Thread: ID Bomber

Default ID Bomber

This photo of bomber was taken during 1944 in alleged Allied bombing of Karlovac, Croatia.

What`s puzzling is that bomber looks like Dornier 17 , which could indicate that Allies didn`t bomb the town but Germans?!

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Very puzzling. The only Allied WW2 bomber I know that had twin tails and would have been in the vicinity is the B25, but that doesn't look like a B25. The very long skinny tail and inline engines make it almost look like a Soviet PE-2. How confident are you in the accuracy of the photo's caption?

Looks like Do-17 M or P version... It looks like a two engine and twin tail bomber, to my knowledge the only allied twin engined and twin tailed bomber at that time was B-25 and this doesn't really look like one...

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Very puzzling. The only Allied WW2 bomber I know that had twin tails and would have been in the vicinity is the B25, but that doesn't look like a B25. The very long skinny tail and inline engines make it almost look like a Soviet PE-2. How confident are you in the accuracy of the photo's caption?
    Soviets never reached Karlovac , and partisans never had Pe-2. Town fell to Yugoslav army in the late April of 1945... That is why it`s puzzling , the town was firmly in German control till the end of war...

The collection of photos appeared in photo site "KA-fotka" , at first i thought it was mistake , that it could be 1941 bombing during April war in Yugoslavia but then i noticed uniformed Homeguards on other photos and on one photo Ustasha with black uniform....

Hmm...honestly I can't find any allied aircraft with similar characteristics and proprtions.

You can see the rest of the photos here http://www.kafotka.net/galerije/karl...ca-1944-godine
    They say it was an allied attack... I don't think that allied air attack in 1944 would have involved only one aircraft..

Quote Originally Posted by zg18 View Post
    ...The collection of photos appeared in photo site "KA-fotka" , at first i thought it was mistake , that it could be 1941 bombing during April war in Yugoslavia but then i noticed uniformed Homeguards on other photos and on one photo Ustasha with black uniform....
    Yes that's why I wondered if it could have been mis-identified. Maybe a picture from elsewhere.

Does anyone else notice white paint on the bottom of the Cockpit?

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightRambler View Post
    You can see the rest of the photos here http://www.kafotka.net/galerije/karl...ca-1944-godine
    They say it was an allied attack... I don't think that allied air attack in 1944 would have involved only one aircraft..
    Well it could have been a single lost aircraft - navigation pre GPS days was notoriously difficult to do at low level. But I do agree that the aircraft in the photo doesn't look like any commonly used allied aircraft in 1944.

Pe-2 had distinctively stubbier nose and shorter tail boom. There were some used by Finnish Air Force, but no way those could fight in Croatia unnoticed.

(not the same angle but close)

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/325/77/0

I think we have a winner.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

**deleted**

I found out that during the war, several Croatian air force Do-17s defected to the Partisan held territories, so it is likely that this is one of them...

This is definitely one of the early Yugoslavian Flying Pencils.
    The Croats had a few of them, but most of their Do's were later Do-17Zs with blunt noses
    They did have 11 Do-17Ka and apparently another 6 early model Do-17Es delivered from Germany.

Could it be that this was actually a croatian plane on either a practice run or a sortie against partisans?
    For civilians it would just have been some plane bombing something, and since allied raids were by 44 much more common than axis sorties they might simply have taken a crotian bombing run for a allied one.

http://www.kafotka.net/galerije/karl...ca-1944-godine
    Found the original page with more and clearer photos of the single plane dropping two bombs.
    Definitely a early model Do-17
    You should post this one to Axis history forums

"Mystery" is solved, crew of that Do-17 switched sides and joined partisans , they bombed Karlovac on their way to Bosnia where they joined partisans.