Thread: Cali is goin' down the tur'let

Teegeeack-awaiting the triumphal return of Mighty Xenu

Default Cali is goin' down the tur'let

[*******#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]In his state of the state speech, Brown claimed, "California lost 1.3 million jobs in the Great Recession, but we are coming back at a faster pace than the national average." The first half of Brown's statement is true, but the second half is not. California has only gained back 556,000 jobs since the recession ended, or 42 percent of those lost -- well below the national average of 60 percent regained. As a result, California's unemployment rate is still near double-digits at 9.8 percent. By comparison, Texas, which lost 427,000 jobs during the recession, has gained them all back and created an additional 265,000.

[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]California is no longer a model that other states want to or should emulate. It currently has the nation's third highest unemployment rate, its highest poverty rate and more than one-third of the nation's welfare recipients.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...a-failed-state

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]During the Great Depression, some 1.3 million Americans容pitomized by the Joad family in John Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath"庸locked to California from the heartland. To keep out the so-called Okies, the state enacted a law barring indigent migrants (the law was later declared unconstitutional). Los Angeles even set up a border patrol on the city limits. Soon the state may need to build a fence to keep latter-day Joads from [/FONT][/COLOR]leaving[*******#000000][FONT=Arial].[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Over the past two decades, a net 3.4 million people have moved out of California for other states. But contrary to conservative lore, there has been no millionaires' march to Texas or other states with no income tax. In fact, since 2005 California has experienced a net in-migration of households earning more than $200,000, according to the U.S. Census's American Community Survey.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]As it happens, most of California's outward-bound migrants are low- to middle-income, with relatively little education: those typically employed in agriculture, construction, manufacturing, hospitality and to some extent natural-resource extraction. Their median household income is about $40,000葉wo-thirds of the statewide median預nd about 95% earn less than $80,000. Only one in 10 has a college degree, compared with 30% of California's population. Roughly 40% of the people leaving are Hispanic.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

[*******#000000][FONT=Arial]In his State of the State address this year, Gov. Jerry Brown boasted: "We have the inventors, the dreamers, the entrepreneurs, the venture capitalists. . . . When I first came to Sacramento, Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak had not yet invented their personal computer. There was no wind-generated electricity, and we didn't have the nation's most advanced building and appliance efficiency standards as we later adopted."[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=Arial]Recall, however, that the Okies用oor as they may have been用rovided a gigantic pool of labor that fueled California's postwar boom and helped transform the Golden State into the world's eighth-largest economy. The Democrats who have had firm control of the state during its years of decline would do well to remember that a society's most valuable asset is always its people, regardless of their wealth or clout.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...inion_newsreel

Quote Originally Posted by The San Luis Obispo Tribune
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]Gov. Jerry Brown did another victory lap in Washington late last month, suggesting during a national governors' conference that California had shown the way to resolve the federal government's budget woes by balancing the state budget after years of deficits.[/FONT][/COLOR][*******#333333][FONT=Arial]It's a drum that he's been beating ever since voters passed Proposition 30, which temporarily raises sales and income taxes by about $6 billion a year. He unveiled a new budget in January that he claims is balanced and during his State of the State address in late January called it "a solid and enduring budget."[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]But how legitimate is Brown's claim? It's shaky, if one looks at the numbers and assumptions behind the rhetoric.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#333333][FONT=Arial]It assumes that the revenues in the budget are valid, but in fact no one knows whether increasing the marginal income tax rate on high-income taxpayers could lead them to either move from California or shelter their incomes, particularly capital gains, from the state's reach.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#000000][FONT=sans-serif]
    Read more here: http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2013/03...#storylink=cpy[/FONT][/COLOR]

My bro would love to move, but half of his employees are urban hipster-types who would rather quit and move in with their parents than transfer to Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by shuredgefan View Post
    My bro would love to move, but half of his employees are urban hipster-types who would rather quit and move in with their parents than transfer to Texas.
    I'd move in heartbeat if my company asked me to transfer somewhere, anywhere, but preferably a gun friendly state.

I'm putting some feelers out for LE jobs in states around me with good gun laws, like Oregon, Nevada and Arizona.

Unpopular Nonentertaining Member Abolith's Avatar
    Next to death valley... it's damn hot out here :(

Quote Originally Posted by shuredgefan View Post
    http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...a-failed-state

that's the problem my buddies business has, too many people wont move with the company. so he is setting up another office in the panhandle, and when he has enough trained people he is closing the cali office and offering to move anyone who wants to go. he figures it's going to be a 2-3 year project to get things operating smoothly, but he IS taking the company out of here...