Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK Army Pistol Test Question

Default UK Army Pistol Test Question

Recently the British Army picked the Glock 17 Gen 4 as their new service pistol after a trial. According to a news article I read, the other contenders were the Sig P226, S&W M&P9, Beretta PX4 9mm and the HK P30. The glock was cited as performing substantially better then the competition.

I was wondering if any of our UK members or anybody had any info on how these trials were conducted, the performance of the individual guns, how much price played a factor (I imagine that was a big issue with the P226 and P30) and how the ultimate decisions was made.

I'd say the level where the decision was made, would be a bit higher than where our members are at.

Well I didn't know if any documents had been released or anything like that. What I'm after is what tests were conducted and how each pistol actually held up. I'm just curious is all. I own all of them except the P30 and the Beretta and I've found them all to be extremely reliable. I'm just wondering what their decisions were based on.

Psshhhh the Glock is just clearly better than those other pistols and the MoD could see it.
    Although I do believe it is true.

All of them are good. Of mine, I've had one FTE out of my P226 when it was brand new during the break in period, and no stoppages ever out of the G17 gen 4 or the M&P9. I'm sort of suprised the M&P didn't get picked because it's basically just a more comfortable glock. They've been taking a lot of glock's LE contracts lately on this side of the pond.

Recently fired the Glock (previously been used to the Browning). Gleaming imo.

Quote Originally Posted by happyslapper View Post
    Recently fired the Glock (previously been used to the Browning). Gleaming imo.
    People raised concerns about the Glock supposedly being hard to get used to when firing, has that been the case for you, or is it a gun that even a newbie could take to and use quite efficiently?

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    People raised concerns about the Glock supposedly being hard to get used to when firing, has that been the case for you, or is it a gun that even a newbie could take to and use quite efficiently?
    If a stab like me managed it...! If you needed to use it for real, it would be at least as easy as the Browning. If you've got a stoppage on your primary, the drills are the same.

Give me a Sig over a Glock anyday...

If a stab like me managed it...! If you needed to use it for real, it would be at least as easy as the Browning. If you've got a stoppage on your primary, the drills are the same.
    As i understand it the Browning was a pretty black and white gun to operate. No real drama, easy to use proficiently? At least that is the impression some bootnecks I spoke to gave me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    As i understand it the Browning was a pretty black and white gun to operate. No real drama, easy to use proficiently? At least that is the impression some bootnecks I spoke to gave me.
    Yep, still fairly easy to ND on if you're not thinking (and especially if you're very new to the weapon). A very simple weapon* though.
    [*******#d3d3d3]
    *A "gun" to me if still the 4.5in ****er on the fo'c'sle[/COLOR]

Yep, still fairly easy to ND on if you're not thinking (and especially if you're very new to the weapon). A very simple weapon* though.
    [*******#d3d3d3]
    *A "gun" to me if still the 4.5in ****er on the fo'c'sle[/COLOR]
    Point about 4.5" gun duly noted

One thing to keep in mind, the G17 has two advantages over the Sig P226, S&W M&P9, Beretta PX4 9mm and the HK P30.

1. Cost: The MoD is paying US$580 per unit including magazines, spare parts, etc. This is near the MSRP of Glocks in the US and is far cheaper than the $900-$1100 MSRP of the HKP30, SiG P226, and is still better than the $700 of the PX4 and S&W.

2. Lineage (with the possible exception of the P226), the PX4, HK30, and S&W guns are relative newcomers with under ten years in the field. The G17 has been in hard service for going on 30 years, has been adopted by a number of NATO armies, and is a mature design that is currently on its fourth generation. It was designed from the ground up to be a simple military handgun and seems to be able to consistently handle all manner of abuse and still perform. Just Google Glock Torture Test and see for yourself.

I do love the old HP, but the Glock is the free world's right arm now.

1. Cost: The MoD is paying US$580 per unit including magazines, spare parts, etc. This is near the MSRP of Glocks in the US and is far cheaper than the $900-$1100 MSRP of the HKP30, SiG P226, and is still better than the $700 of the PX4 and S&W.

I paid $425 for my M&P with night sights and 3 mags. If you pay $700 then you're a sap... Both the Px4 and the M&P come in a little cheaper then the glock at least on the US gun market. There are plenty of police departments in the US that get next to free guns from S&W or Glock just so they can cash in on the accessories and spare parts. I know that is for spare parts for the life of the contract but it sounds like they are getting the shaft on that one...

2. Lineage (with the possible exception of the P226), the PX4, HK30, and S&W guns are relative newcomers with under ten years in the field. The G17 has been in hard service for going on 30 years, has been adopted by a number of NATO armies, and is a mature design that is currently on its fourth generation. It was designed from the ground up to be a simple military handgun and seems to be able to consistently handle all manner of abuse and still perform. Just Google Glock Torture Test and see for yourself.

The gen 4 changed a lot of stuff though internally and had a real rough break in period initially. They had a lot of problems in the 9mm variants. I had to send mine back for a new extractor. The M&P basically is a gen 3 glock internally and is about as reliable as far as I can tell. Both are good.