Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chosin: The epic Korean War battle Hollywood overlooked

Bite my shiny metal ass! beNder's Avatar

Default Chosin: The epic Korean War battle Hollywood overlooked

Seoul (CNN) -- North Korea's underground nuclear test site, Punggye-ri, is set amid terrain appropriate for its purpose: The mountainous, northeastern province of Hamgyong, which borders China and Siberia, is one of the most inhospitable winter landscapes in Asia.

But this grim, forbidding province, which is also home to the notorious Yodok labor camp, seized the attention of the wider world half a century before Pyongyang's nuclear tests and claims of human rights abuses made headlines.

Hamgyong witnessed arguably the most harrowing battle fought by U.S. or British troops since World War II, a forgotten epic that offers every ingredient for the perfect war movie: an embattled force, towering odds, murderous combat and treacherous weather.

Yet 60 years after the Korean War ended, and with the number of surviving veterans rapidly dwindling, the dramatic story of what took place at Chosin Reservoir has so far eluded the silver screen.

"It's an amazing story," said Brian Iglesias, a former U.S. Marine, Iraq veteran and independent film producer. "It's unbelievable what they did, from both a military and a human standpoint."
    Source

I can't remember the last time I watched a war movie of any sort. Its been years. But I would probably watch this one.

One of my high school history teachers was a marine in the Chosin campaign. My father (who taught at the same school) made a point of telling me about what he did and gave me a book to read about it. I was always in awe of the man. I've since read as many books as I could find on that battle.

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

Still think it'd be better as an HBO series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    This. Something based solely off 2/7 Fox Company would be outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    Yeah HBO has done a great job with past productions and you can tell ahell of a lot more story in 12 hours than you can 2.

HBO/CINEMAX are very good platforms- very good!! I am so glad Mr. Iglesias - a Marine vet himself- is able to bring this battle to lite... Hopefully there will be money to bring these forgotten tales to life..Chesty Puller and the Chosin without a doubt are one of the most dramatic points in our military history. Yet the Korean vets were not after glory. They as most just wanted to return to "life" and live a peaceful life. Yet the valor, the metal they exsposed to and for there fellow vets goes unnoticed except to those who saw it first hand. And unfortunantly those vets are being lost daily.....Lets not forget these vets!!

I think we need to keep in perspective that this battle was a "loss". It was a giant retreat of epic proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle9294 View Post
    I think we need to keep in perspective that this battle was a "loss". It was a giant retreat of epic proportions.
    And yet in the Marine Corps it is seen as one of our finest hours. And with good reason.

Thermopylae was a victory for Persia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrrhic_victory

Quote Originally Posted by Ratamacue View Post
    And yet in the Marine Corps it is seen as one of our finest hours. And with good reason.

To each his own I guess. I'm a realist which is rare in our culture these days.

It was a defeat for the US but a victory for the Marine Corps.

MacArthurs amazing denial had placed the 1st MarDiv in a position where, according to all rules of warfare, it should have been anihilated.
    It wasn't so it is a victory
    Helping 1st MarDiv breaking out diverted a lot of US resources, on the other hand the battle also kept a large number of chinese divisions from engaging farther south in Korea.

Something similar happened on a much larger scale in 1944 in the Kamenets-Podolsky Pocket
    The "moving pocket Hube"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamenets-Podolsky_Pocket

The tacticians got it wrong, them men in the foxholes still fought hard. Just because it's a 'loss' doesn't mean it should be forgotten.

Attachment 197510

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    It was a defeat for the US but a victory for the Marine Corps.

MacArthurs amazing denial had placed the 1st MarDiv in a position where, according to all rules of warfare, it should have been anihilated.
    It wasn't so it is a victory
    Helping 1st MarDiv breaking out diverted a lot of US resources, on the other hand the battle also kept a large number of chinese divisions from engaging farther south in Korea.

Something similar happened on a much larger scale in 1944 in the Kamenets-Podolsky Pocket
    The "moving pocket Hube"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamenets-Podolsky_Pocket
    The 1st Marine division was amazing in the Korean conflict. I don't deny that.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

To each his own I guess. I'm a realist which is rare in our culture these days.
    Oh please do go on, we'd love to hear more of your pedantic condescension. I'm sure the Marines around here are waiting on pins and needles...