between is what's preventing them from getting these researches (assuming they just don't hack the damn databases to begin with), I'd say your statement is a bit off.

Have you even done a scientific research report yourself to begin with?

Unpopular Nonentertaining Member Abolith's Avatar
    Next to death valley... it's damn hot out here :(

if it's classified or above it wouldn't get "published" either way as it's national security stuff...