Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US must shift cars, trucks off of oil

Default US must shift cars, trucks off of oil

[*******#303030][FONT=arial][*******#575757]
    [/COLOR]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [*******#303030][FONT=arial]Envisioning cars that can go "coast to coast without using a drop of oil," President Barack Obama on Friday urged Congress to authorize spending $2 billion over the next decade to expand research into electric cars and biofuels to wean automobiles off gasoline.
    Obama, expanding on an initiative he addressed in his State of the Union speech last month, said the United States must shift its cars and trucks entirely off oil to avoid perpetual fluctuations in gas prices. Citing policies that already require automakers to increase gas mileage, he said he expects that by the middle of the next decade, Americans will only have to fill up their cars half as often.
    "We've set some achievable but ambitious goals," Obama said, speaking at Argonne National Laboratory outside Chicago
    "The only way to break this cycle of spiking gas prices - the only way to break that cycle for good - is to shift our cars entirely, our cars and trucks, off oil," the president said.
    Friday's speech, with its focus on energy, was designed to draw attention to what the White House says is one of Obama's top agenda items for his second term. That focus, however, has been overshadowed as the administration and Congress work on an immigration overhaul, gun legislation and deficit-reduction measures.
    Obama cast his proposal as not only a clean energy plan, but as one meant to create opportunities for economic growth.
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    http://seattletimes.com/html/politic...apusobama.html

I think we have been down this road.
    Contact N. Korea for Unicorn dust, asap.

Sounds like another $2B in taxpayer money is going to vaporize when he gives it to his campaign supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
    Sounds like another $2B in taxpayer money is going to vaporize when he gives it to his campaign supporters.
    Exactly, we're shutting down services, cutting benefits to Vets, laying off workers, etc, yet his cheerleaders are silent? Interesting.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Jesus, what a ****ing clown.

A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day

Meh, $200 mil a year on R&D is a fine use of money if it results in American companies holding patents the world will be running on for the next few decades. Science is expensive - but at least this isn't 'pure' research.

Then again I'd say so, that sort of money goes to people like me.

Quote Originally Posted by eskachig View Post
    Meh, $200 mil a year on R&D is a fine use of money if it results in American companies holding patents the world will be running on for the next few decades. Science is expensive - but at least this isn't 'pure' research.

Then again I'd say so, that sort of money goes to people like me.
    It might as well be all the money in the world if you don't have it. Look around? We're broke. 10 years ago maybe....

A raging feminist's trauma haunts me to this day

Quote Originally Posted by shermbodius View Post
    It might as well be all the money in the world if you don't have it. Look around? We're broke. 10 years ago maybe....
    That deficit is only going to get worse if China beats us to the relevant IP. Maintaining the technical lead is expensive, sad to say. But critical.

If investment isn't done now in tomorrow's technology this situation won't have a chance to improve.
    Electric cars are supposedly the next big thing for the industry - or so I've heard. Securing a position in that market might prove to be more than worth it.

Shift to what ? Unicorn tears ?

I for one am very happy with the amount of research done lately on the bigfoot/yeti/squatch issue. I think that there will be a break through there anyday. I mean have you SEEN Finding BigFoot?

Suspended for infractions

This is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when people were talking about those mythical Japanese imports with more fuel efficient engines which better emmision controls.

Well the American V-8 is still king of the road, research on other forms of engines is just a stupid liberal idea !!!!!!!!!

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxima10 View Post
    This is ridiculous !!!!!!!!!!!

I remember when people were talking about those mythical Japanese imports with more fuel efficient engines which better emmision controls.

Well the American V-8 is still king of the road, research on other forms of engines is just a stupid liberal idea !!!!!!!!!
    *cough* Solendra *cough*

That will happen some day, but I doubt we´ll see that soon, and by soon I mean ... maybe our lifetime.

There are simply too many cars out there to think about a total replacement, and as long as there´s a drop of oil they´ll ffind how to extend its usage for decades.

Also, the internal combustion engine is a culturale thing by now; electric cars may be the future for sure, but for now they´re nothing but expensive fancy little toys which simply can´t compete.

Muscle Cars FTW !

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgor View Post
    Shift to what ? Unicorn tears ?

Banned user

If you look at the money you literally throw at senior citizen and the military you don't seem broke.