Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Democracy and Indian Muslims

Default Democracy and Indian Muslims

Hafiz Muhammad Saeed, the self-confessed leader of the banned outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, may think that Pakistan is the best Islamic nation for the Bollywood star, Shahrukh Khan to move to, but it is India that is arguably the best Muslim country today. Muslims in India enjoy complete political and religious liberty, a free legislative environment to undertake economic and educational initiatives, a vibrant television media and cinema that teach liberal coexistence, and access to a vast number of universities and institutes of modern education. There is absolutely no Muslim country that offers such a vast array of freedoms to its people.
    The organising principles of Indian polity and society are the same that define a western country: a multi-party system, individualism, liberty, a free press and rule of law. As in a western country, consensus about governance, politics and society is moderated by media and political parties and is derived from differences rather than similarities of religion and ideology as in Saudi Arabia or North Korea.
    Indian democracy is a model for all Islamic countries. It is the only country where Muslims have experienced democracy solidly for more than half a century; the other countries where Muslims have had some democratic experience are Indonesia and Turkey but their experiences have been limited to just a few decades. Democracies trust their citizens and are accountable to them. Democracies also bring freedom and economic prosperity for their people.
    http://dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp...6-3-2013_pg3_5

It is ironical that a country that was split by Muslims because they could not live with the Hindus is now seen as the "best Muslim country". As for what happened to the "Paradise for Muslims" which was created for the Pure people I dont really need to comment. And it was even worse for the religious minorities over there.

This article is from a Pakistani paper by a Pakistani.

i agree, from a background of of christian dominated society, I have seen so many of musilm friend hanging out very cool with me. They have no problem what so ever, sometime we booz together tho he doesn't eat pork. when we go for grocery together at one end people sale pork and on other beef/mutton by musilm side by side no problem. Also their is no religious hatred, he would called me for id and his other friend would be hindu, christsian Buddhist etc i am not saying he is exceptional, no, that is what pretty how things are here. yes there were some problem sometime in somewhere, however musilm in India are fairly liberal and cool.

Muslims in India enjoy complete political and religious liberty, a free legislative environment to undertake economic and educational initiatives, a vibrant television media and cinema that teach liberal coexistence, and access to a vast number of universities and institutes of modern education.
    a multi-party system, individualism, liberty, a free press and rule of law.

Indian democracy is a model for all Islamic countries. It is the only country where Muslims have experienced democracy solidly for more than half a century; the other countries where Muslims have had some democratic experience are Indonesia and Turkey but their experiences have been limited to just a few decades.

*cough* *cough* Israel *cough* *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by [WDW]Megaraptor View Post
    *cough* *cough* Israel *cough* *cough*
    We if you read the article the author tries to say that India is already a "western style" democracy.

Israel is already recognized as one and India is not really recognized as one.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by hulaku View Post
    [*******#3E3E3E]"best Muslim country"....................................[/COLOR][*******#3E3E3E]the other countries where Muslims have had some democratic experience are Indonesia and Turkey but their experiences have been limited to just a few decades.
    [/COLOR]
    [*******#3E3E3E][/COLOR]
    The Turkish Republic was founded in 1923 with vote regarding the constitution in the same year (all this without mentioning the Ottoman Parliament). First multiparty elections in 1946. India gained independence in 1947 with first general elections in 1951. Lousy, chest-beating article.
    [*******#3E3E3E]

[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by BorisA View Post
    Lousy, chest-beating article. [*******#3E3E3E][/COLOR]
    Written by a Pakistani for a Pakistani paper

Interesting opinion coming from a Pakistani. I don't know if India is the best place for Muslims, but it is obvious that the worst places for them are most often the Islamic countries.

Banned user

Written by a Pakistani for a Pakistani paper
    And? Does it change the dates and facts? Still a lousy article you are proud of.

And? Does it change the dates and facts? Still a lousy article you are proud of.
    I was refering to the your comment about "chest beating".

Anyway chill.

Banned user

I was refering to the your comment about "chest beating".

Anyway chill.
    It's not about chest beating but about simple research and journalistic accuracy. It took me 2 mins to validate the data. Something I also expect from the writer of the article.

It's not about chest beating but about simple research and journalistic accuracy. It took me 2 mins to validate the data. Something I also expect from the writer of the article.
    You want to compare the democracy in India with that in Turkey ?

Banned user

You want to compare the democracy in India with that in Turkey ?
    Again, I'm talking about historic facts and accuracy. If you want to start a pissing match its your problem.

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

[*******#3E3E3E][/COLOR]
    The Turkish Republic was founded in 1923 with vote regarding the constitution in the same year (all this without mentioning the Ottoman Parliament). First multiparty elections in 1946. India gained independence in 1947 with first general elections in 1951. Lousy, chest-beating article.
    [*******#3E3E3E]

[/COLOR]
    Yeah, except he's referring to the fact India kept its democracy. Whereas say, even Turkey has had its share of coups and etc. Get what he means?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by IconOfEvi View Post
    Yeah, except he's referring to the fact India kept its democracy. Whereas say, even Turkey has had its share of coups and etc. Get what he means?
    And? Spain, Portugal and some others to name had also coups (and with subsequent dictatorships unlike Turkey). However, nobody sane would put India on a level with these countries regarding civil liberties, democratic tradition and functioning. And funny that you do not mention the state of emergencies that India experienced. But Icon don't let me annoy you with hairsplitting.

And? Spain, Portugal and some others to name had also coups (and with subsequent dictatorships unlike Turkey). However, nobody sane would put India on a level with these countries regarding civil liberties, democratic tradition and functioning. And funny that you do not mention the state of emergencies that India experienced. But Icon don't let me annoy you with hairsplitting.
    Ok tough guy try comparing Turkey with India on the Democratic Freedom Index.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:gr...en_and_red.svg

Tell me what you see.

And if you have noticed this article talks about the status of a minority in India ie the Muslims. How about the status of minorities in your country especially the Kurds ?