Thread: Special Operations: America's Secret Soldiers

Default Special Operations: America's Secret Soldiers

Tom of Mumbai's fluffer ubermensche's Avatar
    On a beach, having a nice BBQ with Marine SEALs.

There are so many movies, documentaries, TV shows and books on them that I doubt that we can still call them "secret".

In media: secret = declassified.

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensche View Post
    There are so many movies, documentaries, TV shows and books on them that I doubt that we can still call them "secret".
    x2. Differing levels of secrecy however. US Special Forces generally have a different attitude towards secrecy compared to, say the UKSF for example. Usually in the UK if a unit is secret it pretty much is that. You may know of its existence and that is about as far as it goes unless you are in the right circles. I have found the US to be more open about the Special Forces, not to the point where OPSEC is compromised or anything like that. They are just publicised more like you say.

Sometimes it pays to flex your muscles, wasnt there an incident in the 90s at a US prison where a riot took place and when the inmates found out that Delta Force was on the way they surrender.
    Now if something like that happens in Romania and the inmates are told that the "Phantoms" are on their way, the only answer would be "who ?"

A colleague of mine was overheard talking about one of our 'customers' whilst away on a course. He's now been removed from post, had his security vetting revoked and will never work around 'them' again. And has pretty much put a stop to his career too, that's how the UK deals with breaches of policy.

Tom of Mumbai's fluffer ubermensche's Avatar
    On a beach, having a nice BBQ with Marine SEALs.

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    x2. Differing levels of secrecy however. US Special Forces generally have a different attitude towards secrecy compared to, say the UKSF for example. Usually in the UK if a unit is secret it pretty much is that. You may know of its existence and that is about as far as it goes unless you are in the right circles. I have found the US to be more open about the Special Forces, not to the point where OPSEC is compromised or anything like that. They are just publicised more like you say.
    Yeah, way too publicised if you ask me. And I forgot to mention that the USASOC, SOCOM, Navy SEALs and Rangers all have OFFICIAL Facebook pages.

Senior Member Chairborne Ranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubermensche View Post
    Yeah, way too publicised if you ask me. And I forgot to mention that the USASOC, SOCOM, Navy SEALs and Rangers all have OFFICIAL Facebook pages.
    Double edged sword. Ninjas make for good recruiting tools.

Quote Originally Posted by droopy View Post
    Sometimes it pays to flex your muscles, wasnt there an incident in the 90s at a US prison where a riot took place and when the inmates found out that Delta Force was on the way they surrender.
    Now if something like that happens in Romania and the inmates are told that the "Phantoms" are on their way, the only answer would be "who ?"

Delta force is a poor example as i would say they are one of the least publicised of the US Special Forces units. The SEALs on the other hand have way too much info in the public domain for my liking. DF is still perhaps a little more publicised than the likes of the SAS but still on the whole one of the most secretive units in the world. The likes of Delta Force and the SAS are known by name and deeds which helps to create their public reputation, note 'public reputation' I.E. the stuff they don't mind you hearing about.

The SAS produced similar results to the example you mention here with regards to one of the hostage situations they were deployed to deal with. The mere mention over the radio that the SAS were being readied convinced the hostage takers to lay down their arms without a fuss. Goes to show you can earn your reputation via other means than publicising yourself.

To provide an example of just how seriously secrecy is treated in UKSF dealings, the SAS, a byword for secrecy in the Special Forces world, are considered the most public of the UK's Special Forces units. There are a whole host of others that the good majority of the general public wouldn't even be able to name. The SRR (formerly Intelligence company 14 for the most part), the so called 'increment' (majorly secretive, they are only rumoured to exist) etc. No one has ever heard of these, but most people could tell you the names of a good majority of US Special Forces units.

I won't say that they take OPSEC less seriously; they just have a different, more open and arguably less strict approach to it than others do.