Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US scraps final phase of European missile shield

Default US scraps final phase of European missile shield

US scraps final phase of European missile shield

The Pentagon announced Friday it will spend $1 billion to add 14 interceptors to a West Coast-based missile defense system, responding to what it called faster-than-anticipated North Korean progress on nuclear weapons and missiles. Defense officials confirm the move, saying it's in response to recent threats from North Korea to attack the U.S. with nuclear weapons.

A portion of the $1 billion cost of the expanded system will come from scrapping the final phase of a missile defense system the U.S. is building in Europe.

The system in Europe is aimed mainly at defending against a missile threat from Iran; key elements of that system are already in place.
    The decision to drop the planned expansion in Europe happens to coincide with President Barack Obama’s 's announced intention to engage Russia in talks about further reducing each country's nuclear weapons arsenal.

US to add 14 interceptors on the West Coast in response to recent threats from North Korea
    The Pentagon announced Friday it will spend $1 billion to add 14 interceptors to a West Coast-based missile defense system, responding to what it called faster-than-anticipated North Korean progress on nuclear weapons and missiles.

Defense officials confirm the move, saying it's in response to recent threats from North Korea to attack the U.S. with nuclear weapons. U.S. officials believe North Korea is incapable of carrying out an attack, but the threat adds to tension between the two countries.
    The Pentagon intends to add the 14 interceptors to 26 already in place at Fort Greely, Alaska. That will expand the system's ability to shoot down long-range missiles in flight before they could reach U.S. territory. In addition to those at Greely, the U.S. also has four missile interceptors at Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif.

The officials confirmed the decision on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Does this mean now US and Russia will talk on further reduction of Nuclear Weapons as Obama wants to do and scrapping 3rd stage of European Defence takes care of Russias Concern on European Missile defence ?

peace to this young warrior without the sound of guns

Interesting. 'didn't know that the initial decision on the GBIs has a knock on effect.

Well....it's not like he didn't tell Medvedev (who said he'd transmit this to Vladimir), that he'd have more flexibility after the election.

Norks successfully trolled US to spend an additional billion or two. Words are the most powerful weapons, indeed.

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
    Norks successfully trolled US to spend an additional billion or two. Words are the most powerful weapons, indeed.
    Hey, at least we weren't stupid enough to give the billion or two to them this time.

I don't think this news is accurate. Any other source?

The member that no one remembers. IconOfEvi's Avatar

Hmmm, just a few days after it's suddenly announced that the Royal Navy's Type 45 destroyers will take part in the American anti-ballistic missile tests, using the Sampson radars and Sea Viper missiles, this is announced, coincidence?, I think not.

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

So, this is the end of the phased adaptive approach? No Aegis Ashore?

A less effective defense than what Bush proposed, and now aren't even building that.

All in a maniacal drive to continue cutting US ICBMs.

Defender of the Man Code muttbutt's Avatar

They are going to be some pissed off people in certain parts of Central and Eastern Europe....

How's that Hopey Changey thing workin'? C.Puffs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Col A. Tack View Post

A less effective defense than what Bush proposed, and now aren't even building that.

All in a maniacal drive to continue cutting US ICBMs.
    I predict Obama will get schooled again. Why should Russia reduce anything when Obama will get rid of his regardless?

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Col A. Tack View Post
    No, the interceptors will stay with the fleet, where they belong. Aegis Ashore is cut and Block IIB will be get slowed down since funding isn't there to do it sooner, but EPAA's other facets such as the radar network and partnership with other Navies are rolling along.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazman View Post
    Well....it's not like he didn't tell Medvedev (who said he'd transmit this to Vladimir), that he'd have more flexibility after the election.
    Yep, just using the Korean thing as cover. It truly amazes me to see how far we have fallen. From the greatest power the world has ever known to a bumbling nation that's leaders are only interested in retreat and surrender. If NK attacked today or Iran got the bomb into Israel I honestly believe we would just have some strong words to say about it and that's it.

I get the weak kneed folks not wanting to spend money on the military, I do, but for the love of god why would you not go all in on a defensive missile shield? The arguments against it are BS. We are fools and we let some of our friends in eastern Europe down. If they are smart they won't trust us on anything that takes longer then four years again.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by muttbutt View Post
    They are going to be some pissed off people in certain parts of Central and Eastern Europe....
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldsteel6d View Post
    Yep, just using the Korean thing as cover. It truly amazes me to see how far we have fallen. From the greatest power the world has ever known to a bumbling nation that's leaders are only interested in retreat and surrender. If NK attacked today or Iran got the bomb into Israel I honestly believe we would just have some strong words to say about it and that's it.

I get the weak kneed folks not wanting to spend money on the military, I do, but for the love of god why would you not go all in on a defensive missile shield? The arguments against it are BS. We are fools and we let some of our friends in eastern Europe down. If they are smart they won't trust us on anything that takes longer then four years again.
    Why? It wasnt in their interest in first place.