Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAID modification for BDU

Default RAID modification for BDU

Hi guys,
    I´d like to know if anybody of you made a RAID modification to his BDU blouse by himself. If so, could you tell me how to get the pockets on the sleeves of the blouse with a sewing machine ? I bought myself a nice set of Tiger *****e BDUs by Tru Spec and I´d like to modify them myself, but I don´t know how I can get the pockets on the sleeves with a standard sewing machine, everything else is clear.
    Thanks in advance !

Generally it's difficult because you can't manoeuvre a normal sewing machine down the arm. Generally pockets are put on before the sleeve is formed.

Yeah, exactly this is the problem. But I´ve seen pics of people who claimed to have done the RAID modification on BDUs by themselves. Unfortunatly nobody provided a detailed description of how he got it on the sleeve.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBär View Post
    Yeah, exactly this is the problem. But I´ve seen pics of people who claimed to have done the RAID modification on BDUs by themselves. Unfortunatly nobody provided a detailed description of how he got it on the sleeve.
    Remove the sleeves, sew on pocket, then sew the sleeves back on?

You'd have to remove them, and split the seam.

You could ask a seamstress to do it, they probably have access to sewing machines that could do it and it's not going to cost that much

Sew it by hand

The Garlic Fields of Transylvania, Romania.

My view:-

Leave sleeve attached to jacket, open seam from the cuff too under the armpit, open out material, sew on pockets(s),

resew sleeve seam. Job done and dusted.

Does anyone ever actually have stuff in these sleeve pockets? all i ever see them used for is tons of morale patches...

Quote Originally Posted by supercontra View Post
    Sew it by hand
    This. I moved the pockets from the bottom of a cammy blouse to the sleeve by hand. It was pretty damned easy. It took the space of sitting in front of the TV for one movie. Pics here in this thread:
    http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...s-photos/page2
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Does anyone ever actually have stuff in these sleeve pockets? all i ever see them used for is tons of morale patches...
    I use the shoulder pockets on my utilities all the time in the field. They hold tobaco, a compass, a note pad for writing, a lighter, whatever. They are very handy because they are in a place where they don't get bumped or rubbed by equipment or vehicles unlike other pockets and aren't covered by a flak jacket.

i tried clothing with upper sleeve pockets and decided never to put anything in them, the bulk was a pain in the ass. even the zippers of a small pocket on a fleece jacket i had, were...

Normally, not useful, but they become very useful when you wear body armour or a chest rig.

Quote Originally Posted by StuRat View Post
    Normally, not useful, but they become very useful when you wear body armour or a chest rig.
    Or if you like a drop leg holster (I do not) or drive a vehicle that is extremely cramped.

Riggers can do the mods for you for cheat or barter alla beer

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBär View Post
    But I´m afraid that if I do that it might look just as ****y as my sewing skills are
    Use green thread, no will know Honestly, if you mess up, pop the stitching and start over. A man needs to know how to take care of his own garment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    Use green thread, no will know Honestly, if you mess up, pop the stitching and start over. A man needs to know how to take care of his own garment.
    Yeah, I´ll propably practice with my old Woodland BDU top before I touch my new Tiger *****es.