Thread: Air Refueling and Flares

Cool Air Refueling and Flares

[SIZE=4]Air Refueling and Flares[/SIZE]

I came across this video where you can see a "KC-135 from the 340th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron refueling a British Royal Air Force Tornado over Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom"

What draws my attention is that almost right after if finishes being refueled it drops flares; some people in the comment section says itīs how he `thanksī for the refueling, but that sounds ... at least odd, considering theyīre ignating a flare so close to a tanker !

I wonder if some of you guys way more informed than me could clarify it. I have some guesses but I rather go to the source.

Thanks in advance.

... So hereīs the vid, take a look and enjoy (no music, just plain engine souds):

and hereīs another from other tanker (no flares this time )

^ Notice that in both cases the KCs are using the Boom-drogue adapter, I wonder if they adapt it depending on what planes they will assist or if they have one with the adapter always set.

The Tankers seem to be from the 137th Air Refueling Wing (137 ARW) and from the 916th Air Refueling Wing (916 ARW)

[IMG]http://i45.*******.com/35nack8.png[/IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/137th_Air_Refueling_Wing

[IMG]http://i45.*******.com/of50lg.png[/IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/916th_Air_Refueling_Wing

Ever wondered how a KC-135 looks from the inside ?
    Take a tour !

And finally, an oh-***** moment, which thankfully didnīt end wrong:

First video is a flight sim not real but cool anyways

I only have some very rough guesses myself but they are probably well off the mark. Maybe it is a form of 'thanks' but i would find that odd like you say. Could have just performed a nice break away role

First suggestion is that perhaps at that particular point in the process the two planes were transiting over an area where intel indicates a higher potential SAM threat thus flares are released as a precaution?

Second suggestion relates to the first (more likely apparently ha) that there is some operational procedure that dictates that flares should be released on break off over hostile territory as the two aircraft make for a more vulnerable target when performing AAR. Aircraft will often release flares regardless of actual threat during vulnerable manoeuvres etc.

Like i said, these are poor suggestions both of which are easily dismissed so they are most likely way off the mark. Sorry i can't help more
    Last edited by ~UNiOnJaCk~; 03-16-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: new information

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
    I only have some very rough guesses myself but they are probably well off the mark. Maybe it is a form of 'thanks' but i would find that odd like you say. Could have just performed a nice break away role

First suggestion is that perhaps at that particular point in the process the two planes were transiting over an area where intel indicates a higher potential SAM threat thus flares are released as a precaution?

Second suggestion relates to the first (but is less likely) that there is some operational procedure that dictates that flares should be released on break off over hostile territory as the two aircraft make for a more vulnerable target when performing AAR. Aircraft will often release flares regardless of actual threat during vulnerable manoeuvres etc.

Like i said, these are poor suggestions both of which are easily dismissed so they are most likely way off the mark. Sorry i can't help more
    Your 2nd guess is correct. It's a procedural defense feature.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerChallenge View Post
    Is that so? :O I would have ruled that one out on the basis that you don't often see other aircraft do the same when breaking off from a tanker even over hostile territory, unless of course i have been watching the wrong kind of footage?? The procedural bit makes plenty of sense, I just haven’t seen it practised all too often (in fact this is the first instance I have seen footage of it in an AAR scenario).

Quote Originally Posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post

Second suggestion relates to the first (more likely apparently ha) that there is some operational procedure that dictates that flares should be released on break off over hostile territory as the two aircraft make for a more vulnerable target when performing AAR. Aircraft will often release flares regardless of actual threat during vulnerable manoeuvres etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerChallenge View Post

Thank you very much guys, itīs clear now.

Quote Originally Posted by awood View Post
    First video is a flight sim not real but cool anyways
    LoL, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    LoL, what?
    I agree WHAT? Not any flight sim I've ever seen.